Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering in corners is killing me.......

I have a 2013 RSS with 9000 miles on it. Bought it from the original owner with 5000 miles on it a few months ago. He had the dealer change the original low bars to a higher set of bars.
    Has been dealer serviced.

Just got back from a four day trip on the Spyder. At the end of the day I'm pooped out from having to really put forth a lot of effort in big sweeping corners or anytime I make a turn. Feels like the something is not working correctly in regards to steering. Is this something I'll get use to or something else?

Spyder Garage

Default possibly....

the only thing to check out is the DPS. Start with the tire pressure as low pressure will make it a heavy steer. If pressure is good lift front end and see if everything is smooth and not binding. Now push the spyder and steer with the motor off then repeat with the motor started and note the difference. If none possibly the DPS is not working. (DPS Dynamic Power Steering)...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if it affects the RSS in 2013, but the earlier GS/RS had a DPS recall to fix problems.

Also... before throwing money at it for Laser Alignments and BajaRon swaybars. Check you tire pressures. Recommended is 18F/28R approximately. Some like to run a bit higher, it supposedly reduces steering effort.

You did't say if you came from the two wheeler world, like others myself included. At first having to actively steer seems very physical compared to countersteering a conventional motorcycle. Brace yourself on the RSS by pressing down on the outside peg, inside knee against the tank. Also lean forward and towards the inside mirror. This way you don't get that thrown off the bike feeling, and end up using your hands to hang on. If you aren't hanging on with your hands they can be used for steering and not fighting the bike. Push with the outside hand while pulling with the inside hand.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default steering issues

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the only thing to check out is the DPS. Start with the tire pressure as low pressure will make it a heavy steer. If pressure is good lift front end and see if everything is smooth and not binding. Now push the spyder and steer with the motor off then repeat with the motor started and note the difference. If none possibly the DPS is not working. (DPS Dynamic Power Steering)...
    ....... I can EASILY drive with one arm/hand except in tight Twisties ..... I think you have a DPS issue .... If you have checked and Lazar aligned the front and your tire pressures are normal .... it's DPS .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by turkman View Post
    I have a 2013 RSS with 9000 miles on it. Bought it from the original owner with 5000 miles on it a few months ago. He had the dealer change the original low bars to a higher set of bars.
    Has been dealer serviced.

Just got back from a four day trip on the Spyder. At the end of the day I'm pooped out from having to really put forth a lot of effort in big sweeping corners or anytime I make a turn. Feels like the something is not working correctly in regards to steering. Is this something I'll get use to or something else?
    Put the original handlebars back on and see if that makes a difference. Raised handlebars have no practical value.

I'm envisioning ape hangers.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-22-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post

You did't say if you came from the two wheeler world, like others myself included. At first having to actively steer seems very physical compared to countersteering a conventional motorcycle. Brace yourself on the RSS by pressing down on the outside peg, inside knee against the tank. Also lean forward and towards the inside mirror. This way you don't get that thrown off the bike feeling, and end up using your hands to hang on. If you aren't hanging on with your hands they can be used for steering and not fighting the bike. Push with the outside hand while pulling with the inside hand.
    This bit of wisdom was given to me a couple weeks ago as I was having the same problem.
    Just by doing these things, I am feeling much better in the curves. I am not as tense and worn out after a ride.
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Spyder Garage

Default A bit about me

I came from the 2 wheeled world. BMW's, Moto Guzzis & Vespas.....a GTS250 that I took across the country....coast to coast 4 times. Tons of miles, after riding for 45 years. Got the Spyder because I have Parkinson's. My balance isn't very good.

Someone mentioned that I should put the original bars back on. The bars on my Spyder now, look to me like they came from more touring model Spyder. I purchased the Spyder because it was very comfortable (for me) to ride. Probably should have done some more research before purchasing the RSS.

Its kind of tough when the thing you like too do the most in life, gets harder to do. I've always figured that life is tough, but I'm tougher. My Spyder is perfect for me except for cornering with it. I'll get it into my dealer and have him address the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

BTW: this forum is fantastic!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! If you want to take a ride, there is a small rally being held in Pateros, WA June 15 - 17 it is called the PAC NW Spyder Fest. If you’d like to have your alignment checked we will be there to get you squared away.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe this will help

I come from the 2 wheel world and I quickly found that ryding Spyders is very different than riding motorcycles :-)
    One thing that helps me in cornering a lot, is I use my body weight to push into the outside handlebar and I lean into the turn. by using my entire weight when I push, my arm and shoulder are under less strain, because my body is doing the steering. I hope that helps (I hope it made sense).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Put the original handlebars back on and see if that makes a difference. Raised handlebars have no practical value.
    Not quite...

Raised bars have enormous practical value for some riders - maybe it's cos I'm 5'4" but they made a huge difference on my Rs and st. Nb I am not talking about ape hangers...

Still orig bars may help this rider...

Spyder Garage

They do for me, Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Handlebar height

The height of the bars has nothing to do with your issue ...( unless they are genuine " APE HANGERS )... It's either DPS or riding style ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree other issues are more likely the problem - but if the bars are very wrong for the rider's height and reach, everything including steering goes pear shaped.

Spyder Garage

Default hard steering

Just going through that with my 2013 RT with 15.500 miles on it. Will start into the corner normal and then lose power steering. Got worse as the day went on. Had to man handle around corners. Found a used DSP on Ebay with 1100 miles on it. should be here tomorrow. Put 4,000 miles on since I got it.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

bought the wife a 14 rss she had the same problem she is 5.1 changed handlebars from an rt and added 2 lbs of air to the front tires no more problem

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Not sure if it affects the RSS in 2013, but the earlier GS/RS had a DPS recall to fix problems.

