Spyder Garage

Default F3L Monster Fuel Injection ECU Flash

I plan on having the ECU s/w upgrade done by Wick-It in Shreveport and need opinions on
    the best way to get this accomplished. My options are: It is about a 6 hour run from my
    home to Wick-it, get the upgrade, test it out and head home or remove the ECU, pack it up
    and send to them for the flash.

So, my main question would be what is involved in removing the ECU or would it be better
    to make an appointment and drive there? What kind of turn around time can I expect?

I am in need of some experienced opinions/advice/thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Dray

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TAKD IT OR SEND IT ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    I plan on having the ECU s/w upgrade done by Wick-It in Shreveport and need opinions on
    the best way to get this accomplished. My options are: It is about a 6 hour run from my
    home to Wick-it, get the upgrade, test it out and head home or remove the ECU, pack it up
    and send to them for the flash.

So, my main question would be what is involved in removing the ECU or would it be better
    to make an appointment and drive there? What kind of turn around time can I expect?

I am in need of some experienced opinions/advice/thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Dray
    Dis-assembly has it's pitfalls, and if it doesn't get there for whatever reason ..... your wait time will REALLY P*ss you off .... Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd if you bring your Spyder they can tweek it on the spot ............jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Will they flash it while you are there ..?? Seems most have mailed them in and have not heard how the turn around it. Now if they do it on the spot and it is a nice ryde with time on your agenda...go for the ryde always best if they get you all set up and on your way tuned and happy....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My input

I just sent mine to MFI in Canada last Tues.by 2-3 day USPS...Still have NOT heard anything or received a payment request...

Why did I send it to Canada??? Because if you need or want any future updates they are free (except for shipping)...And I'm planning on changing my RTS to the 89T rear sprocket if and when Steve gets it perfected...He thought he had it working correctly but it showed up a glitch...

Sending anything to Canada is ALWAYS A PAIN IN MY A**...

My advice, Talk to Larry or Coleman at Wick-it-Perf. and see if you can set up an appointment...These two guys seem like a first class act to me...Go For The Ride...

larryd

Spyder Garage

The best I can tell you is that it takes a few hours for opening and closing the case and doing the flash, and then a while longer for the sealant to set up. When I sent them mine I shipped it Friday, they got it Monday, Flashed it, and put it in the mail Wednesday, and I got it Friday. There is nothing to removing it, only 3 screws, and two connectors to disconnect and they are easy. The gys at Wick-It are very easy to talk to, give them a call.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default F3L Monster Fuel Injection ECU Flash

Thanks people for the good advice. Looks like I may just make a trip there. Run up thru Arkansas,
    over thru SE Oklahoma and on back home.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    Thanks people for the good advice. Looks like I may just make a trip there. Run up thru Arkansas,
    over thru SE Oklahoma and on back home.

Dray
    Yeah, I’m getting mine done by Jase very shortly, Dray. Same as you....6 hour ride....I thought about taking it out and mailing it, but it’s too good an opportunity to get out for a ride. 6 hours up the coast freeway and a couple of days back through the inland high country

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default What surprised me?

When I was at Monster fuel I was surprised that it takes 2 to 3 hours for the flash to update into the ECU. Blew my mind as he explained how few can be done in one day on one computer.
    What I was also told is that Wickit has to pull the the ECU file information and zip it to Monster fuel. Then Monster Fuel returns the file back to them for the install. I'm not sure how fast this part of the process is.
    With everything that has to line up it's hard to see that happening in just a few hours.
    I apologize if I am wrong as I could easily misunderstand the process?
    Just wanted to share.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Default Please do a few time test

Hi Pete, could you take some time to do some base line testing. 4th gear is where a flash really starts to show it's gains. Maybe do some 4th gear roll on time testing 30 mph to 60 mph? Or a country telephone pole to telephone pole and see if there is any speed gains in that distance. It doesn't have to be precise.
    At my test track my 2016 F3L went from 104 mph stock to 116 mph flashed through the speed trap. For me and the way I ride the I really like the performance uptick in the 5K to 7k range. My Flashed and piped Spyder is a total Hot Rod and moves like the early muscle cars of my younger years. Just a blast to drive.
    My Stock 2016 F3L with the 89 tooth sprocket had RT level restrictions. I had Monster Fuel upgrade me to the F3S Flash which opened my top end up. I used to fall flat at 105 mph but now I pull strong to 115 mph.
    I'm really pulling for Jase and want to get some factual results not just feels like and such.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, I’m getting mine done by Jase very shortly, Dray. Same as you....6 hour ride....I thought about taking it out and mailing it, but it’s too good an opportunity to get out for a ride. 6 hours up the coast freeway and a couple of days back through the inland high country

Pete