Spyder Garage

Default F3 Clutch Assist Buyer Beware

The continuing story has an ending, the clutch assist for the SM6 F3 works. With the motor running the pull on the stiff clutch is reduced, but buyer beware as the hard to get BRP instructions are difficult to follow and poorly illustrated. It’s clearly known that BRP doesn’t support owner installation and the sharing of technology regarding the device. Also is the price of the pieces necessary to pull the system off. Mine came with a detective check value out of the bag and I still question if it’s necessary. BPR should install the parts on all SM6 at the factory to avoid folks like me causing hate and discontent. Again it works but what a pain to install.

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like it is a pain. Here is a movie

2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

We asked about this at the Homecoming last year with one of their techs. He told us that it was designed that way. He then said that it is a large engine and transmission. I told him that I have a 1800cc Valkyrie that has a clutch pull that is twice as light as the Spyder. He didn't have much to say.
    It is ridiculous that they would put out a product like that. There is no reason for the clutch to be so hard in the first place. Having to pay a butt load of cash to fix their problem is also ridiculous.
    With an attitude like that, it will kill them when another company comes out with another viable three wheeled bike.

Spyder Garage

Default some jobs are worth paying to have done

I paid the dealer for a hour's labor to have it installed. The total was under $400.00 parts and labor in California where labor is expensive. It was well worth the money. Yes the factory should have built a lighter clutch, but it's a minor failing with all the things that are right with the F3. It sounds like the factory has decided the heavy clutch was a mistake since they have essentially deleted it from the product line.

Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Assist video

i suspect the movie was produced by BRP to illustrate the difficulty of the installation to defer anyone else from attempting installation consequently sending you to their dealer for a quick buck. Just the mounting of the module is a nightmare. I got it done and it works, if anyone else or dealer installs the device, first open the package with the check valve and blow in the value according to the embossed arrow, if air doesn’t flow through it it is defective. $29.99 out of the box. I replaced mine with a $8.99 check value from auto zone. No codes yet, if you ride following installation and throw a P.O. 106 code it’s probably the Check valve. There isn’t a lot of information out there about the SM6 Clutch Assist, and others have sworn to not talk about it.