Also... before throwing money at it for Laser Alignments and BajaRon swaybars. Check you tire pressures. Recommended is 18F/28R approximately. Some like to run a bit higher, it supposedly reduces steering effort.

I totally agree with your turning tips. I found that with my Seal Floorboards I could move my feet around to get into that "perfect position", especially when going into a high speed turn. On my 2009 RS, I also put on a HeliBar raiser....5" up and 2" back. It made a huge difference for my 5'7"body. Tire pressure is also very, very important. I had a "
    Baha Ron" sway bar and Elka shocks, Boy did that badboy corner. You can see what I did to my "bumble" on my website.
    Ride in comfort.
    John

Spyder Garage

I agree with pushing on outside foot, pressing inside knee hard against bike, leaning and looking into the corner, and pulling on the inside handlebar. What confuses me a little is the comments about DPS problems. I was/am under the impression that the DPS system is variable an diminishes to zero assist at speed. I thought it only assisted when going slow.....like parking lot speeds. I don't believe I feel any help from the DPS system when cruising the twisties. Years ago I added an aftermarket DPS to my old CanAm Commander. That DPS operated 100% full time at all speeds. It eliminated the bump-steer and made the Commander feel more like an automobile PS. I could drive with one finger on the wheel at all speeds under almost any conditions. It was great.....

If the Spyder DPS is suppose to help when at cruising speed then I think I may have a problem with it too. If so, I would welcome having it fixed because I would like to have a little more steering assist too. Thoughts, Comments.....?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The above posts have the issue covered well.

: GS, RS, RSS models ride similar to crotch rockets. OEM--a leaning down position and low windshields. I could not stand either. Quickly modified my bars by going to three inch risers. Custom at the time.

: Driving position can be an issue. Don't do corners with the death grip. A push pull on the bars. Pretend there are eggs in your palms, and don't break the eggs. Lean slightly into the curve. Place "outside" foot on the pegs and grip the tank with the knees. Enter curves at a speed where you can accelerate. If you have to brake at a curve--you are to fast.

: If the above are not the answer, it could be the DPS is faulty.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Steering in corners is killing me.......

Please check both of your battery terminals for tightness before you spend a dime on anything. If there are not star washers on the bolts buy some and install them, will be the cheapest "fix" you'll do on your ride.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If the Spyder DPS is suppose to help when at cruising speed then I think I may have a problem with it too. If so, I would welcome having it fixed because I would like to have a little more steering assist too. Thoughts, Comments.....?
    The original DPS units were progressive. They gave the most steering assistance at low speeds where it requires a lot more force to move the bars. The assistance gradually lessened as speed increased going to zero assistance at some point (around 50 mph if I remember correctly). I don't know about the current DPS units. But I would think BRP is still using this approach.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm envisioning ape hangers.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Can the steering effort of the DPS system be altered by buds? Maybe make it a little easier for us old guys. I still like to do sweepers and twisties at 60-70+ MPH and a little more help from DPS would be appreciated. Anyone have experience with this....?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Do all of your slowing while setting up for the curve, then smoothly power through. ride it like a snowmobile. If you really want to corner fast, hang off the inside. setting up for the corner is the most important part, then power through and yo will fool the nanny into thinking she isn't needed.

It is possible to "fly" the inside wheel without the nanny objecting. Ye just gotta' do it right!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Do all of your slowing while setting up for the curve, then smoothly power through. ride it like a snowmobile. If you really want to corner fast, hang off the inside. setting up for the corner is the most important part, then power through and yo will fool the nanny into thinking she isn't needed.

It is possible to "fly" the inside wheel without the nanny objecting. Ye just gotta' do it right!
    He said he was interested in reducing the steering effort in turns and twisties at speed (when the power steering assist is probably not helping much). He has Parkinson's disease. I don't think 'hanging off the inside' is in the picture for him, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line, OP, is that the Spyder is always going to require more steering effort than any two-wheeler. I'll get flamed here, but I still think that the RSS is designed for an aggressive seating position wherein your body weight is concentrated more on the handlebars. Switching to a more upright position may be more comfortable but that comfort comes at the price of decreased leverage on the handlebars. Hence my suggestion to try the original handlebars and see if that helps.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default I agree!

He said he was interested in reducing the steering effort in turns and twisties at speed (when the power steering assist is probably not helping much). He has Parkinson's disease. I don't think 'hanging off the inside' is in the picture for him, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line, OP, is that the Spyder is always going to require more steering effort than any two-wheeler. I'll get flamed here, but I still think that the RSS is designed for an aggressive seating position wherein your body weight is concentrated more on the handlebars. Switching to a more upright position may be more comfortable but that comfort comes at the price of decreased leverage on the handlebars. Hence my suggestion to try the original handlebars and see if that helps.
    The wife has a 2016 RTS (1330cc), I have a 2008 GS/RSS (998cc). The GS steering stopped to about 30MPH is insanely easy. Easy to twist the handle bars on the GS with a couple fingers. The RTS is different, have to push the handle bars quite a bit when stopped / low speed. On the highway the GS still steers very easy, almost too easy! I just "think" about changing lanes and it happens on the GS. Easy to oversteer. Highway speed on the RTS I have to apply a teeny bit of effort.

I do admit when I first got the Spyder 10 years ago, I thought I had made a huge mistake. I was clamping on the handle bars, every little bump in the road shot me left or right. When I finally relaxed and basically just let my hands rest on the grips, the Spyder knew where to go, correcting itself, staying straight. Then life got much better.

I actually had to settle into the RTS after not driving it for a couple months
    Last edited by stevencovert; 05-23-2018 at 01:15 PM.