Spyder Garage

Default Question/observation on gas mileage RTL 1330 SE6

Just a question in my mind....be assured not looking for any arguments along the way.

In all of my running of our 2014 RTL se6 1330, I try and stay between 3,000-3500 RPM if possible and I pick the shift gear I need to do that at the road speed I need . I've noticed this year so far that with the "summer gas" now being used, this method is getting me a "reasonably" consistent 35 MPG (as close as I can tell based on doing fill ups as close to 140 miles as I can). FYI, I am happy with this MPG.

This is just my observations and data and I was wondering if anybody else has any correlation of RPM/gear to speed to MPG . I think you get what I am saying and asking but I'll answer questions if asked.

Appreciate feedback.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MPG's

IMHO, that's probably a bit on the low side....... My 2014 RT 1330 avg. rose from new to about 5,000 miles and has remained at 39mpg .... I tend to ride no pass. and a bit aggressive ( often passing in traffic ) ...... how much weight is carried - matters ....also car tires may give better mpg's than the Kenda's........I only use reg w/ ethyl .... hope this helps..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Your MPG will vary with the Net Wind Speed Opposed on Your RT

Also as Mike mentioned you may see an improvement depending on whether you have the first 10,000 miles and the engine broke in. I get around 37 MPG on my 15 base RT SE6 running at 3500 to 3600 PM (68-70 MPH) as long as I dont have any added head wind. A wind of 10 MPH at my back gets me another 2 MPG. JMHO.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default we always ride 2 up

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO, that's probably a bit on the low side....... My 2014 RT 1330 avg. rose from new to about 5,000 miles and has remained at 39mpg .... I tend to ride no pass. and a bit aggressive ( often passing in traffic ) ...... how much weight is carried - matters ....also car tires may give better mpg's than the Kenda's........I only use reg w/ ethyl .... hope this helps..... Mike
    Thanks Mike.
    Just more input on us, I've always used Chevron Super when available. Still on original Kenda fronts at approx. 22,000 miles. "Most of my throttle/shift work is maintaining speed limits - in town and on highway (although on trips we will try to stay out of 70+ traffic if possible). I guess most of our "local weekend runs" are in the 35-50 MPH range and mostly out on country roads to refresh the mindset.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT and do ride pretty aggressive and not much town riding and I have checked mind a number of times. My average is 35 miles per gallon. Lowest I have had is 29 and highest I have had is 39. I have car tires and and have always used regular gasoline with ethanol.
    Last edited by gerald37; 05-21-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

for all the huff and puff in the sales pitches when the 1330 came out it would seem that it would be a bit higher than that. I have a 998 Twin and average 33 mpg's with the setup I have and ryding aggressively in SoCal. But there are so many things that affect the outcome that it is hard to find that magic number. Considering the mpg's on other vehicles it is a very nice figure...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

On my 2018 RT Limited I've noticed a wild variance in mileage based on whether I'm riding stop/go in the city or doing highway/freeway miles. In the city with lots of traffic lights and stop signs my MPG meter shows lows 20's (yeah, bad). But when I switch to 50-55 mph consistently for dozens of miles, the MPG goes up to 46. So the type of riding you're doing can make a huge difference.

Richard

Spyder Garage

Default Type of Ryding, Stop N Go and how much Your Need for SPEED

Pretty much sums it up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

So far, we avg. a consistent 37mpg when 2-up. I have gotten as high as 42, but that's solo and riding 60mph or below. Trailer towing/2-up is 35-36mpg at freeway speeds w/ cruise engaged. Car tires all the way around. Mac

Spyder Garage

Default where is your graph from?

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Pretty much sums it up
    Do I read this right and who's input is it?
    All graph points are assuming 6th gear running but just RPM change to adjust speed ?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep just based on 6th gear running 1 UP on the SE6, 1330 platform

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Do I read this right and who's input is it?
    All graph points are assuming 6th gear running but just RPM change to adjust speed ?
    Since everyones right hand twitches a little different and roads and habits differ, this is my experience with 36,000 miles and the wifes previous riding 1 UP with her 15 RTS. We travel quite a bit of open road at 64-67 MPH with the cruises set and 600 mile weekend trips to the BIL's in Western Kansas. YMMV

Lets see we have Fowler, Rocky Ford, LaJunta, Swink, Las Animas, Granada, and Holly to slow down for in CO, but only Syracuse, and Ulyssees to slow down for in KS. Usually we only hit 4-6 lights to stop at if that in the whole trip. Brakes and gas mileage do well on those roads It sounded like your riding was also in the 3000-3600 PM range, tho you probably shift up and down more....I'll let others report on higher speeds/gas mileages
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 05-21-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: types of roads

Spyder Garage

Just like my 2014, the new 2017 (not 1st serviced yet ) gets a pretty routine 35mpg.
    That is being reasonably sane.

