Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

I do not hear anyone say they did there own service ?I am not rich ,and capable to do my own service .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I do not hear anyone say they did there own service ?I am not rich ,and capable to do my own service .
    For the price some are quoting for a first service, I Did my own oil change and Rear tire change for less.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The manual for 2013 states that the Spyder is to be inspected by the dealer at 600 miles at the owners expense, on page 126. There is a sign off for the dealer on that page. Guess that is where the confusion began. The dealer should know what they are to do at 600 miles. It's not unusual to have the oil changed at 500 miles on a new motorcycle engine.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    The manual for 2013 states that the Spyder is to be inspected by the dealer at 600 miles at the owners expense, on page 126. There is a sign off for the dealer on that page. Guess that is where the confusion began. The dealer should know what they are to do at 600 miles. It's not unusual to have the oil changed at 500 miles on a new motorcycle engine.
    True regarding the 2013, a V-twin, but the OP has a 1330 ACE engine and the break-in inspection page on 2014 and later RTs operator's guides says 3,000 miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    True regarding the 2013, a V-twin, but the OP has a 1330 ACE engine and the break-in inspection page on 2014 and later RTs operator's guides says 3,000 miles.
    Good point!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If that is your choice and you fully understand that it is early. Nothing wrong with that. Whether by misunderstanding or deception. If people believe that doing the first service before it is specified by the manufacturer is somehow required. That needs to be cleared up.
    I wasn't deceived or misled. Nobody told me to do it and I totally knew it wasn't required. I'm just really careful with my machinery and thought that spending the $$$ for an early oil change would get rid of metal shavings left over from manufacturing, since I've always heard that a great deal of wear and tear takes place in the first few hundred miles. Maybe that's wrong, I dunno. Doing the early oil change might or might not help the engine last longer but I figured it sure wouldn't hurt. It'll still get the actual required first service at 3000 and that will be coming soon.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    After re-reading the book I'll give you that I was wrong on the details, but I'm still glad I did my 3,000 at 600.
    Earlier is never bad. Just the cost if you are paying a dealer to do it. Most people do not wait the full 9,300 miles in between either. So far, I am at once a year, but have not got to close to the 9,300 interval.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Earlier is never bad. Just the cost if you are paying a dealer to do it. Most people do not wait the full 9,300 miles in between either. So far, I am at once a year, but have not got to close to the 9,300 interval.
    When I lived in Calif. I could have followed the mileage requirements, but now that I'm in Missouri I'll most likely be once a year. I'm still glad I did it at 600 miles.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Absolutely not. I paid 250 for the 600 mile service and 250 for the 3,000 mile service.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My owners manual says break-in period inspection is 3,000 miles and then every 9,300 miles OR every year thereafter (based on which comes first). This on the 1330 engine, NOT the V-Twin.

I would NOT go back to that dealer....ye’s feeding you false information and getting rich off of it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I paid $240 for the 3,000 mile initial service, and the dealer said “ unless you have a problem, come back in a year or when you reach 12,000 miles”.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Guys you know this thread is 2.5 years old?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2021 at 09:14 PM. Reason: thread

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Guys you know this thread is 2.5 years old?
    Even though it’s 2 years plus, i figured the quesrion warranted an answer, after all, it is atill a common question/ concern for newbies. I don’t think he needs to be ignored.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Oct. 12, 2021

The manual says the first service and oil change is 3,000 miles. Some dealers say they want to remove the metal filings with the oil change. Besides that, the dealers say they want to check the tightness of everything and torque whatever might need tightening. You would thing everything would be checked at delivery, but in case something is not right, they would correct it at the 600 mile service. I am sure some dealers just want to get another $250- $350 dollars. I think that if the dealer wants a 600 mile service, they do it for free to make sure their customers are safe and that everything is okay until 3,000. JMO
    My 600 miles would come up in the next week or so, therefore I have to decide what I want to do.

Motogordo Spyderman

Spyder Garage

Oct. 12, 2021

I was just thinking that BRP is very conscious about what they will authorize under warranty repairs. It takes lots of time for authorization from BRP to Dealers. Since they are so concerned about warranties you would think they would tell you to get a 600 mile service so that they don't have to pay for a new engine or some other parts. They obviously don't think that is necessary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    Oct. 12, 2021

The manual says the first service and oil change is 3,000 miles. Some dealers say they want to remove the metal filings with the oil change. Besides that, the dealers say they want to check the tightness of everything and torque whatever might need tightening. You would thing everything would be checked at delivery, but in case something is not right, they would correct it at the 600 mile service. I am sure some dealers just want to get another $250- $350 dollars. I think that if the dealer wants a 600 mile service, they do it for free to make sure their customers are safe and that everything is okay until 3,000. JMO
    My 600 miles would come up in the next week or so, therefore I have to decide what I want to do.

Motogordo Spyderman
    Your first sentence says it all.

If BRP says so, it must be all right.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red