Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st 600 miles service follow up

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Yep...2016 ST-S with a 998
    Well, I feel like a fool. My bike is 2018 RT Limited, a little over 3 weeks old and speaking with the service manager when I picked up the bike, he told me to make sure to bring it back at 600 for the first service. Who am I to argue with the expert "Can am" dealer? Since I had over 800, he told me to bring it back around 4000 miles.Its a big investment and want the experts to take care of it, but not being robed. They "worked" on the bike over 4 hours, may be they did what was supposed to be done at the 3000 mark. Anyway, I will have the bike serviced but at another dealership. I am in Texas, BTW.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    Well, I feel like a fool. My bike is 2018 RT Limited, a little over 3 weeks old and speaking with the service manager when I picked up the bike, he told me to make sure to bring it back at 600 for the first service. Who am I to argue with the expert "Can am" dealer? Since I had over 800, he told me to bring it back around 4000 miles.Its a big investment and want the experts to take care of it, but not being robed. They "worked" on the bike over 4 hours, may be they did what was supposed to be done at the 3000 mark. Anyway, I will have the bike serviced but at another dealership. I am in Texas, BTW.
    The service guy is wrong again. After the 3,000 mile oil change, you can go another 9,300 OR one year--whichever comes first. That is also in the manual.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Where did you by your Spyder?
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The trike was just beginning to get broke in at 600-1000 miles. I wouldn't even think that there would be any stretching of the drive belt. You got robbed!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I would demand a refund and or tell them you will call BRP to report it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

If they are that incompetent I would Call James Thorne up in Houston to see when would be a good milage to do the first service and take it to him. Since you did it at 600, I would wait till it gets to 7000. 713-320-5889
    Last edited by AY4B; 05-17-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just had my 2018 RT serviced. My dealer wanted to do an oil change at 500 miles and when I asked why, he said 500 mile breakin oil change is done on all bikes. I said I’ll have it done when the book says to.

My my preferred dealer did it when I took it in at 3106 miles for a cost of $265 plus $91 oil kit. In California
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 05-17-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default PA dealer service prices...

Just wanted to share this link of service rates from my area dealer...
    https://smithmarineusa.com/Dealer-Se...Spyder-Service
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry, I can'y copy and paste page 49

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Read your manual again!!!!!! page 109.

Original post corrected
    Last edited by Blue Star; 05-19-2018 at 12:18 AM.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I have a 2016 F3T, and the owners manual still says to do the 600 miles break-in service.

Hmm. I am looking at the manual for my 2016 F3 limited right now and it states "1st inspection-3,000 miles", and it goes on to detail what they check on.

my page 34 says, "after the break-in period, your vehicle should be inspected per the maintenance schedule.

I wonder if the 600 mile confusion comes from the break-in period itself, where for the first 600 miles the manual states that a break-in period of 600 miles is required for the vehicle. it goes on to tell you what to do and not do regarding operation of the spyder during this period (don't stay at the same RPM, avoid full throttle acceleration, etc......

I think the OP's dealer really did them a disservice, which is a shame.
    Last edited by BoxyLady; 05-17-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When asking a question about your Spyder. Tell us the year and model of your Spyder. It is very important. I had to look at your profile to figure out what Spyder that you have. So a 2018 RT. The first service is at 3,000 miles not 600. Not sure why you would bring it in so early. The owners manual is your friend. Take a look at the maintenance schedule.
    BRP needs to fix those manuals. Both my 2014 Rtf say first service at 600 miles. Fortunately my dealer was honest enough to tell me it is a misprint. I wonder how many new owners got screwed by the dealer?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

IMO, BRP does a lot of cutting and pasting from older manuals when publishing new model ones with absolutely no checking by technical writers who should be intimately familiar with the new vehicles. As far as correcting the online manuals, there is absolutely no effort to do so; e.g., the picture of the dipstick on page 124 of the 2014 RT manual is still the same incorrect one that appeared in the original edition.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I just had my 3000 checkup and it cost me $195.00 and my dealer told me next checkup should be done at about 10,000 miles!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Time for a new dealer!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    BRP needs to fix those manuals. Both my 2014 Rtf say first service at 600 miles. Fortunately my dealer was honest enough to tell me it is a misprint. I wonder how many new owners got screwed by the dealer?
    That was the first year of the 1330/6 speed bikes. They corrected this a long time ago...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    I just had my 3000 checkup and it cost me $195.00 and my dealer told me next checkup should be done at about 10,000 miles!
    If you want to split hairs: it's actually 12,300 mores, OR one year.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A9BB5C6C-9250-46EE-AED4-AF11E5696CF8.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue

3,000 for the first service not 600. Page 109 IS the Maintenance schedule.
    Star;1361577
    I did read my manual, and refer you to page 49 where it says "Operating During Break-In". It states "after the break-in period, your vehicle should be inspected as per the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE." Now you could say you do all of the first inspection without the oil change part at 600, but the owners manual does not say that. Either way, as for the amount of money I paid for my spyder I'll follow the manual where it says that at 600 you do the first inspection. Then when I go 9300 miles or 1 year I will change the oil again.

