Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    BAD advice, especially for "wet cell" batteries and other types to some degree.
    Most last longest if kept within 10% or so of fully charged.

Different rules apply for the old NiCad rechargeables and some of the newer designs.
    Lithium cells seem to like to be used.
    Like I said I do not know and have no facts. I have been told by several people not to leave a tender on all the time. I have been riding motorcycles for over 60 years. The first Battery Tender I got was in 2005. Like I had said I only used it in the winder and I would just leave in on for maybe one night then leave it off for three to four weeks then put it on for one night. I have had six bikes since 2005 and I have never had any battery problems. I will continue doing as I have and if it goes down I will replace the battery at that time.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

gerald37 you really don’t know what a battery tender’s purpose is do you. Plug in the tender and walk away. It will only come on when the battery needs to be recharged. And then it shuts off,,,, completely. Every battery known to mankind looses power when just sitting. You’re using your tender as a charger. If anyone following this thread is getting a little bit dizzy from the back and forth of these conversations,, just Google it! There are a lot of very smart people on this forum but as you can see there is a lot of confusion for something so simple. Plug it in!!!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Not to steal post, but also a newbie with a 2016 F3-T that does not have a battery tender pigtail installed. Looking for a convenient location for access to plug. Have searched but everything shows to drill hole in frunk. Looking for clean look and convenient.
    2016 F3-TSE , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    gerald37 you really don’t know what a battery tender’s purpose is do you. Plug in the tender and walk away. It will only come on when the battery needs to be recharged. And then it shuts off,,,, completely. Every battery known to mankind looses power when just sitting. You’re using your tender as a charger. If anyone following this thread is getting a little bit dizzy from the back and forth of these conversations,, just Google it! There are a lot of very smart people on this forum but as you can see there is a lot of confusion for something so simple. Plug it in!!!

SilverFox
    I have said twice I have no facts and I'am probably stupid compared to you but I have never had any battery problems and will continue doing what I have been doing.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Inflatableman View Post
    Not to steal post, but also a newbie with a 2016 F3-T that does not have a battery tender pigtail installed. Looking for a convenient location for access to plug. Have searched but everything shows to drill hole in frunk. Looking for clean look and convenient.
    When I got mine, I thought I didn't have it installed. It ended up hiding behind the computer access panel in the frunk. Have you looked there?
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    gerald37 you really don’t know what a battery tender’s purpose is do you.

And then it shuts off,,,, completely.
    Apparently he is not the only one who doesn't grasp all the details.

Some shut completely off but most drop down to a low "float" voltage and stay there until a bit of a charge is needed again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have searched but everything shows to drill hole in frunk. Looking for clean look and convenient.
    You have a problem drilling a small hole out the back of the frunk to attach to the battery ?
    If so, why ??
    Nobody will know it's there but you.

Where in Central Florida are you ?

Spyder Garage

Default outlet in trunk can be used with cigarette lighter adapter

Not sure which model you have but on our 2014 RTL there is an outlet in the rear trunk for using a cigarette style adapter for power. This can be used for a Battery Tender adapter as well. The fuse up front "may" need to be moved over to a different slot for this point to be "live", but that's easy to do. The manual even mentions it.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

You have a problem drilling a small hole out the back of the frunk to attach to the battery ?
    If so, why ??
    Nobody will know it's there but you.

Where in Central Florida are you ?
    It's a dry space, and do not want to mess with that. If it comes to that i will. Would just like to untuck the lead from somewhere and plug it in and when done just tuck it back.

We are located in Longwood. This is wife's ride, traded up from a Victory Cross Country, she is ecstatic, just got to get past all this rain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Apparently he is not the only one who doesn't grasp all the details.

Some shut completely off but most drop down to a low "float" voltage and stay there until a bit of a charge is needed again.

Sorry, but I do Know exactly how a Battery Tender works but I guess there are two of you that don't understand that some people want to be sure their Spyder will start without a Battery Tender on all the time. If my battery is weak I want to change it at home not out on a trip. That is my reason for not using it all the time besides I don't need it because I don't leave my Spyder setting. This is my last post on this thread.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a dry space, and do not want to mess with that. If it comes to that i will. Would just like to untuck the lead from somewhere and plug it in and when done just tuck it back.
    Once the lead is through the hole, silicone calk should seal it back again.
    Just realized that I probably need to check mine and see if there is a hole that needs to be plugged.

Mine dangles inside....until I tuck it into one of the mesh pockets; pretty much exactly as you stated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Sorry, but I do Know exactly how a Battery Tender works
    That comment was NOT directed at YOU.
    That's why I quoted the person that it WAS directed to.

Lighten up a bit, please.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 05-23-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree with Easy Rider on the second part of his statement based on personal experience, Highwayman.

...So if you do have your Spyder constantly on a tender, it could well be that your battery is slowly deteriorating without you knowing it, and your first overnighter could leave you with a flat battery..... I will continue to attach my tender when I park at home, and keep the Rugged Geek on the F3 for backup.
    Pete why would you continue to use your tender after experiencing the exact scenario Easy Rider presented?

I am one of the never use a tender crowd and with all our motorcycles and 4 syders we've never needed one.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Default Also haave the 16 F3T

And like others I ran mine out the left side near the suspension. It is a clear shot and easy to attach the battery pig-tail that comes with the DelTran Tender JR, and then run the SAE plug straight out and ziptie it to the upper A-Arm. Its handy when you need it and stays put without moving on the road.

No Muss, No Fuss, No Drilling.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 05-23-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    And like others I ran mine out the left side near the suspension. It is a clear shot and easy to attach the battery pig-tail that comes with the DelTran Tender JR, and then run the SAE plug straight out and ziptie it to the upper A-Arm. Its handy when you need it and stays put without moving on the road.

No Muss, No Fuss, No Drilling.
    Thanks! That's exactly what I did. With only 18 in there are not many options. Just used a couple of tie wraps to keep in place.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    There are no dumb questions... We've all been there

Re tender - I would say essential on the twins unless ridden daily. No need on the triple... it has different and improved alternator set-up vs the twins.
    Disagree. It's the questions that's been asked and answered dozens of times and the answers readily available to those who look.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    Pete why would you continue to use your tender after experiencing the exact scenario Easy Rider presented?

I am one of the never use a tender crowd and with all our motorcycles and 4 syders we've never needed one.
    Yeah, good question, John (or Marilyn).....For my particular circumstances, it’s because it has no downsides. My F3 battery ran down after a couple of weeks virtually from new. Others have experienced the same, so it sounded quite normal. I keep promising myself to check for a parasitic draw, but have been too lazy to do so as yet.

I never know if I am going to head out tomorrow or in a couple of weeks, and I really don’t want to hit the start button and hear nothing when I’ve got friends waiting for me. If the tender IS hiding a deteriorating battery which exposes itself while I’m out on the road, I can use the RuggedGeek to get me somewhere where I can get a new one.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red