Spyder Garage

Default Trailer 2 Spyders?

I would like to trailer our two Spyders for selected rallies this year. We have an RT and F3. I want to rent as I don’t see using a trailer enough to purchase one. I’d prefer an open style vs. enclosed. I want to pull it with my 2004 Ram 2WD extended cab pickup. I do have an electric trailer brake connection along with the ball hitch.

Has anyone rented something like this for two Spyders? If so what? Loading and anchoring suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I would like to trailer our two Spyders for selected rallies this year. We have an RT and F3. I want to rent as I don’t see using a trailer enough to purchase one. I’d prefer an open style vs. enclosed. I want to pull it with my 2004 Ram 2WD extended cab pickup. I do have an electric trailer brake connection along with the ball hitch. Has anyone rented something like this for two Spyders? If so what? Loading and anchoring suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Rob
    Can I ask why you would even want to do this?
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Pete, there are a lot of reasons why people trailer to rallies. Some people physically can’t ride long distance, some don’t have enough time off and feel that they can make better time and drive longer with the bike in a trailer, some have spouses that don’t like long rides. Im just glad that he wants to attend rallies.

Rob, have you checked out the UHaul lineup? I think they have one that would fit two Spyders. One would likely need to be backed in.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default trailer

we trailered 2 RT's last year on our own trailer.
    but just as a reference we used a 16 foot open utility trailer and it was tight (but it worked). so if you rent one, I would recommend at least 18 foot. we used three ramps for loading 4 wheelers and used ratchet straps to tie the Spyders down to the trailer. worked like a champ, just a bit tight on the 16 footer.
    2016 RT Special Series

rear saddlebag LED lights
    Doc's belt tensioner
    underside LED lighting
    Baja Ron swaybar
    TricLED frt A-arm led's
    TricLed led front skid plate

Spyder Garage

No, you cannot ask. there are many reasons Spyder owners trailer their bikes. Health issues is a major one for the principal driver. And many women on the back saddle simply cannot withstand long riding distances. It is NOT a disgrace to trailer a Spyder to a destination and then ride the Spyder wherever.. shame on you for asking the question!!!!!!!!!!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Uhaul?

Spyder Ann, I've looked at the UHaul lineup and no open trailer seems long enough to me as the longest open trailer on their website is 6X12. I'll see what others have to say.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Rob, have you checked out the UHaul lineup? I think they have one that would fit two Spyders. One would likely need to be backed in.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    No, you cannot ask. there are many reasons Spyder owners trailer their bikes. Health issues is a major one for the principal driver. And many women on the back saddle simply cannot withstand long riding distances. It is NOT a disgrace to trailer a Spyder to a destination and then ride the Spyder wherever.. shame on you for asking the question!!!!!!!!!!! BIG F
    Wasn't asking you, actually. I never implied any of what you have said and that is not the intent of my question.

What happened to 'nicer in Nebraska'?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-09-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, there are a lot of reasons why people trailer to rallies. Some people physically can’t ride long distance, some don’t have enough time off and feel that they can make better time and drive longer with the bike in a trailer, some have spouses that don’t like long rides.
    I was thinking this may be a better solution than one big trailer;
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Let's go for a good solution to the OP's post. There are those that have very valid points for wanting to trailer a to rallies, etc. Let's cut them a break and solve the problem.

I am making one exception. Those that trailer their "garage queens" to Sturgis.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-09-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

http://www.tucsontrailercompany.com/rentals.html. They have what you’re looking for but they do charge a 6% upcharge if you haul out of the Southwest.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Let's go for a good solution to the OP's post. There are those that have very valid points for wanting to trailer a to rallies, etc. Let's cut them a break and solve the problem.
    That's what I was trying to do in asking the question. The solution depends on what the real problem is to be solved.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking this may be a better solution than one big-ass trailer;
    He has two Spyders and wants to rent.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

http://www.tucsontrailercompany.com/rentals.html. They have what you’re looking for but they do charge a 6% upcharge if you haul out of the Southwest.
    Just reread their page and the 6% surcharge applies to any rental that leaves Pima County.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He has two Spyders and wants to rent.
    Yep, got that. Thought it might be easier to rent and tow a smaller trailer than a big one.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Response to "Why"

Pete, we want to go to Spyderfest in Springfield but I teach at the Univ of AZ and can't possibly leave before the 3rd. We can't put that much time and days in the saddle of our Spyders to get there as soon as we need to so we may enjoy as many days there as possible. PS: We are both originally from Southern MO so we would like to have several quality days there. That's when I thought about a trailer as we can put more miles in my pickup per day than we can on the Spyders. In thinking of this we thought of other places we would like to go, but don't want to take so many days going and coming. I also don't want a trailer sitting around that doesn't get used much.

Rob

That's what I was trying to do in asking the question. The solution depends on what the real problem is to be solved.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2-5/16" ball and surge brakes and fold-up ramp

83" x 18' Utility Rental Trailer w/Fold-Up Ramps
    $60 Daily | $300 Weekly | $120 Weekend

Rental trailers are restricted to the following states: Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. There is a 6% surcharge added to rentals traveling outside of Pima County.

So, no dice if he wants to go to rallies in the eastern part of the US.

