Spyder Garage

Default Just upgraded to a 2018 RT Limited from an 2016 F3T..

Hey guys and gals, We Just upgraded to a 2018 RT Limited from an 2016 F3T..BUT i have a weird question. Out on a cruise tonight with another couple that has a Spyder too. While in front of me he told me that my Head lights are "ANOYING as ****" because they seems to change colors and brightness by themselves. So we traded bike and I went in front of him and pay attention to the mirrors. And well fudge sake. When hitting bumbs on the road the light from the headlight do seems to be changing colors. It look like a COP was following me. they go from normal white to blue to red and yellow? WTF???? Anyone else reported this or seen it on a 18??? Its totally weird because only happens at night. He told me that during day light it was fine.

Tks . Daniel "Batman" Martin...

Spyder Garage

Hey Daniel, do you Canadians have the same Hi-Lo shutter sytem on the main beam upper lights like the Yanks do on their RT's, or do you have Low beam where they have Fog lights like all us Aussies & all EU Spec Spyders?? Cos if you've got the seperate Low beam lights like us, it's a common complaint & very likely the cause of at least some of the 'but I just didn't see anything there' accidents!!

The Low beam lights being that much lower than shining pretty close directly at eye level for other drivers, like they do from the upper light units, the unavoidable bounces in the road surface have a much greater impact on how much the light beam they see bobs up & down & how it is apparently refracted thru the projector lens, much more so than it is on Hi-beam, and because the non F3 Spyders all use projector lenses to 'focus & intensify' the light beam, it makes this effect even worse!! And btw, it DOES happen during day time too, it's just that the ambient light on bright days is enough to 'wash out' most of the percieved colour change, but on cloudy days or in a bit of fog or other low light conditions, you end up with the 'can't see um!' or 'I'm being followed by a cop' issue!!

I dunno why BRP can't put a simple twin filament globe in the upper light housings to cater for both Lo & Hi beams, those lower housings are pretty useless for either seeing or being seen simply because other drivers have been trained to look higher than below knee level for other vehicle lights, and I'm sure that the low mounted Low beams contributes significantly to the way Spyders are often just not seen!! Drive with Hi-beam on during the day with a 35W incandescent globe in the upper light unit, and suddenly you will no longer be quite so invisible - but don't try that in the dark!! In the meantime, you either hafta put up with other road users thinking you are flashing them all the time, are a cop, or just not seeing you at all - or you can increase the pressure in the Air Bag to raise the tail of your RT a little & drop your Lo beam lights even more..... Oh, hang on, 2018 RT's no longer have that option, it's all automatic (probably so you'll never know when the compressor is NOT working any more! ) Ahhh well, I guess that there's yet another reason for not being an unpaid Crash Test Dummy on a 2018 Spyder! This BRP Mob seems to be their own worst enemy!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You have the single filament bulb and shutter system on the RT. You can always upgrade to LED bulbs but the shutters will remain. The F3 has dual filament bulbs.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I take issue with calling the RT and upgrade from the F3T! But, to each his own.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Ah yes...

The shutter system does not seem to lock in place and therefore bounces a bit giving you the change in brightness. If you have noticed on the RT the elongated lens cover is isadencent like a rainbow and that will give you the colors. The other models with the shutter system only suffer from the change in brightness for the most part....Don't know if you can change over to the dual filament bulbs and eliminate the shutter for a constant brightness but the bouncing along the highway gives to the color changes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's perfectly "norbal", and part of the game...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A normal situation. Cars sometimes pull over because they think they are getting blue lighted.

Daytime riding--use high beams. At night is when you will encounter it most.

The F3 has it's admirers as well as the RT. I am still in the RT camp. Love the F3 looks--but not the F3 ergos. If I want a cruiser, I ride the Vulcan.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red