Spyder Garage

Default First Ryde In The Rain, Front A Little Slippery

This morning while taking my RTL for the 9300 mile service I found the only rain storm in East Tennessee! Wasn’t bad at first, but finally got bad enough I stopped under an overpass and put on my rain gear. It was coming down hard and I was on I-75. Found out that when I I got above 50 the fronts (Federal Evos) wanted to hydroplane. They were on it when I got it and look pretty new, lots of tread to go. Traction was fine until it got really heavy. Not sure any tire would have done much better in that. Other than that very happy with the ride in the rain.

What have others experienced with fronts in heavy rain?

(P.S. Doing this on my phone, hope it comes out understandable!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Post showed fine. Stock tires on my Spyder. Heavy rain a few times, speeds were up there. No problems experienced. There are different levels of heavy rain though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Curious what psi you have in the tires? The Kenda’s should have between 18-20 ish. Maybe too high a pressure makes the tires harder and not ride so well in certain conditions.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 05-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Stock tyres on my 2016 F3T and rode about 450 miles in medium to frog drowning rain at freeway speeds and no issues.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Default Not to mention

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    There are different levels of heavy rain though.
    Not to mention different definitions.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Curious what psi you have in the tires? The Kendra’s should have between 18-20 ish. Maybe too high a pressure makes the tires harder and not ride so well in certain conditions.
    Set them to 16 yesterday. Manual said 15 +/- 2. Would it be different since they are Evo’s?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Not to mention different definitions.
    True! Lots of water was coming out from under the sides of the fenders.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What rear tire do you have?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What rear tire do you have?
    Kenda with 9k on it. Close to replacement. I have been trying to decide if it was the rear, but don’t think there was any fish tailing. Just felt and looked like the front moved. Have 28psi in the rear.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    Kenda with 9k on it. Close to replacement. I have been trying to decide if it was the rear, but don’t think there was any fish tailing. Just felt and looked like the front moved. Have 28psi in the rear.
    Hmmm, I usually felt that the hydroplaning was caused by my rear tire. I had the Evo with a Kumho on the rear and that was not a good combination on wet roads. I run the Federal Firmoza with a General Altimax and don’t have hydroplaning issues, unless there is a lot of standing water-then it doesn’t matter what you’ve got for tires.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Hmmm, I usually felt that the hydroplaning was caused by my rear tire. I had the Evo with a Kumho on the rear and that was not a good combination on wet roads. I run the Federal Firmoza with a General Altimax and don’t have hydroplaning issues, unless there is a lot of standing water-then it doesn’t matter what you’ve got for tires.
    Was surprised, I would have thought the rear would before the fronts. While I was waiting on mine, looked at the fronts on the new ‘18’s and they looked like they would be better at moving water than the Evo. There was a lot of water on the road, probably some standing. Two hour ride home now. If I hit rain again we will see. Looks clear now.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have also experienced hydroplaning when going through water at over 50 mph. After "nanny" saved my bacon twice, I figured out not to go to fast on roads covered with water.

I run OEM Kendas.

The manuals (2011 & 2014) have a statement about hydroplaning somewhere. BRP did the usual CYA.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-18-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HYDROPLANING

#1..... ALL tires will Hydro-plane at some speed .......... #2. you want to delay that as much as possible, so decrease the PSI's ( in a car tire ) to 14 ..... yes you can safely do this ..... #3. what a tire looks like is really meaningless ...( except for DOT legal race day tires - or if they are bald ..... #4.... the weight bias front to rear ( if not exaggerated ) is not as important as over-all vehicle weight, this is for mostly straight line running ( tight curves change things ) ...... #5.... as Ann pointed out - it's possible it was the rear tire that Hydro-planed. ................. Spyders are probably more likely to Hydro-plane sooner than a two wheel Mtc. when the roads are wet ..... Braking not accounted for ..... Hopes this helps ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-18-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

one time riding home from Colorado there was lightening on both sides of the freeway with no overpasses or exits in site; finally after about 20 miles of this nonsense I see a exit and a motel 6, i literally had to dive in to the front door

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    one time riding home from Colorado there was lightening on both sides of the freeway with no overpasses or exits in site; finally after about 20 miles of this nonsense I see a exit and a motel 6, i literally had to dive in to the front door
    That would make for a little bit of a pucker factor.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

especially on the tire pressure as you have much stiffer sidewalls on the car tires. But it seems you did quite well in the downpour
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

T

What have others experienced with fronts in heavy rain?
    Hydroplaning!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Know my rear has on crappy Louisiana black top in the ruts around 55-64mph only time nanny has appeared, stock tire over pressure & simi bald was replaced shortly there after (16k m) no problem with fronts (also stock) except for dodging roadkill first the few thousand miles thankfully. Up to 44k m now might need a rear tire mid season Ryde it till I do, it's doing ok.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have also experienced hydroplaning when going through water at over 50 mph. After "nanny" saved my bacon twice, I figured out not to go to fast on roads covered with water.

I run OEM Kendas.

The manuals (2011 & 2014) have a statement about hydroplaning somewhere. BRP did the usual CYA.
    Was it on the fronts or rear?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Spyder Garage

Was it on the fronts or rear?
    Thinking a combo of both. Nanny kicked in real quick and kept me from doing a 360. We have grooves from studded snow tire use and they fill up with water quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I base my thoughts on tread pattern for wet on Formula 1 tires. They have a pattern that pushes the water out away from the center of the tire, whether the intermediate or full wet. The Kendas and Evo have that similar pattern.

F1 Full Wet.jpg

akspyderman, you made a comment about Nanny. It got me thinking, when I first pulled back on to the interstate, it felt as though it was missing. I thought to myself, has the rain got into the engine somehow. But now, I believe the Nanny was backing me down at first. I was still getting some aquaplaning (The way the Brits say it).
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hydroplaning can happen to virtually any vehicle on the road during a decent storm.
    Slow down, and watch for deepest collections of water: you'll always be fine!

(But the 225 rear tire DOES make the Spyder just a bit more susceptible to it...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WET ROAD - EXPECTATIONS

I base my thoughts on tread pattern for wet on Formula 1 tires. They have a pattern that pushes the water out away from the center of the tire, whether the intermediate or full wet. The Kendas and Evo have that similar pattern.

F1 Full Wet.jpg

akspyderman, you made a comment about Nanny. It got me thinking, when I first pulled back on to the interstate, it felt as though it was missing. I thought to myself, has the rain got into the engine somehow. But now, I believe the Nanny was backing me down at first. I was still getting some aquaplaning (The way the Brits say it).
    Seeing is not necessarily believing. As I said earlier what may look good can fool you ...... I base my wet road thoughts on Science ......... and if you really want better wet road handling get - skinny Snow tires .... also those tires pictured above have more to do with the rubber compound than the tread pattern - the FULL WET tire has a very high " hysteresis " formula in their rubber compound .... they will wear out much sooner when driven on dry roads ........ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-19-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Seeing is not necessarily believing. As I said earlier what may look good can fool you ...... I base my wet road thoughts on Science ......... and if you really want better wet road handling get - skinny Snow tires .... also those tires pictured above have more to do with the rubber compound than the tread pattern - the FULL WET tire has a very high " hysteresis " formula in their rubber compound .... they will wear out much sooner when driven on dry roads ........ Mike
    The compound does wear out quickly due to heat when run in the dry. However, the tread patterns are designed to disperse water to keep traction in the wet. The tread patterns are different depending on conditions. This is from the Formula 1 website about the Pirelli tires: "At full speed the Pirelli intermediate tyre can disperse up to 30 litres of water per second, while the full wet tyre can disperse 85 litres per second." 85 liters is a little over 22 gallons, pretty amazing to me.

So it is obvious that tread patterns do make a difference in water displacement and, therefore, traction on wet roads. It can be too wet even for the full wet tires, although I've only seen that happen a few times.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Pedal Box