Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender connection-where the heck is it?

Hi folks,

Have a 2016 F3 Limited. I have read several places that there is a tender connector under the passenger seat. I used the "customer accessory" lead under there to get power to the GPS, but did not see a tender connection. I assume I am looking for a that standard tender connector with the male/female tips that work with all the battery tenders I have seen out there.

Can someone confirm for me what I am looking for?

I searched the manual and this site using all kinds of search combinations. i see a TON of threads about trickle charge vs battery tender, when and when not to use one, etc., but can't find anything regarding where to plug one in.

I have Battery Tender brand tenders attached to all my 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles at all times, and want to get one attached to the Spyder.

thanks!

Jeff

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did not know it had one pre installed

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When you buy one like the Battery Tender Jr. it will come with the pigtail that you attach directly to the battery terminals.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    When you buy one like the Battery Tender Jr. it will come with the pigtail that you attach directly to the battery terminals.
    Yup!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Is the general consensus on here that you use a battery tender over a trickle charger?

Are they not basically the same thing?

Thx in advance for the comments.

Bob

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtown biker View Post
    Is the general consensus on here that you use a battery tender over a trickle charger?

Thx in advance for the comments.

Bob
    Perhaps part of it is the terminology that people use. Battery Tenders recognize when the battery needs charging and keeps it topped off but stops charging otherwise. If by trickle charger you mean any battery charger that is used to charge a battery and just keeps on charging and never stops on its own, then that device will "cook" your battery.
    So depending on your definition, there may or may not be a distinction.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

My charger has a 2A feature for trickle charging and when charged, turns off.

I think the big difference is that my regular charger won't maintain the battery as it slowly discharges over time.

The tender senses the discharge and automatically tops off the battery.

Am I correct here?

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    Perhaps part of it is the terminology that people use. Battery Tenders recognize when the battery needs charging and keeps it topped off but stops charging otherwise. If by trickle charger you mean any battery charger that is used to charge a battery and just keeps on charging and never stops on its own, then that device will "cook" your battery.

Gary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YES.

NO.

A trickle charger will charge at a low level forever if you don't disconnect it. That is bad for most batteries.
    A tender will turn off or drop way down when the charge is full and you don't have to manually turn it off and on.

Spyder Garage

Some dealers will install the pig tail connectors for a battery tender on every bike they sell. You may have seen posts from people that bought from one of these dealers. As far as I know, they don't come from BRP installed.

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post
    Hi folks,

Have a 2016 F3 Limited. I have read several places that there is a tender connector under the passenger seat. I used the "customer accessory" lead under there to get power to the GPS, but did not see a tender connection. I assume I am looking for a that standard tender connector with the male/female tips that work with all the battery tenders I have seen out there.

I searched the manual and this site using all kinds of search combinations. i see a TON of threads about trickle charge vs battery tender, when and when not to use one, etc., but can't find anything regarding where to plug one in.

I have Battery Tender brand tenders attached to all my 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles at all times, and want to get one attached to the Spyder.

thanks!

Jeff
    I have a 2016 F3-T. My battery tender connection is in the frunk. It was obvious when I opened the frunk, as the dealer had threaded it over the frunk gasket. Since this caused a leak in the frunk, I rerouted mine around the edge of the frunk, so that the end of the connector sits in the cavity where the hinge goes when you close it. Perhaps the dealer left yours under the frunk liner and you will find it if you remove the frunk liner (an easy task). I have attached a photo showing the connection between my Battery Tender and the connection in the Spyder frunk.

Wayne

DSC_0155.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Those can also be found at most all auto parts stores.
    I think they are commonly called "SAE battery charger connectors".

Spyder Garage

just got leftover 17 F3t
    just confirmed no pig tail in the frunk
    havent looked under the seat yet for the pig tail
    my impression is that BRP does not install anything to connect the tender/charger

Hi folks,

thanks!

Jeff

Spyder Garage

There is a big difference between a tender (maintainer) and a trickle charger no matter how small the amperage. Don’t leave a trickle charger plugged in all the time. A tender or maintainer can stay plugged indefinitely. It only works when the battery needs it.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

thanks folks. No problem, I can certainly attach one to the battery terminals in the front trunk, if it's not already there.

thanks.