What stuns me, is how many people get upset when they learn their cracker box gets better mileage than my RT
    I think they were looking for ammunition for the spouse. "Honey, look what we could save on gas"
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, let me be the odd ball in the bunch. I started with a 2014 RT SM6. From day one, I got around 36-39 mpg. That is with me riding single, and driving pretty agressively. That was for the first 15k miles. Then for the remaining 6k miles (sold it at around 21k), I had car tires front and rear, drive the same, use the same sort of gas, but only get 32-36 mpg at best. During this same time, I owned a 2012 RSS SE5 and it got around 32-35 mpg.
    I now have a 2016 F3T with 10k miles and have gotten about 35-37 mpg from new. I will be changing to a new car tire in the rear within the next 1k miles. We will see what happens.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I believe you are not considering all the factors that go into mpg in a given tank of fuel; just how many there are I don't know but other commenters have addressed some of the important, most obvious ones. FWIW, through 40,109 miles I have averaged 36.1 mpg since Day One and 262 refueling stops. Most of that has been solo as my wife doesn't ride very much. That said, individual tank refuelings have from a low of 29.0 (80 mph average on an interstate into a very stiff headwind to 43.7 (really behaving myself obeying speed limits and no interstates). If you look at all the info in your operator's guide you know that once you get your Spyder over 62 mph in 6th gear, that's about 3,150 RPM I think, you are essentially pushing a barn door through the air and your mileage begins to suffer even with no headwind.

You say you refuel at about a 140 mile interval. If that interval is actually topping off at routine rest breaks that you take at 140 that's great and is good safety procedure if it fits your modus operandi. With the size of our RT tanks I don't usually consider refueling until I reach 200-210 unless I'm really flying along.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My first years with the 1330 got me about 39 mpg pretty much consistently. I always cruise in the 3000 - 3500 zone and ride non-aggressive.

This season, I am trying 87 octane in both Spyders (998 and 1330). So far on the first tank, I got 32 mpg. Not happy with that. I don't notice any less performance. Might still be winter gas. Going to give it about three more tanks on both and then make a decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to all for inputs.

I appreciate everyone's inputs - REALLY

My biggest question (in my mind) has been answered and that was my using 3000-3500 as a benchmark engine speed for various highway speeds. Sounds like most of you are in that range also. I am OK with my MPG and I know it could go one way or the other based on numerous factors. Yes my fill ups at 160 range are precautionary on trips where MY OTHER HALF can't say for sure how far down the road a gas source is In our cages I'm lucky to get to the quarter mark "even in town"

Any other inputs welcomed - Thanks again.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    My first years with the 1330 got me about 39 mpg pretty much consistently. I always cruise in the 3000 - 3500 zone and ride non-aggressive.

This season, I am trying 87 octane in both Spyders (998 and 1330). So far on the first tank, I got 32 mpg. Not happy with that. I don't notice any less performance. Might still be winter gas. Going to give it about three more tanks on both and then make a decision.

Remember this thread of mine? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=guess+premium. Take note of my comments in posts 50 & 51!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Sheesh.....I never check my mpg. I just ride and fill up when I need to. One of these days I'll check it
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I use 87 octane in my 998. I average around 33 - 35 mpg when riding riding two lane roads two up at 50 to 55 mph. My best was on a day trip cruising at 60 mph. It was a calm day around 70 degrees. I got 40 mpg. My worst was 24 mpg loaded, riding double for 120 miles at 80 mph. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

35-37 around town with some interstate travel.

40-42 on the Blue Ridge Parkway 40 - 50 mph most of time.

32 mpg if I do a lot of 65-75 mph sustained speeds.

I've given up on trying get good consist mpg's.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AVG. - MPG's

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Sheesh.....I never check my mpg. I just ride and fill up when I need to. One of these days I'll check it
    I learned this a very long time ago ......... a distinct lowering in your mileage is usually an indicator of some type of engine / trans issue ........ but you have to know your Avg. ...... jmho .... Mike