Spyder Garage

Default Problems with Sena SM10

We have purchased a 2017 Rt Limited and we love it. We also have gone wireless for our headsets. So we went with the Sena 20s and the SM10 dongle. We have paired our headsets for intercom and that works great. When we paired the headsets to the Sm10, the music has a lot of static and low volume. I have tried diffderent pairing and nothing seems to work. If I plug my MP3 directly into the SM10, the sound is very good and the helmet to helmet intercom works as well. So is there a fault in the dongle or in the wiring from the Spyder? Is there a test to be sure? Any ideas? Thanks.
    I read on another thread that Finless is the expert....any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default I have the same issue

We have used Sena 20s for our helmet to helmet intercom and get clear conversations all the time. However, listening to anything coming from the SM10 to our helmets does have static - not so bad that you cannot listen to the music, but certainly annoying to the point we just prefer not to use it anymore.
    We have since switched just this season to the new Sena SRL comm system built into the Shoei modular helmets and they have the same issue with the SM10.
    I suspected it had something to do with the source into the SM10 coming from the spyder but did not have a separate MP3 player to try that - its encouraging that that seems to clear it up for you.

We may look into going that route, not sure because we have done so many miles and mult-day trips without music now we kind'o don't really miss it.

On another note, we love our new Shoei modular helmets with the built-in Sena SRL. Worth checking out if you are ever in the market for that type of helmet.
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Spyder Garage

Try this. Unplug the power coming from the radio. It's the one with the mini usb end. Get the 12V power adapter that came with the SM10. Plug that in and use it as your power source instead. I found it to have a lot less noise.

Also the SM10 has a volume doulber function. If it is not loud enough use that. I don't remember off hand how to do that but it is in the SM10 guide.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Have you tried unpairing everything, checking for and/or installing new firmware for the SM10, then re-pairing everything. Or, a factory reset on the SM10, new firmware & re-pairing? You would need to go to the Sena website and install the Sena Bluetooth Device Manager on your computer to do a firmware update.

As billybovine said: Also the SM10 has a volume doulber function. If it is not loud enough use that. I don't remember off hand how to do that but it is in the SM10 guide.

To increase the volume, press the grey center button twice after you have paired everything up.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 05-22-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Try this. Unplug the power coming from the radio. It's the one with the mini usb end. Get the 12V power adapter that came with the SM10. Plug that in and use it as your power source instead. I found it to have a lot less noise.

Also the SM10 has a volume doulber function. If it is not loud enough use that. I don't remember off hand how to do that but it is in the SM10 guide.
    Once the SM-10 is playing in your headset the doubler function is turned on as follows (from the manual).

6.4 Audio Boosting
    You can boost the audio input volume for both the AUDIO IN
    Port and AUX Port of the SM10 by double tapping the Pairing
    Button in the center of the SM10. This is especially helpful in
    case the audio device doesn't have enough volume output.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-23-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I am not trying to hi-jack the thread, but have a question on the same topic:

I have a 16g usb stick with music on it plugged into the bike. It has approx. 14.5g of music on it. About once every song the music stops, then after a short, but varying time, it starts exactly where it left off. While slightly annoying, it's not the end of the world. I was wondering 2 things.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Is it because the computer on the bike is too slow for continuous play, possible because it is looking for the music on the USB? Possibly because there is so much info on the stick??

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I am not trying to hi-jack the thread, but have a question on the same topic:

I have a 16g usb stick with music on it plugged into the bike. It has approx. 14.5g of music on it. About once every song the music stops, then after a short, but varying time, it starts exactly where it left off. While slightly annoying, it's not the end of the world. I was wondering 2 things.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Is it because the computer on the bike is too slow for continuous play, possible because it is looking for the music on the USB? Possibly because there is so much info on the stick??

Ray
    I've been using a 32gig stick on mine, and there are times when it flat out refuses to recognize. So....I'm wondering the same. Not sure if it's the stick or the computer programming. Going to try a 64 gig stick in the near future.
    I've formatted FAT32.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yspyder View Post
    We have purchased a 2017 Rt Limited and we love it. We also have gone wireless for our headsets. So we went with the Sena 20s and the SM10 dongle. We have paired our headsets for intercom and that works great. When we paired the headsets to the Sm10, the music has a lot of static and low volume. I have tried diffderent pairing and nothing seems to work. If I plug my MP3 directly into the SM10, the sound is very good and the helmet to helmet intercom works as well. So is there a fault in the dongle or in the wiring from the Spyder? Is there a test to be sure? Any ideas? Thanks.
    I read on another thread that Finless is the expert....any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

Is the Sena SM10 dongle located in the Funk (BRP instructions) but many had issues as it appeared the location was close to the engine and it was believed this caused interference
    Many relocated the Sena SM10 dongle in the rear Funk and seemed to resolve the issue
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Is the Sena SM10 dongle located in the Funk (BRP instructions) but many had issues as it appeared the location was close to the engine and it was believed this caused interference
    Many relocated the Sena SM10 dongle in the rear Funk and seemed to resolve the issue
    I relocated mine in the trunk, and it transmits OK

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for all the comments. We have un-paired a number of times. We have also done the fault reset and factory reset on the headsets as well as the dongle. Paired in different sequenses but it does not seem to matter. We leave for Americade tomorrow so maybe someone at Tour Expo will have some ideas. I like the idea of moving the Dongle to the rear trunck because it is a pain in the frunk. Sena has been a little more helpful via live chat but not so much with one to one conversations.......it continues.