Spyder Garage

thanks folks. No problem, I can certainly attach one to the battery terminals in the front trunk, if it's not already there.

thanks.
    Looks like they have your questions answered.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Gary
    Just to clear this up, a Battery Tender is a battery maintainer sold by the Deltran Company here in Florida. There are other battery maintainers on the market, some of them very good. Itis not a battery charger. There is only one Battery Tender, there are af few different models. If you are confused, or not sure, Google it and see for yourself.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Gary
    https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-t...charger-534853

http://batterychargersexpert.com/wha...attery-tender/
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvedec View Post
    I have a 2016 F3-T. Perhaps the dealer left yours under the frunk liner and you will find it if you remove the frunk liner (an easy task). I have attached a photo showing the connection between my Battery Tender and the connection in the Spyder frunk.

Wayne
    I certainly don’t have a dealer installed tender connector on my 2016 F3-L, Wayne, and it looks like many others don’t either. Perhaps your dealer is one of those who goes “the extra mile”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is the general consensus on here that you use a battery tender over a trickle charger? YES!

Are they not basically the same thing? NO!
    In the strict sense of the terminology they are not the same as cognaccruiser explains. Battery tender is a brand name that has evolved into a generic term, kind of like aspirin and xerox. A battery tender is a battery maintainer. A maintainer squirts a little bit of electricity into the battery as needed to keep it fully charged. A trickle charge continues to send a small current all the time.

To confuse the issue the terms are often used interchangeably so make sure you look closely at the description on the unit. A maintainer will usually use the word maintain. Many maintainers will work as a charger until the battery is fully charged and then change into maintenance mode.

You are wise to be asking before you accidentally ruin a good battery!

Battery Tender brand product is very popular, but there are others out there equally good. I have one from NAPA. Schumacher makes a good one.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-22-2018 at 03:56 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Just to clear this up, a Battery Tender is a battery maintainer sold by the Deltran Company here in Florida. There are other battery maintainers on the market, some of them very good. Itis not a battery charger. There is only one Battery Tender, there are af few different models. If you are confused, or not sure, Google it and see for yourself.
    Of course you are correct. I do as do others and tend to use the name Battery Tender when meaning a battery maintainer. I have a Yuasa version as well as a Battery Tender made by Deltran. And yes Deltran makes a few different versions. I've had one made by Deltran that was sold by BMW for one of my cars that was only driven in the summer. So, no confusion here. Guess it's like saying Kleenex instead of tissue.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    In the strict sense of the terminology they are not the same as cognaccruiser explains. Battery tender is a brand name that has evolved into a generic term, kind of like aspirin and xerox. A battery tender is a battery maintainer. A maintainer squirts a little bit of electricity into the battery as needed to keep it fully charged. A trickle charge continues to send a small current all the time.

To confuse the issue the terms are often used interchangeably so make sure you look closely at the description on the unit. A maintainer will usually use the word maintain. Many maintainers will work as a charger until the battery is fully charged and then change into maintenance mode.

You are wise to be asking before you accidentally ruin a good battery!

Battery Tender brand product is very popular, but there are others out there equally good. I have one from NAPA. Schumacher makes a good one.
    My explanation was simply that a Tender or as other like to say "maintainer" is not the same as a trickle charger for the reason given. I was trying to not be too long winded. My bad.

I think we are all actually on the same page. See my post 20.

Cheers,

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

thanks.
    Good to hear & just a word of caution not all are the same. If u get the battery tender brand they will more than likely have the polarity matching(between charger & pigtail)
    I have found other maintainers with them reversed Glad I checked first.
    My previous unit a Schumacher SP3 auto charger/maintainer 6&12VDC 3Amp
    something killed it (5yr warranty I didn't care) & the replacement, same brand & model just different year the pigtail was backwards, I had to replace it too.
    IMG_8269.jpg I like the unit for the price & features, the display will read % & status. The 5 yr warranty has paid for itself.
    I do use it on few various batteries, car, 2 bikes, & mower.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have always used the Battery Tender Brand on all my cars and bikes. I actually hooked up a pigtail to the battery this afternoon.

I was just hoping there was a connection for it under the passenger seat since now I have to route the pigtail from the battery around the backside of the front trunk bucket and probably cut a hole to run it through in the trough area where the hood hinge is. Not a big deal, but was just hoping for something already in place that was convenient....

thanks everyone!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I have always used the Battery Tender Brand on all my cars and bikes. I actually hooked up a pigtail to the battery this afternoon.

I was just hoping there was a connection for it under the passenger seat since now I have to route the pigtail from the battery around the backside of the front trunk bucket and probably cut a hole to run it through in the trough area where the hood hinge is. Not a big deal, but was just hoping for something already in place that was convenient....

thanks everyone!
    I ran mine out the left side near the suspension.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Bob
    uh...they both plug into the wall, and connect to your battery, but beyond that, they are NOT THE SAME. duh...
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)