Spyder Garage

Default toy hauler ramp solutions??

I'm switching over from a cargo trailer/camper I built to a 2010 29' toy hauler. Ramp is much steeper than the cargo trailer. I have some ideas to reduce the angle but I'd like to see what others have done. All ideas and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Pat
    SIGPIC]2

2016 F3T Lamonster RIP boards, fog lights, Longhorn mirror lights, power plate. SpyderPops skid plate. Painted the silver air intake and grill.

Spyder Garage

Default Toyhauler loading

To load our RT in our toyhauler I back up the ramp until the nose is close to the ground, then I place a pair of ramps behind the front tires and finish backing into the trailer. Our ramp is so steep that I installed a winch in the trailer to assist. Sorry I don't have pics. Also we back the Spyder in to allow room to stand our small trailer on end in the corner which allows us to unload the Spyder without having to unload the trailer.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STEEP ANGLE

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clark View Post
    I'm switching over from a cargo trailer/camper I built to a 2010 29' toy hauler. Ramp is much steeper than the cargo trailer. I have some ideas to reduce the angle but I'd like to see what others have done. All ideas and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Pat
    I carry my RT on the back of my pk-up .... the bed is 28" from the ground ... I use 10ft. alumin. ramps .... the angle is quite steep .... what I did for traction for the rear wheel was this .....a 6' wide X 10' strip of 26ga. galvanized sheet metal that I made dimples on with a large nail and hammer ( looks like a big Cheese grater ).... I have used this in the pouring rain and never lost traction .... I have even stopped , got off the Spyder, checked the alignment, got back on and it never slipped. I can go as slow as one mph and it still doesn't slip. Folks here who have witnessed this are amazed , but convinced .............. good luck ....... a 4x8 sheet costs about $ 35.00 at a steel yard, so you will have left over that can be used for something else oooooooooooooooooooooor sell pieces to your friends who will want some after they see yours in action .................... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-19-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I carry my RT on the back of my pk-up .... the bed is 28" from the ground ... I use 10ft. alumin. ramps .... the angle is quite steep .... what I did for traction for the rear wheel was this .....a 6' wide X 10' strip of 26ga. galvanized sheet metal that I made dimples on with a large nail and hammer .... I have used this in the pouring rain and never lost traction .... I have even stopped , got off the Spyder, checked the alignment, got back on and it never slipped. I can go as slow as one mph and it still doesn't slip. Folks here who have witnessed this are amazed , but convinced .............. good luck ....... a 4x8 sheet costs about $ 35.00 at a steel yard, so you will have left over that can be used for something else oooooooooooooooooooooor sell pieces to your friends who will want some after they see yours in action .................... Mike
    I love your ingenuity, Mike
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try it out first......slowly.

If it drags on the middle, try running the suspension up to "firm".

Also remove any adjustable anchors in the middle of the "garage" near the back.

I only have a problem when I park where the ground behind the RV is lower than the back wheels......so that it makes the ramp angle steeper.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clark View Post
    Thanks, Pat

I had the same problem with my 2004 toy hauler. Additionaly, with the original ramp angle, my Goldwing and the Spyder would hang up at the top of the ramp.

I replaced the bumpers with 1500# adjustable trailer stabilizers,
    IMG_20180520_150246260_HDR.jpg

and then added a hinged 8' ramp from harbor freight.
    IMG_20180520_150350014_HDR.jpg

Added plywood to the top of the ramp and non-skidded it...
    IMG_20180520_150420831_HDR.jpg

It's not the prettiest job, but it works like a charm.

Also, with the adjustable jacks, I don't need to find a perfectly level area to load / unload.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black