Either way, since I have already passed my 600 miles, and doubt I will hit 9900 miles during this ryding season it is a remote point for me.

Another interesting point is on page 49 it states "
    after the break-in period, your vehicle should be inspected". This means (to me) that it is a suggestion, and not a requirement. Yet the dealers will say it is a requirement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 05-18-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    Rap rider, you have a 2016 with a 998? Uhhhhh?

The ST models never got the 1330 engine

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I did read my manual, and refer you to page 49 where it says "Operating During Break-In". It states "after the break-in period, your vehicle should be inspected as per the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE." Now you could say you do all of the first inspection without the oil change part at 600, but the owners manual does not say that. Either way, as for the amount of money I paid for my spyder I'll follow the manual where it says that at 600 you do the first inspection. Then when I go 9300 miles or 1 year I will change the oil again.

Either way, since I have already passed my 600 miles, and doubt I will hit 9900 miles during this ryding season it is a remote point for me.

Another interesting point is on page 49 it states "
    after the break-in period, your vehicle should be inspected". This means (to me) that it is a suggestion, and not a requirement. Yet the dealers will say it is a requirement.
    I quote from page 49 of your manual. "After the break-in period, your vehicle should be inspected as per the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE." I am sorry, but how can you interpret that to mean ignoring the Maintenance Schedule. Maybe it could be written better. Still the Maintenance Schedule says 3,000 mi. That statement says to follow the Schedule.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Interesting how this has gone from an informational thread to the usual nit-picking and disagreements.

BRP these days seems to always be lurking in the corners.

How about coming forth and giving the "True BRP" version of what is considered break-in, break-in service, and oil change/oil filter intervals on both the 990/998 twins, and 1330 triples.

The copy/paste method for manuals--IMO--has never worked well. The dealer mechanics and sales people mostly don't have a clue about the proper servicing.

I had an oil change plus battery, plus brakes service on my 14 this week. The 2014 is now leaking oil like a sieve, they did not have a transmission filter in stock, and it took them two days to perform a service that I had an appt. for a week in advance. So much for the "new" service advisor and the "new" factory trained mechanic. I for one, am slowly becoming disenchanted.

PS. There is now only one dealer in the whole state, so I am stuck.

Rant over.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-18-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    Just got that done. I need people opinion on the cost. I was charged $457 for this service. I was told there is $297 for labor and the rest for parts.
    A little stiff for my taste. Does that sound in line with other dealers? Just curious...
    I know it was unnecessary, but I had an oil and filter change (only) at 600 miles in an abundance of caution - cost $188.00 for everything. When I bought my Spyder, I negotiated for a free 3000 mile service as part of the deal.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I know it was unnecessary, but I had an oil and filter change (only) at 600 miles in an abundance of caution - cost $188.00 for everything. When I bought my Spyder, I negotiated for a free 3000 mile service as part of the deal.
    If that is your choice and you fully understand that it is early. Nothing wrong with that. Whether by misunderstanding or deception. If people believe that doing the first service before it is specified by the manufacturer is somehow required. That needs to be cleared up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If that is your choice and you fully understand that it is early. Nothing wrong with that. Whether by misunderstanding or deception. If people believe that doing the first service before it is specified by the manufacturer is somehow required. That needs to be cleared up.
    And...then the other side. When we bought our new 2011, 998/600 mile first service...picked up on a Friday, we put over 700 miles on it the first couple days. Made an appt. for "first service" on Monday. We had to wait a week. It got first service at a little over 1,500 miles. No issues or problems--still running good at 28K miles. Dealer also told us not to worry about it.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The dealer and owners manual for my ‘17 F3L says 3k for first oil change. So not only was it too expensive it was unnecessary. I’d go back and tell dealer he owes you a free oil change.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I quote from page 49 of your manual. "After the break-in period, your vehicle should be inspected as per the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE." I am sorry, but how can you interpret that to mean ignoring the Maintenance Schedule. Maybe it could be written better. Still the Maintenance Schedule says 3,000 mi. That statement says to follow the Schedule.
    After re-reading the book I'll give you that I was wrong on the details, but I'm still glad I did my 3,000 at 600.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold