Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting analysis ... wide variation in home affordability, by state

Last edited by UtahPete; 05-19-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

As long as we don't have to cross the border(legally) into Calif., we're good! Thanks for posting this. Good food for thought. Mac

Spyder Garage

This, like almost every other survey of its ilk, doesn't mean much when you take a closer look. It's based on "average home prices," which isn't a very good basis for analysis. The median price would make a lot more sense since it only takes a few multi-million dollar houses to really jack up the average. For example, if you have one $1M house and nine $50K houses, the average becomes $145K. Also, what an "average home" entails may mean something entirely different in, say, West Virginia versus California, and the cost of an "average home" will also vary widely even within a state. For example, the cost of an "average home" in Los Angeles is going to be a LOT more than the cost of an "average home" in Barstow or Fresno. Also, in terms of affordability the study only shows how much income would be required -- it doesn't consider what the average (or median) household income actually is there.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    This, like almost every other survey of its ilk, doesn't mean much when you take a closer look. It's based on "average home prices," which isn't a very good basis for analysis. The median price would make a lot more sense since it only takes a few multi-million dollar houses to really jack up the average. For example, if you have one $1M house and nine $50K houses, the average becomes $145K. Also, what an "average home" entails may mean something entirely different in, say, West Virginia versus California, and the cost of an "average home" will also vary widely even within a state. For example, the cost of an "average home" in Los Angeles is going to be a LOT more than the cost of an "average home" in Barstow or Fresno. Also, in terms of affordability the study only shows how much income would be required -- it doesn't consider what the average (or median) household income actually is there.
    with above statement, but all it takes is a couple of "below standard" homes in the same neighborhood to bring property values down. I think that is a pretty good summation on income needed. You still have to take into account you will have HOA's, insurance and other expenses to consider into the mix. So that being said, you would probably need to add 40% on top of that figure to have a comfortable way of life. IMHO anyway. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you think there is any correlation between cost of living and desireability (i.e. market demand). Or, is there something else driving prices to such extremes?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was surprised with Ohio and West Virginia. Wasn't expecting that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well of course you're right. But I think you can draw some interesting inferences from it, particularly for people approaching retirement and looking to improve their standard of living while reducing their housing costs.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Now then...

If you could earn the big bucks Like in CT and live in CA you would have a really nice home. The house we have here cost three times what the same house would cost in FL. all relative to what you can earn and the cost of living....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If you could earn the big bucks Like in CT and live in CA you would have a really nice home. The house we have here cost three times what the same house would cost in FL. all relative to what you can earn and the cost of living....
    Yup.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Do you think there is any correlation between cost of living and desireability (i.e. market demand). Or, is there something else driving prices to such extremes?
    I'm sure some relators will use that as a reason to add to the price tag, you know "price higher, sell a little lower" and call it a win-win for the seller and relator. It's what ever the market can sustain, I guess. The wife and I are retired, so we have incomes that are "fixed" now and we can't work "overtime" to pad the ol' bank account. We do have investments and Deferred comps. to supplement our incomes, but those will run out eventually. So we have to plan on our "floor" and hope we survive any major costs down the road, but still have enough to enjoy the rest of our years. You can second guess the future all you want, you just have to hope you planned it right. Time will tell. Mac

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting the list UP. I am finding that I can buy twice the size, just as nice or nicer, and twice the property size for HALF the price where I am planning on going, compared to Alaska.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just think of the color blue and you will have your answer.............
    Last edited by Holly; 05-19-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Just think of the color blue and you will have your answer.............
    That's right. It's just simple supply and demand. There is a lot of demand for housing in blue states, most of which are in desirable coastal areas and many of which have really nice climates where people want to live. And, land in coastal areas is always in short supply because there's no place to expand. Not that many people want to live in Mississippi versus Hawaii. Thanks for noticing.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't see blue in this map. I think we can most appreciate this if we refrain from viewing it in terms of partisan politics.

Last edited by UtahPete; 05-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's right. It's just simple supply and demand. There is a lot of demand for housing in blue states, most of which are in desirable coastal areas and many of which have really nice climates where people want to live. And, land in coastal areas is always in short supply because there's no place to expand. Not that many people want to live in Mississippi versus Hawaii. Thanks for noticing.

Can you explain why costal states NC, SC and GA are reasonably priced compared to NY ??????? The climate is much better in the south and besides NYC, the state of NY is a ghost state. People are fleeing in record numbers because the taxes are so high. Same thing is happening to the middle class in California.

