Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default More dumb questions from a newbie ....

When is it necessary to leave the Spyder hooked up to a charger? when not in use for a week? a month?
    Do I have to hook up the battery tender straight to the battery? If I have a USB installed can I just plug the tender into the USB port?

Spyder Garage

I’m new at this as well but mine is hooked up full time to a tender that I got off Amazon for 24 bucks. Plugs into a pigtail in the frunk.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most dealers install a Battery Tender pigtail for use with their Jr battery charger/maintainer. There are many chargers but Battery Tender makes the better chargers and most bikers use their JR version which is easy to use. If you don’t have the pigtail the JR does come with one to permanently attach to the battery so you can plug the tender in when not riding.

If you ride a lot then you don’t need to do it but ride only on weekends it might be a good idea to keep the battery good.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are no dumb questions... We've all been there

Re tender - I would say essential on the twins unless ridden daily. No need on the triple... it has different and improved alternator set-up vs the twins.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post

Re tender - I would say essential on the twins unless ridden daily. No need on the triple... it has different and improved alternator set-up vs the twins.
    Hi Lois that’s shorthand for us newbies. One refers to the 990 the other to the 1330 right?
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don't know about the twin cylinder models but it is definitely necessary on the 1330's if not riding the Spyder for more than two weeks. There are systems that never go to sleep on the newer Spyders and they will drain the battery to the level it will not start if not connected to a battery maintainer. Do not use a charger for long term use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Hi Lois that’s shorthand for us newbies. One refers to the 990 the other to the 1330 right?
    Right ! 1330 is the triple. We couldn't leave my Rs or st untendered for any longer than a week, our f3s' are fine - longest without a ride is about six weeks, started right up.

Sorry for the shorthand lingo...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArañaRider View Post
    When is it necessary to leave the Spyder hooked up to a charger? when not in use for a week? a month?
    Do I have to hook up the battery tender straight to the battery? If I have a USB installed can I just plug the tender into the USB port?
    No a USB port won't work. It is only 4.5 volts and is "one way".

Continuous use of a battery tender is not necessary.

If ridden 10 miles once a week or more, no need to worry about it. If the battery dies in a week, it was bad anyway.

If not ridden for 2 weeks or more, a tender is a good idea......but should not be needed if the battery is healthy and fully charged going in.

If it will sit a month or more, highly recommended.

And it can be connected to any 12 V connection point that is "hot" when the ignition is OFF.
    And should be fused.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, bad answer.

The charging system on the vehicle makes little to no difference......unless it isn't working at all.

While it is just sitting, there is a tiny standby drain from some of the electronics and the battery itself loose charge over time.

It is the amount of "OFF" time that is important.....and the health of the battery.

Spyder Garage

Plug the battery tender in all the time. It cost practically pennies to do so and what if it just happens that you should not use your Spyder for longer than you expected. Are you going to start keeping track of how long you haven’t ridden just to make sure the battery has enough power. What if it’s an emergency? This discussion has come up so many times it’s getting somewhat boring but please,,, keep asking questions. That’s how we all become better Spyder ryders. I have a 2011 RTLTD and I’m still on the same battery. I carry one of those small booster packs that I’ve used on my buddies bikes because they don’t believe in a “battery tender “ . My ATV is a 2007 Polaris 800x2 twin and I still have the original battery. I plow a 1 acre lot with a 60 in. Glacier plow all winter long ( in Northern Ontario). (You all know what a winch does to those small batteries) Never had a problem. I don’t plug it in when I’m on a trip, but at home why not? Happy ryding y’all.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

One more thing, make sure battery connections remain tight, if you add any connection like a pigtail for a tender. That can cause more problems than a low battery. Average battery life seems to be around 3-5years when maintained in off season, riding habits & tempteture causes many variables as well as accessories lights & sound.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender B

All very helpful Options and TIPS. I do not use the battery maintainer during the warmer months but I ride at least once a week. Maybe for more than a month with no ride time I would use the maintainer. Check and keep the battery at least 12.6 volts.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right ! 1330 is the triple. We couldn't leave my Rs or st untendered for any longer than a week, our f3s' are fine - longest without a ride is about six weeks, started right up.

Sorry for the shorthand lingo...
    HUH? Your lingo was not shorthand... mentioning the number of cylinders is equally as descriptive as mentioning the number of CCs.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    I don’t plug it in when I’m on a trip, but at home why not? Happy ryding y’all.

SilverFox
    Since you carry a jump-pack this isn't a concern for you but for others..............

