Spyder Garage

Default If you like Sci-Fi fiction, try this

A new book by one of our own .... John Simion

https://www.amazon.com/Zarmina-John-...ywords=zarmina
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kind of liked the 1951 Classic: "Forbidden Planet."

As well as anything and everything "Star Trek"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Red face

Science Fiction fan----- Just bought it for the tablet to read on our up coming trip. Recently finished " The Swarm" by Orson Scott Carpenter. ( " The Formic Wars ") Also a good read for those who like Science Fiction.

Lew L

Bob-----" Live long and prosper"
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-18-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Trek quote
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I kind of liked the 1951 Classic: "Forbidden Planet."

As well as anything and everything "Star Trek"...
    Have the VCR of Forbidden Planet. When one considers this was made in 1951, the special effects are awesome. It was also the introduction of Robbie the Robot. We usually watch it about once a year.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

to Mr. Simion.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Lew L

You betcha!

Spock LLandP.jpg

Spyder Garage

I wasn't going to promote myself here but since Pete did it anyway, I'll gladly accept and say "thank you."

I wrote "Zarmina" because I got so frustrated with ordinary sci-fi in which everything is too perfect. In real life there is no gravity in space, the chances of encountering a Class-M (Earth standard) planet are between slim and none, and space aliens are highly unlikely to be either intelligent, hostile, or zombies. Specifically, I read a book by famed sci-fi author Stephen Baxter called "Proxima." That is a story of space colonization which starts out realistic and ultimately goes off the tracks when the colonists discover a "hatchway" in the planet (!) that is actually a wormhole to Earth. I read that and thought, "Rubbish!"

"Zarmina" is the opposite of the usual fantasy sci-fi. I went for realism from Day One. The planet Zarmina is real and tidally-locked with a real red dwarf star, Gliese 581. Because it's tidally-locked, one side of the planet always faces its star and is in perpetual light, much like Earth's moon always shows the same face to Earth. Scientists also believe that Zarmina is within the "habitability zone" of its star. All of this is factual - you can google it. However, what does "habitability zone" mean to human colonization? Nobody knows but my book speculates on it in the tradition of hard sci-fi. For example, I've dealt with issues such as the alien atmosphere, temperature, gravity, and the water cycle. There's even alien life, some of which is highly dangerous, but it's the kind of alien life that might actually on a planet with no seasons or even night.

Into this setting, the starship "Turing" arrives with a load of 100 colonists, who soon discover that their spaceship (built by the low bidder) doesn't have everything they need. For example, what do you mean, there are no power tools? They only have hand tools because power tools are heavy to carry aboard the spaceship, they cost more and would wear out long before the colonists could build a factory to make more of them. Then the colonists discover that the planet is lacking one thing necessary to human life. So what do they do about that? The "Turing" colonists also brought with them human error, emotions and drives. In the beginning, they have to come together to survive but as time passes, conflicts start to arise. Anger over mistakes. Sexual tensions. Greed. Murders occur, there's a grab for power and by the end of the book the colonists have been pitted against one another in outright warfare ... with a twist to that, too.

The book is about 385 pages with two maps and a list of characters and includes the science necessary to support my speculation. It's the work of over two years and has been professionally edited. You can get a sample by clicking on the link Pete provided. If this sounds intriguing to you, PM me and I will send you a FREE copy for Kindle (and there is a free Kindle app for PC if you don't own a Kindle, BTW). There's also a sequel in the works, "Battle for Zarmina" which deals with first contact -- although it's the opposite of what you might expect. That one is in draft form and will be released in the Fall.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I wasn't going to promote myself here but since Pete did it anyway, I'll gladly accept and say "thank you."

I wrote "Zarmina" because I got so frustrated with ordinary sci-fi in which everything is too perfect. In real life there is no gravity in space, the chances of encountering a Class-M (Earth standard) planet are between slim and none, and space aliens are highly unlikely to be either intelligent, hostile, or zombies. Specifically, I read a book by famed sci-fi author Stephen Baxter called "Proxima." That is a story of space colonization which starts out realistic and ultimately goes off the tracks when the colonists discover a "hatchway" in the planet (!) that is actually a wormhole to Earth. I read that and thought, "Rubbish!"

"Zarmina" is the opposite of the usual fantasy sci-fi. I went for realism from Day One. The planet Zarmina is real and tidally-locked with a real red dwarf star, Gliese 581. Because it's tidally-locked, one side of the planet always faces its star and is in perpetual light, much like Earth's moon always shows the same face to Earth. Scientists also believe that Zarmina is within the "habitability zone" of its star. All of this is factual - you can google it. However, what does "habitability zone" mean to human colonization? Nobody knows but my book speculates on it in the tradition of hard sci-fi. For example, I've dealt with issues such as the alien atmosphere, temperature, gravity, and the water cycle. There's even alien life, some of which is highly dangerous, but it's the kind of alien life that might actually on a planet with no seasons or even night.

Into this setting, the starship "Turing" arrives with a load of 100 colonists, who soon discover that their spaceship (built by the low bidder) doesn't have everything they need. For example, what do you mean, there are no power tools? They only have hand tools because power tools are heavy to carry aboard the spaceship, they cost more and would wear out long before the colonists could build a factory to make more of them. Then the colonists discover that the planet is lacking one thing necessary to human life. So what do they do about that? The "Turing" colonists also brought with them human error, emotions and drives. In the beginning, they have to come together to survive but as time passes, conflicts start to arise. Anger over mistakes. Sexual tensions. Greed. Murders occur, there's a grab for power and by the end of the book the colonists have been pitted against one another in outright warfare ... with a twist to that, too.