Case dismissed !!!!!!!
    Last edited by Holly; 05-19-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was surprised with Ohio and West Virginia. Wasn't expecting that.
    I'm not. Both Ohio and WVA are economically depressed areas where jobs are scarce and don't pay very much. That leads to lessened demand and the people who do buy can't afford more expensive homes. Western NY State is much the same with a lot of the big, old manufacturing companies having shut down.

Spyder Garage

Can you explain why costal states NC, SC and GA are reasonably priced compared to NY ??????? The climate is much better in the south and besides NYC, the state of NY is a ghost state. People are fleeing in record numbers because the taxes are so high. Same thing is happening to the middle class in California.

Case dismissed !!!!!!!
    At some point do you plan on leaving Holly?
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    At some point do you plan on leaving Holly?

Spyderlovers or NY ??????????????

Spyder Garage

Spyderlovers or NY ??????????????
    NY? Due to cost of living.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

does the lava in hi. bring the prices up or down?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    NY? Due to cost of living.

I soon as retirement age roles around. Not a day more !!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I soon as retirement age roles around. Not a day more !!!!!!!
    We plan on leaving Ca when the youngest leaves high school in 4 years. Not sure where yet and a lot can change but that’s the plan.

Spyder Garage

Case dismissed !!!!!!!

You're saying the climate in NC, SC and GA is good? Have you ever been to any of those states? In summer???

You say the middle class is fleeing CA? Nooooo. It's rich people and educated ones moving in while the poorer ones are moving out. See http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...htmlstory.html

And why would this happen? Well, CA is the tech capital of the world, the economy just moved up to #5 in the world (ahead of the country of Great Britain) and the climate is just wonderful. People are willing to pay a lot of money for that. Do they have too much regulation? Probably. Do they make some stupid decisions? Certainly. Too many illegals? Absolutely. And yet for some reason housing prices keep going up. I guess it's all those illegals buying the million dollar houses, huh?

You're under the popular delusion that CA is just a terrible place to live, just a disaster, unliveable. Most of the problems they have are greatly exaggerated by Fox. They simply don't affect most people or you wouldn't see an influx of rich and educated people there. But hey, I can't blame you for the misinformation, I read Fox, too. But I read it mostly for the lolz.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

You're saying the climate in NC, SC and GA is good? Have you ever been to any of those states? In summer???

You say the middle class is fleeing CA? Nooooo. It's rich people and educated ones moving in while the poorer ones are moving out. See http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...htmlstory.html

And why would this happen? Well, CA is the tech capital of the world, the economy just moved up to #5 in the world (ahead of the country of Great Britain) and the climate is just wonderful. People are willing to pay a lot of money for that. Do they have too much regulation? Probably. Do they make some stupid decisions? Certainly. Too many illegals? Absolutely. And yet for some reason housing prices keep going up. I guess it's all those illegals buying the million dollar houses, huh?

You're under the popular delusion that CA is just a terrible place to live, just a disaster, unliveable. Most of the problems they have are greatly exaggerated by Fox. They simply don't affect most people or you wouldn't see an influx of rich and educated people there. But hey, I can't blame you for the misinformation, I read Fox, too. But I read it mostly for the lolz.

Have you been to NY in the Winter or stepped into the ocean in another high priced blue coastal state, Massachusetts ???????? I'll take those 3 southern states any day !!!!!!

Regarding CA.............It's a fact the middle class is fleeing. If teachers can't afford to live their how are fast food workers, gas station attendants and other low wage workers going to survive. Who is going to teach their kids, serve the rich their food, pump their gas or do their laundry ?????? Illegals, that who !!!!! A state that breaks federal laws. Fact, 44% of California residents don't speak English in their own home (or the tents that line the streets housing illegals). When you visit there just be carful not to step on a hypodermic needle.

Yes the climate is nice, but that state has no chance of surviving long term if they followed the law on it's current path. Your own article says one million more moved out than moved in, and that's a bias CA news source.
    As a lawyer, I thought you were concerned about people following the law ????
    Unless your a defense attorney.

Spyder Garage

Just FYI there are no gas attendants here, we blubstaters pump our own whole boat load of gardner’s though.

As far as 44% not speaking English in their own home you are going to have to source that or I call BS.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-19-2018 at 04:31 PM.