Spyder Garage

Default Yesterdays Gremlins!

Bike = 2014 ST, SE5 Limited
    Purchased bike last fall with only 630 miles on it.

Gremlin #1
    Took off yesterday to go somewhere. Got to the destination, Shut the bike off, popped the frunk, pulled the key to get into the saddle bags, MP3 player kicked in for what I would say - 30 seconds and shut off.
    Keys pulled, no power for the MP3 player to come thru the speakers. Weird. This has happened with the radio on hubby's 2015 RT a couple times also. No key in the bike!
    Gremlin #2
    Had to go back out to my bike to put something back into my frunk, I could here a faint, but sharp squeal, humming noise coming from the bike. Sounded loudest up by the frunk.
    Not the first time this has happened. I've heard this a time or two when I have been washing the bike. Everything is off and usually the key pulled.
    Could something be draining off the battery even with the key shut off and out?
    I always pull the plug on the MP3 players when I'm not riding.
    Gremlin #3
    Key back in the ignition and had turned the key to pop the frunk, plugged in and started up the MP3 player, shut the trunk, turned the key on to get to the start, put music to AUX. Bike not started yet, but listening to the tunes and some people come up to me and ask questions about the bike. Shortly later, the MP3 player quit, so I just thought the battery in the MP3 player died. People left shortly after the tunes stopped, jumped on the bike and nothing. Nothing would light up. I had been visiting for about 15 minutes. That shouldn't be enough to the drain a battery. I carry jumpers with me, so I had a friend jump my bike. Got home, shut if off, and fired it back up again just to see if it would. Fired up. Threw it on the tender until it showed full charge again.

Any feedback of what could cause this. Everything on my bike is stock, except for me plugging in the MP3 player. Thanks for letting me bend your ear!
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Something could be draining the battery but it also might be time for a new battery. I would suggest you get the battery load tested at an auto store or shop to be sure.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Re Gremlin #2...
    I have the same with my 2016 ST-S...and apparently this is common from the ECU.
    This is mentioned in the "Do's and Don'ts...", found here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Can't help with the others but am sure folks will weigh in...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

It is possible to leave the radio playing without the key in the ignition, if memory serve me right, you have to press the Mode button within so many seconds of turning the ignition off. Maybe, that is what you did without realizing it.

Also, the Spyder will make a faint sound for a while (maybe 30 seconds) after shutting down, something to do with a solenoid keeping something opened (or closed) in the throttle body.

However, neither of those thing should drain a battery in 15 minutes.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Something could be draining the battery but it also might be time for a new battery. I would suggest you get the battery load tested at an auto store or shop to be sure.

It has a new battery in it. They put one in last September when I bought the bike, rode until first of November and was on a tender all winter season, I've been riding it for a month and a half.
    Thanks for your input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    It is possible to leave the radio playing without the key in the ignition, if memory serve me right, you have to press the Mode button within so many seconds of turning the ignition off. Maybe, that is what you did without realizing it.

Also, the Spyder will make a faint sound for a while (maybe 30 seconds) after shutting down, something to do with a solenoid keeping something opened (or closed) in the throttle body.

Also good idea to double check the battery connections
    here is step by step accessory mode:

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post

Also good idea to double check the battery connections
    here is step by step accessory mode:
    I'll double check the connections. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post

I will have to check my manual on the mode button/radio issue and try it if that is the case. I have a fan that kicks in for 20-30 seconds after I shut down the bike, but that is way louder sound then what I'm hearing, and it goes for a lot longer. Will check into this solenoid. Never no what the Gremlins are doing. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

On the 2011 and I think 2012 RT'S there is a high pitch tone coming from the throttle body. ThIs kept the throttle body closed. This was to prevent vapor lock. This tone lasts for approximately 40 minutes. I do not know if this occurs on the ST's. Bruce

PS. You can also pull Relay R1. This shuts the system down.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Inactive Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Gremlin #2

Our 2014 ST-S has the throttle body squeal for about 40 mins as well. Reading on here this is normal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    Our 2014 ST-S has the throttle body squeal for about 40 mins as well. Reading on here this is normal.
    Good to know. I'm not just crazy and hearing noises!

Spyder Garage

[PHP][/PHP]
    Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    On the 2011 and I think 2012 RT'S there is a high pitch tone coming from the throttle body. ThIs kept the throttle body closed. This was to prevent vapor lock. This tone lasts for approximately 40 minutes. I do not know if this occurs on the ST's. Bruce

PS. You can also pull Relay R1. This shuts the system down.

Thanks. I will check on my manual for that info for the throttle body. Will also look to see where the Relay R1 is.