The book is about 385 pages with two maps and a list of characters and includes the science necessary to support my speculation. It's the work of over two years and has been professionally edited. You can get a sample by clicking on the link Pete provided. If this sounds intriguing to you, PM me and I will send you a FREE copy for Kindle (and there is a free Kindle app for PC if you don't own a Kindle, BTW). There's also a sequel in the works, "Battle for Zarmina" which deals with first contact -- although it's the opposite of what you might expect. That one is in draft form and will be released in the Fall.
    Thanks John. I don't mind paying royalties so I'm going to download it to my Kindle. I don't usually do sci-fi, but since this is a departure from the norm, I'll probably enjoy it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    Thanks for the description: I'll fire up the transporter, and go find it!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IF the planet is within a red dwarf star then superman won't have his powers, batman will defineately beat his ass

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Forbidden Planet is one of my favorites. Congrats on the book, it looks like a good one.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Science Fiction fan----- Just bought it for the tablet to read on our up coming trip. Recently finished " The Swarm" by Orson Scott Carpenter. ( " The Formic Wars ") Also a good read for those who like Science Fiction.

Lew L

Isn't "The Swarm" by Orson Scott Card? Wrote Ender's Game and 9 or 10 others,The Shadow of the Hegemon, Empire, Hidden Empire etc.,etc.,etc.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Question

Yes it is------ Why I wrote "Carpenter" is absolutely beyond me. I actually had the book I mentioned right in front of me??????????

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Zarmina . It's a good read for the si-fi buff.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Zarmina . It's a good read for the si-fi buff. Lew L
    Good to know. I've downloaded it to my Kindle but haven't had the time to read it yet. Saving it for a rainy day
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Congrats John !!!!!!! I knew you were very good a writing fiction, I bet you learned that from your news channels !!!!!!!!

Seriously........ Congrats !!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Done

Finished Johns book. Good with a nice twist at the end that will lead to the next good si-fi book by John

Lew L

Spyder Garage

Default Adventures in Publishing

Thanks to Lew for such kind comments. Again, anyone in the group who would like a free Kindle or pdf version of the book should PM me. I'm not charging right now because I'm hoping to build up reviews on Amazon and the more copies I can distribute, the more reviews I'll probably get and hopefully I'll sell more copies later. The book only came out in April, so I feel pretty good that there are five reviews already. And BTW, Lew, I'm about 1/4 of the way through the second rewrite of the sequel, but it'll get at least one more rewrite even after this one is finished.

I'm learning a lot about publishing and selling books. Electronic copies are cheap ($2.99) on Amazon and I can give them away for free because it's really not costing me anything other than a $2.00 royalty that I might not get anyway. I can't give away free paperbacks, though, because Amazon charges me $5.60 a copy. Even if I sell a paperback at their $9.99 asking price, I make only 39 cents a copy on it after they get all their fees.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Thanks to Lew for such kind comments. Again, anyone in the group who would like a free Kindle or pdf version of the book should PM me. I'm not charging right now because I'm hoping to build up reviews on Amazon and the more copies I can distribute, the more reviews I'll probably get and hopefully I'll sell more copies later. The book only came out in April, so I feel pretty good that there are five reviews already. And BTW, Lew, I'm about 1/4 of the way through the second rewrite of the sequel, but it'll get at least one more rewrite even after this one is finished.

I'm learning a lot about publishing and selling books. Electronic copies are cheap ($2.99) on Amazon and I can give them away for free because it's really not costing me anything other than a $2.00 royalty that I might not get anyway. I can't give away free paperbacks, though, because Amazon charges me $5.60 a copy. Even if I sell a paperback at their $9.99 asking price, I make only 39 cents a copy on it after they get all their fees.
    Interesting insight. Thanks
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Finished it, and really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the next one!

John

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I've been reading Speculative Fiction since the mid-60's when my mother forced me to do a book report for extra credit when I got a "C" in English in the sixth grade (first non-"A" ever <sigh>). So after all the above comments I'm really looking forward to this, and will report back on my adventures.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Proofreader

JOHN,
    Be sure to get a good proofreader for the upcoming book. Does the publishing company proofread what they publish??? I don't know. But I did find 4 or 5 syntax errors and a missing word or two. IT DID NOT DETRACT FROM THE BOOK AT ALL!!

It's funny how the human brain will magically understand what is being written even when a letter or word is missing.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

Lew - Thanks for the catches and for the kind words. I don't doubt a word you said, but believe it or not I actually I used the MS grammar and spell checker, and a good friend of mine who is a retired legal secretary and a stickler for these things proofread the book TWICE and neither of us caught them. All I can say in my defense is that it's hard to catch everything in a book is 385 pages long. It's also possible I may have deliberately chosen bad grammar a couple of times as part of the story. One mistake that someone else noticed was a reference to "Mason Travis" when the character's name in the story was actually "Mason Brown." Well, maybe one of these days I'll re-edit it and fix everything but right now I'm busy trying to edit the sequel, ​Battle for Zarmina.
    2017 RTS , Blue