The "why not" is: Keeping it on a tender ALL of the time will "mask" a failing battery and ensure that it starts every time on the first try in your warm and convenient garage......and then fail out on the road somewhere, where it is NOT convenient.

How hard it is to realize:"I haven't ridden the Spyder for a few weeks; better connect the tender for a few days" ???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY POWER ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    All very helpful Options and TIPS. I do not use the battery maintainer during the warmer months but I ride at least once a week. Maybe for more than a month with no ride time I would use the maintainer. Check and keep the battery at least 12.6 volts.
    This past winter I deliberately didn't use my maintainer ( 1330 RT ) .... because I wanted the Battery to FAIL ..... well it DIDN'T ........... fired right up after 4 + months ........go figure .............. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .. because I wanted the Battery to FAIL ..... well it DIDN'T ....
    Which is pretty good evidence that in a lot of circumstances you really don't NEED a tender.
    Thank you for your support.

Spyder Garage

When I pull either of my bikes into the garage, part of the dismounting ritual is to connect the battery tender. A few cents a day to make sure the battery is topped of is worth it. Always connect the pigtail directly to the battery. If you put it in the right place, you can also use it to plug in your heated gear.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Almost everyone I know who ride use some type of battery tender and when finished riding for the day
    plug it in. and leave it plugged in until your next ride, this will add a lot of life to your battery.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ArañaRider View Post

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    this will add a lot of life to your battery.
    Dave
    ONLY if:
    The charging system does not keep it fully charged.
    AND
    It sits for a LONG time between rides.

If the charging system is working good AND it is ridden fairly often, the AGM batteries in Spyders really don't NEED a constant tender.

As a matter of fact, keeping it connected all the time will tend to mask a failing battery and ensure that the final failure will occur AWAY from home.

But I've said that a lot on here lately and it appears the almost nobody understands it.
    When their battery dies 100 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon maybe it will sink in.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    ONLY if:
    AND

If the charging system is working good AND it is ridden fairly often, the AGM batteries in Spyders really don't NEED a constant tender.

As a matter of fact, keeping it connected all the time will tend to mask a failing battery and ensure that the final failure will occur AWAY from home.

But I've said that a lot on here lately and it appears the almost nobody understands it.
    When their battery dies 100 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon maybe it will sink in.
    I can find no verification of this happening. Perhaps some kind of article you could list to prove it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I can find no verification of this happening. Perhaps some kind of article you could list to prove it.
    As much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree with Easy Rider on the second part of his statement based on personal experience, Highwayman.

I leave my battery on its tender whenever I remember to plug it in. If I didn’t remember to plug it in, it wouldn’t start after a few days. Alarm bells should have started to go off, but the F3 was only a little over 12 months old, so I assumed it was a parasitic draw of some kind, not the battery.....poor assumption. I never got around to checking for parasitic draw.

Recently, I took the tender off in the morning and headed off on an overnighter. Sure enough, it wouldn’t start the next morning. I used my RuggedGeek to get going to the nearest bike shop and the battery was cactus. Luckily they had one in stock.

So if you do have your Spyder constantly on a tender, it could well be that your battery is slowly deteriorating without you knowing it, and your first overnighter could leave you with a flat battery. This will not be a problem for anyone carrying a jump starter like a Rugged Geek, but could prove vexing if you are riding alone without a jump starter. For me, I will continue to attach my tender when I park at home, and keep the Rugged Geek on the F3 for backup.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Battery Tender but have only used it in off riding season. I have never used it during riding season on any motorcycle I have owned. My bikes never set more than three maybe four days without riding. The only time I ever had a bike that would not start it probably needed a battery replaced. I always make sure everything is turned off on the bikes so they would not run the battery down.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    ONLY if:
    AND

I purchased a new BMW LT in 2005. I purchased a new Battery Tender from him at the time. He told me to only use the tender if I was not going to be riding for a long period of time. The battery would last longer if it does go down and up. I have also been told this by other people I have no facts to this. I do know I never use one only through the winter months and I never leave it on only maybe one day then take it off for several days.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    How about my own experience......and the experience of many others ??

And maybe just a tiny bit on knowledge about batteries and trying to apply a little logic to the situation ?????

Don't accept it if you don't want to. No skin off my nose.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    The battery would last longer if it does go down and up.
    BAD advice, especially for "wet cell" batteries and other types to some degree.
    Most last longest if kept within 10% or so of fully charged.

Different rules apply for the old NiCad rechargeables and some of the newer designs.
    Lithium cells seem to like to be used.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 05-21-2018 at 08:04 PM.