That's why I was trying to better understand his situation and needs....
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-09-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking it might be easier to find and tow a one-Spyder trailer than one of those huge, heavy 18-footers. Since he has a full-size pickup, it might be a viable option for him to get this for his truck and then on the rare occasion he needs to haul two Spyders to distant rallies, he could borrow or rent one of the light-weight aluminum trailers that are much more plentiful and easier to deal with.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, we want to go to Spyderfest in Springfield but I teach at the Univ of AZ and can't possibly leave before the 3rd. We can't put that much time and days in the saddle of our Spyders to get there as soon as we need to so we may enjoy as many days there as possible. PS: We are both originally from Southern MO so we would like to have several quality days there. That's when I thought about a trailer as we can put more miles in my pickup per day than we can on the Spyders. In thinking of this we thought of other places we would like to go, but don't want to take so many days going and coming. I also don't want a trailer sitting around that doesn't get used much. Rob
    Hi Rob, now I understand why you're looking for a one-time solution to a one-time situation. Thanks. I guess we'll see you in Tombstone this coming weekend.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete, I look forward to meeting you in Tombstone. BTW, I don't see this as a one-time solution, but something that will not be used more than once or twice a year. I like the pickup loader solution you provided and will investigate it in more detail. I'm also going to do some measuring to see if there is any way to stager load two spyders so they fit on something I can rent.

Rob

Hi Rob, now I understand why you're looking for a one-time solution to a one-time situation. Thanks. I guess we'll see you in Tombstone this coming weekend.

Spyder Garage

I wonder if that is due to insurance... or I also wonder if they only care if you want to return it somewhere else... like if you rented and returned at the same place even if you traveled to MO, would they care as long as if was returned to the same spot.

2-5/16" ball and surge brakes and fold-up ramp

83" x 18' Utility Rental Trailer w/Fold-Up Ramps
    $60 Daily | $300 Weekly | $120 Weekend

Rental trailers are restricted to the following states: Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. There is a 6% surcharge added to rentals traveling outside of Pima County.

So, no dice if he wants to go to rallies in the eastern part of the US.

That's why I was trying to better understand his situation and needs....
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Can I disagree....?

Quote Originally Posted by smoof View Post
    we trailered 2 RT's last year on our own trailer.
    but just as a reference we used a 16 foot open utility trailer and it was tight (but it worked). so if you rent one, I would recommend at least 18 foot. we used three ramps for loading 4 wheelers and used ratchet straps to tie the Spyders down to the trailer. worked like a champ, just a bit tight on the 16 footer.
    .... my signature picture is a 7'6" wide by 20' long. (floor size, overall it is 8' wide, 24' long) 4 Spyders.... so i don't understand that it was tight on a 16' trailer....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob, what did you end up doing?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default We rode our Spyders

Pete, I had so much trouble trying to rent a trailer that we rode both of our spyders (3252 miles) to Spyderfest and back. We were gone two weeks in total with 3 days going and 3 days coming back. The ride was tough with SW winds, but we had a wonderful time in the Ozarks. We are both from that area, but have not been back for 40 years. We caught up with old friends and did country rides in southern MO and northern AK. We also spent too much money on our Spyders for Elka shocks, sheepskins, LED fog lights for Jacque's F3S, etc.

The trailer challenge was all of the Tucson locations that rent trailers in the 16 foot length will only rent to one adjoining state. I didn't want to lie. I'm now looking at trailering options to purchase. I'm considering standard trailers like I looked at, and products like the Rampage Power Lift for pickups.

Rob

Rob, what did you end up doing?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, I had so much trouble trying to rent a trailer that we rode both of our spyders (3252 miles) to Spyderfest and back. We were gone two weeks in total with 3 days going and 3 days coming back. The ride was tough with SW winds, but we had a wonderful time in the Ozarks. We are both from that area, but have not been back for 40 years. We caught up with old friends and did country rides in southern MO and northern AK. We also spent too much money on our Spyders for Elka shocks, sheepskins, LED fog lights for Jacque's F3S, etc.

The trailer challenge was all of the Tucson locations that rent trailers in the 16 foot length will only rent to one adjoining state. I didn't want to lie. I'm now looking at trailering options to purchase. I'm considering standard trailers like I looked at, and products like the Rampage Power Lift for pickups.

Rob
    Rob, glad you had a good trip.

Didn't you say at one time that you had limited space for a trailer? If so, a smaller trailer for one Spyder and the Rampage for the other might be the most pragmatic way to accomplish your goals.

BTW, you don't have to regret upgrades to the Spyders. Do report back on what difference, if any, they make to your riding pleasure (different thread maybe).

I hope to meet up with you both again. Tombstone 2019 maybe?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfest+

Pete, I don't really have limited space as I have 4 acres. However, I am limited in covered storage for something as large as a 16 foot trailer. I also don't want to have something like this, keep it outside, and then not use it much. This being said I've discovered that used ones seems to sell immediately, so buying one and then deciding to sell it likely won't be a problem.

I did report, in a separate thread, the benefits of the Elkas on the front of my RT. The front now seems to stick to the road and curves are more of an arch with little to no steering. Probably the best upgrade I've done to my Spyder. The custom sheepskins add comfort and will be much cooler in Tucson summer. Lamont's LED kit for Jacque's F3 was an easy install and very high quality. She also got his replacement gas cap assembly for her F3. Particularly in hot weather she finds closing her gas cap difficult. That's become a piece of cake with Lamont's solution. She loves it.

I hope to meet up with you again as well. You're always welcome to Tucson.

Rob

Rob, glad you had a good trip.

Didn't you say at one time that you had limited space for a trailer? If so, a smaller trailer for one Spyder and the Rampage for the other might be the most pragmatic way to accomplish your goals.

BTW, you don't have to regret upgrades to the Spyders. Do report back on what difference, if any, they make to your riding pleasure (different thread maybe).

I hope to meet up with you both again. Tombstone 2019 maybe?