Thread: Battery life

Spyder Garage

Default Battery life

I know it can't be for sure was just wondering about how long is a lifespan? 2015 F3s. 2yrs riding and 18,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Too many variables to say. Your climate even plays a part, heat is harder on batteries than the cold. I have found one thing that extends their life is to put them on a battery tender during the off season. I would venture to say that it has doubled the life of some of my batteries by having them on a tender during the down times.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3

I have a 2015 F3-S that i purchased new in Feb. 2015....
    i have 47,000 miles of smile on her, and never had an issue with the battery....
    i keep a BATTERY TENDER on her when i'm not riding...
    my JOHN DEERE has a similar battery, and that one is 5 yrs old, again, keeping it on a TENDER....
    dp
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default MrBones..............

If your question is, how long does a battery last, well that depends. If you don't take care of it then maybe 1 or 2 years. If you take proper care of your battery it can give you good service for as many as 7 years. It's all up to you. Take care of your battery and it will take care of you, good luck.

Spyder Garage

Seen a few posts for Battery tenders. How do you know you are getting the right size for your bike? I feel clueless in this aspect. The ones I've seen are 12V, but their amps change. 0.75A, 1.25Am etc.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

RE: Battery Life: I always change out my batteries at four years. Have never had a battery quit and leave me stranded. Replaced the battery on the 2014 this week.

In winter (here OCT - MAR) both go on a Battery Tender JR for the duration. A full tank of gas, some gas additive, and a good ride to charge the battery to full before the "big sleep." The same for my Vulcan.

They always start first try. Scotty recommended not to start and run the units during the sleep. They usually do not get warmed up enough--to do any good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

0.75amps is plenty. It has to be a “tender” or “maintainer”. A trickle charger will boil your battery over. It will destroy it. The maintainer will shut right off when fully charged and will cycle on and off when the battery needs it to replenish. Your battery will be at peak all the time.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed....

Have seen 2 to 7 but you see the variables mentioned above. Just for reference I have an RS bought in 2012 and we ryde all year but it may sit for several weeks now and again. I do not use a tender/charger and the battery is still going strong. Also the amount of electronic gizmos lights bells and whistles you have can affect the life of your battery...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    How do you know you are getting the right size for your bike? I feel clueless in this aspect. The ones I've seen are 12V, but their amps change. 0.75A, 1.25Am etc.
    Most are automatic, regardless of the battery being serviced. Just as long as the packaging is labeled "battery tender or battery maintainer". Usually around 20 to 25 dollars for one. Just attach the two clamps to the terminals and plug it in, it'll do the rest.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have seen 2 to 7 but you see the variables mentioned above. Just for reference I have an RS bought in 2012 and we ryde all year but it may sit for several weeks now and again. I do not use a tender/charger and the battery is still going strong. Also the amount of electronic gizmos lights bells and whistles you have can affect the life of your battery...
    Similar on my F3, don't use a tender as I don't have a garage. Bike is 2014 MY, stood for 4 months Sep 17 - Jan 18 during a really bad winter (for here) and started first crack whenI came to ride it. And I have a tracker fitted.

My last car was an interesting example of how modern batteries seem to behave. Car was 5.5 yrs old, 65K miles, daily use. Original battery went from working perfectly to dead in 2 days with no indication it was failing. Breakdown guy who came out said he sees that experience a lot.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    I know it can't be for sure was just wondering about how long is a lifespan? 2015 F3s. 2yrs riding and 18,000 miles.
    As others have stated it varies on many factors ..... most folks get rid of their Battery long before necessary .... I bought one of the new Lithium JUMPER packs ( less than $ 50 ) ..... I have a new UN-FILLED Yuasa on my shelf ..... The jumper will get me home - and then I will fill and charge my new Battery ..... Un-filled they have an almost indefinite shelf life .... My buddy had an Orig Yuasa battery in His Gold Wing when He sold it ....it was 10 years old ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-24-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Seen a few posts for Battery tenders. How do you know you are getting the right size for your bike? I feel clueless in this aspect. The ones I've seen are 12V, but their amps change. 0.75A, 1.25Am etc.
    the only difference here is in how long it will take the unit to bring the battery up to full charge and enter "float Mode" which simply maintains the battery. For the relatively small size of our batteries the junior will work just fine.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Life and Price

Now that I have the tire dilemma sorted out and considering the bike is a 2015.. I've been doing some research on batteries and I see they are lithium and $200?? I'm used to the sealed batteries for Harley's being $100 or so for a good one. What would prevent me from putting an AGM sealed battery of the same size?? Does the "lithium" component account for the price. I will install my battery tender tomorrow as I just got the bike into my "tiny" garage and under cover. Yes, the heat here in AZ can take a battery out in 2+ years with regularity...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am on my 4th year on my RT. See if I can get another season out of it

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Life and Price

So now I'm confused as what I saw on E Bay was all lithium but I just looked at BRP and they show an AGM.. I will pull my battery tomorrow to see what I have. The lithium makes me nervous with the fires they have started in cell phones and airplanes..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StickerPatch View Post
    So now I'm confused as what I saw on E Bay was all lithium but I just looked at BRP and they show an AGM.. I will pull my battery tomorrow to see what I have. The lithium makes me nervous with the fires they have started in cell phones and airplanes..
    Bought this one as an exact replacement for my F3 last year with great results, but see the price went up $60 since! Also, the lithium might be a different size and you might have fitment issue.. Lamonster's site is good for batteries also.

Yuasa YUAM7250H YTX24HL Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5SBBM..._Pp3.AbMT1R5GX
    Last edited by jneg2; 05-18-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Guess I be good for a bit.

Spyder Garage

Just checked Battery Mart and their brand replacement is $74.95. 1 year guarantee.

Spyder Garage

Original battery here on 2014. Arid-Zone-A heat is hard on batteries and 5-7 years is exceptionally good. I ride almost every week at least once and do not use a tender. Living on the edge.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

shop around local dealers some may give you a good deal too

Spyder Garage

Now that I have the tire dilemma sorted out and considering the bike is a 2015.. I've been doing some research on batteries and I see they are lithium and $200?? I'm used to the sealed batteries for Harley's being $100 or so for a good one. What would prevent me from putting an AGM sealed battery of the same size?? Does the "lithium" component account for the price. I will install my battery tender tomorrow as I just got the bike into my "tiny" garage and under cover. Yes, the heat here in AZ can take a battery out in 2+ years with regularity...
    All Spyders are shipped with Yausa AGM type batteries.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Battery maintainer

The maintainer I have and really like is a Schumacher SHMSPC 3.
    It has a full digital readout, 3 different connect leads, and a collapsible
    hook to hang it on your handle bar.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Question Dead battery on my 2012 RT

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I have a 2015 F3-S that i purchased new in Feb. 2015....
    i have 47,000 miles of smile on her, and never had an issue with the battery....
    i keep a BATTERY TENDER on her when i'm not riding...
    my JOHN DEERE has a similar battery, and that one is 5 yrs old, again, keeping it on a TENDER....
    dp
    SPYD3R
    Sir (or Ma'am),
    in early 2013 I bought a left-over 2012 RT in Florida. I then got a divorce and moved up to Michigan. I still have my OEM battery
    which was (in theory) on a battery tender. I have been here in Michigan for 5 years and never had a problem.
    I had a stroke before I bought the RT and my technical capability is near nil. So I was going to go to the nearest can-am facility which I have used already because replacing the battery is way beyond my capability.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Rob
    Rob Harris, USN, ret
    Thank you all of our future, present and former military for your service throughout the world.

Spyder Garage

Look at the specifications pages of your operator's guide where it will tell you the model number of your battery. Yuasa batteries have a very good serice history in Spyders.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S