Thread: DPS failure

Spyder Garage

Default DPS failure

Since I’m bombing BPR regarding F3 Clutch Assist on the F3 forum I thought I’d throw out the question of how many 2011 RTs have had their DPS replaced. I also have, the wife has, a 2011 DPS replaced this spring with a little over 11,000 miles. While on the phone with a dealers parts manager last week I asked him the same question. He under his breath admitted several, which leads me to wonder if it is another weak link in BRP armor. It cost me a little over $1900.00. I would of done it myself but don't have BUDS. I knew early in the 2011 run the DPS were failing but was assured by my dealer my wasn’t on the recall.

Spyder Garage

If it was a recall you could check your vin # on the BRP sight, if it was simply a campaign, maybe try another dealer to verify the information, however they may need to access the part itself & charge you labor for doing so (try to stay with the service manager, makeing sure they don't just call other dealer just to ask & tell you the same)
    just a thought

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The DPS recall largely affected the 2008 to 2010 bikes. They were already being replaced before the 2011s were introduced...

Sometimes: stuff just breaks.

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hoping the curse does not come after me. No DPS issues on my 2011 at seven years and 28,000 miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Kennard View Post
    Since I’m bombing BPR regarding F3 Clutch Assist on the F3 forum I thought I’d throw out the question of how many 2011 RTs have had their DPS replaced. I also have, the wife has, a 2011 DPS replaced this spring with a little over 11,000 miles. While on the phone with a dealers parts manager last week I asked him the same question. He under his breath admitted several, which leads me to wonder if it is another weak link in BRP armor. It cost me a little over $1900.00. I would of done it myself but don't have BUDS. I knew early in the 2011 run the DPS were failing but was assured by my dealer my wasn’t on the recall.
    Sorry you had this Failure .... you probably won't be happy with this, but if you could have done the work your-self ....a BUDS reset might not have been necessary ( BRP lists almost any work done on any Spyder requires a BUDS re-set , I have found this NOT TO BE TRUE ) ..... but if it did, most dealers will do the BUDS re-set for a small charge ....if not then they Su*k .... I'm not impressed with your dealer and the way they are treating you .....jmho ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not a cheap repair. I guess Spyders aren't known for that (inexpensive repairs).

Spyder Garage

Default DPS? Buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Kennard View Post

New to Spyder world. Can you tell me what DPS and BUDS stand for? Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS & BUDS

Quote Originally Posted by Rawspyder View Post
    DPS = power steering device ..........BUDS = the computer program that can communicate with all the Spyder computers & their memories ..................... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    DPS = power steering device ..........BUDS = the computer program that can communicate with all the Spyder computers & their memories ..................... Mike

Great thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rawspyder View Post
    Dynamic Power Steering and BRP Utility and Diagnostic Software
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles