Spyder Garage

Default Ck transmission help

2010 rs se5 hasn't been on the road since 2014. Bought from a dealer who only sells totaled by insurance.

Ok. So I fixed a bunch of issues. Changed the oil and when cked warm it was right on the full line. Almost 400 miles and my ck transmission comes on intermitantly. It seems like it is coming on more often, sometimes for a couple miles, but usually only on for a min or so. Hasn't gone into limp mode since I changed all the fluids.

This trip it didnt want to shift to R or back to N without a few tries. So took for a ride to the store.. at operating temp. Cked the oil and it's in the xxx marked area but over the full line.

Not sure if its associated, but I found 2 drops of fluid on the right side right before the fan on the ground effect plastic. Could not find where it came from.

Suggestions..

Should I remove some oil? Or ck it a diff way?

Phil
    Last edited by Philrs; 05-20-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Oil level is a tricky thing on the 998's. Check the level according to the manual, if you have one, or warm the engine up to operating temp then measure and you should be between the add and full marks. If not add or take out. This could be causing the not shifting issue. As for the trans light, this could be as simple as a more possitive shift or a bad gear positioning sensor. Don't know how much you have run it and could clear up with some use as you say it sat since 2014.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'd look at the paddle shifter and the gear position sensor. The oil is probably OK, although if you look in the manual you will find a couple of places on the engine where you can check the oil pressure.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I'll bet it downshifts OK with the nanny doing it. If so, Paddle shifter. Buy and install a new one. Not a big deal, just costly. but it'll shift when you want it to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    I'll bet it downshifts OK with the nanny doing it. If so, Paddle shifter. Buy and install a new one. Not a big deal, just costly. but it'll shift when you want it to.
    It does seem to downshift ok with the nanny..I also noticed the ck transmission comes on a lot after manual downshift, but not all the time

Phil

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Phil. So, what you already know is that the Check Transmission light is not really about the transmission itself, but it's about the Transmission Control Module not liking something about the shift. Let's remember that the Hydraulic Control Module - that thing that generates the oil pressure for shifting - has it's own oil pump and filter. Normal oil pressure for shifting is 175# pounds. Low oil level in the tank can cause hydraulic oil pressure to drop too low. Checking the engine oil pressure is not relevant. High oil level is not a problem as far as shifting goes.

So...you mentioned that you changed the oil - did you change the filters - Hydraulic Control Module filter specifically?

The most likely culprit in these cases is the Gear Box Position Sensor. Next time the Check Transmission fault comes in, look down at the gear position on the digital display and see if it is in the correct gear, is alternating between gear numbers, is lagging behind the shift, or is displaying an "E". Also, while the light is on, try to pull over and call up the codes. You might need nothing more that a Gear Box Position Sensor reset with BUDS or even just unplugging the sensor, spraying down the contacts with cleaner, letting it dry out and plugging it back in.

Try to get access to a dealer with BUDS. They can check the paddle shifter operation right on the screen as well as do the reset. Without narrowing this down, or having access to the proper test equipment, you could drop a lot of money into this without getting to the problem. You're focusing on an oil level that is just a little too high. It's not that.

By the way - fluid on the right hand side around the radiator is most likely coolant. Just a little out the overflow or more likely a hose clamp that needs tightened down. Some clamps you can't tighten. Others are the more common screw type that you just tighten down with a screwdriver.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-20-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Ty snowbelt

A lot of great info..

Most of what you wrote makes a lot more sense now.
    What you call the hydraulic control module filter...is what I think I called the second filter. I called it a transmission filter. So yes I changed out 2 filters.

Is there a way for me to call up codes on my spyder? Do I need a buds code reader?
    Thanks
    Phil
    Last edited by Philrs; 05-20-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

MHO, after going through this same scenario twice, if the nanny shifts without fail but the paddle shifter is erratic, you may as well stop monkeying around and replace the paddle shifter. Because that's what you are going to end up doing anyway. save some time effort and money.

Spyder Garage

Refer to the next two posts by Billy on how to pull up Active codes on an RS.

There's an app for your phone called SpyderCodes that you can use then to look it up and see what the code means. However, for this noble cause of yours, it would benefit you to get a repair manual. Green Manuals - eBay - 20 bucks. I think this is the one for you but there are others out there as well. Everything you need to know is in one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-2...item3ce521c6ec

Your issues could very well be the paddle shifter - nobody is saying that it's not - but some more information and references will help you troubleshoot better and narrow it down with less guess work.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-21-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Fault code recall for 2010 RS

The following is the fault recall procedure for a 2010 RS. This will only work for active faults.

Fault 1.jpg
    Fault 2.jpg
    Fault 3.JPG
    Fault 4.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Fault recall continued

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sorry Phil. Thank you Billy. There was a little voice in my head that an RS was different. I should have listened. Removed bum dope from previous post.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-21-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    MHO, after going through this same scenario twice, if the nanny shifts without fail but the paddle shifter is erratic, you may as well stop monkeying around and replace the paddle shifter. Because that's what you are going to end up doing anyway. save some time effort and money.
    I had the same thing changed the shifter only cost like $140. Do your best to diagnose it first, but I didn't want to waste the money on the dealer . I took a chance, as many have done and it is like new now . If oil looks good, gears are indicating the correct position and it is shifting down by itself with no problems, then just go with a shifter. I got mine from amazon, if you don't mark it up you can always return it if it doesn't fix your problem.

Switch code is P0826. There may be others , but if you get that the shifter should fix it.
    Last edited by Huked; 05-21-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark