Spyder Garage

Default Computerized control systems

What are the names of the computerized control systems and what do they do on the Can-Am Spyder?
    I am showing off my bike this Saturday at an open house and talking to people, I would like to be able to tell people about the Spyder and its safety features. I have e-mailed a BRP tech, didn't get an answer back.

HELP!!!! Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Consider downloading and printing and studying the 2018 Brochure at
    https://can-am.brp.com/content/dam/c...it_MY18_En.pdf

But you're thinking of Stability Control System, Traction Control System, Anti-locking Brake System, Dynamic Power Steering, The '18's have the new Advanced Digital Dash System.
    The Short version is
    STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM
    The stability control system assesses your intended direction and determines the right response, applying the brakes to the wheels individually and/or reducing excess engine
    torque until you regain control.

TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
    It detects excessive rear wheel spin (e.g. in slippery conditions) and provides better grip for a more confident ride by regulating engine ignition and fuel injection, and reducing
    engine torque.

ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)
    ABS monitors each wheel’s rotation independently and reduces brake pressure to any wheel at risk of locking. Combined with Brembo† brakes, it delivers maximum braking
    performance.

DYNAMIC POWER STEERING
    The electronically controlled power steering system varies the amount of assistance depending on your vehicle’s speed, making it
    easier than ever for you to maneuver and steer

PS. 20 year Retired USAF vet here. 1980 - 2000 Golden years, though I love my retirement.....
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-10-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

You mean the acronyms like these:
    VSS = Vehicle Stabilty System
    EBD = Electronic Brakeforce Distribution
    ABS = Anti-lock Brake System
    DPS = Dynamic Power Steering
    ECU = Engine Control Unit
    TCU = Transmission Control Unit
    GPS = Gear Position Sensor - unless you are talking navigation not Bike Control Modules, in which case
    GPS = Global Positioning System

And then there's the Yaw Sensor to detect side to side instabilities & Traction Control to prevent Drive-Wheel Spin..... well, that's all that come readily to mind, anything I missed??

Is that the sorta stuff you are after?

Edit: bugga, shoulda typed faster!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, Nah, you added some great Spyder Acronyms.. US USAF guys love acronyms. The OP (sounds like a Warthog driver maybe) will likely mix both our posts for his thing Saturday.
    Methinks he's given me an idea for a little handout to have along for the ride.

Let's see, ECU Engine Control Unit, adjusts fuel/air mixture, timing, what else for proper engine performance (I'm sure there's a BRP approved blurb for each of the Acronyms besides the Big Ones (VSS, EBD, DPS, TCS, ABS though I think most of these are tied / integrated together).

Air Ride System on some RT models.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-10-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Yes!!!! That's what I needed to know, I will print them out and take them with me. By the way, I am retired Air Force, Ground Support equipment for A7s and one year for A10 Warthogs. Then went to the radar electronics side for the rest of the time I was in.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

The SCS braking control system, does not apply pressure on its own, it routes the portion of pressure applied by your foot through solenoids to the proper Brake pad. Is this a correct statement?
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    What are the names of the computerized control systems and what do they do on the Can-Am Spyder?
    I am showing off my bike this Saturday at an open house and talking to people, I would like to be able to tell people about the Spyder and its safety features. I have e-mailed a BRP tech, didn't get an answer back.

HELP!!!! Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
    It's actually fairly complicated and a little much to try to explain clearly in a few forum messages. I suggest you go to canammanuals.com and buy a copy of the service manual. It's only about $30 and you'll want/need it as soon as you start doing any work on the bike. The two sections in the manual you will want to review for your show and discussion of the computerized controls are in the sections Vehicle Stability System and Controller Area Network.

As far as the SCS, the VSS controls it and it will apply brake pressure if commanded to by the VSS. The VSS, or Nanny as we call it, will throttle back the engine and if needed apply brake pressure if it senses too much lean in a fast tight corner. I tell people that I'm not going to say it's impossible to roll a Spyder, but it is very difficult to do it because of Nanny. I don't believe there have been any reports of Spyders rolling over except if they ran off the road or were hit by a car.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Open House!

WELL!!! I spent 8 hours Friday detailing the spyder. Saturday, Mary and I had a BLAST at the Dirty Deeds Powersports open house in Longview TX.

Once people found out that I was the owner of the spyder and not a salesmen they opened up and asked lots of questions. I answered them the best I could, One individual, was not quite sure he wanted a spyder, after discussing the information yall gave me with him, he headed in to talk to a salesmen. Many spyder owners didn't know a lot about the NANNY, I explained what I could and told them to research the VSS system.

I was REALLY amazed at how many spyder owners did not know what farkles were available and where to get them. A few spyder riders were surprised at some of the farkles I had. Not in any order, the 5 most talked about Items were:

1 The Ultimate Tall Boy seat. Most had seen the Ultimate site and like them, but that was a lot of money to spend without trying one on. I think Ultimate may be getting a few orders.

2 The LED Marker lights that I had installed on the fenders and sides. I also told them of other lights that were offered.

3 The Flag Holders Mounted on the Rear Trunk. People liked them ALOT.

4 The TricLED Wide-Vu Mirrors, people loved the wider view they could see behind them. Hope TricLED has a few left!

5 The Woodgrain Dash and Glove box kit from Wrap My Spyder was a big hit. I explained the woodgrain was only one of may choices that were available.

We enjoyed our time talking to people, hopefully we helped people know a little more about spyders and how to make it more comfortable.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Kudos, Great Ambassadorship there! Glad we could all help.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You mean the acronyms like these:
    VSS = Vehicle Stabilty System
    EBD = Electronic Brakeforce Distribution
    ABS = Anti-lock Brake System
    DPS = Dynamic Power Steering
    ECU = Engine Control Unit
    TCU = Transmission Control Unit
    GPS = Gear Position Sensor - unless you are talking navigation not Bike Control Modules, in which case
    GPS = Global Positioning System
    ...And you'll be SOL if any of them go AWOL: PDQ!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember, the original question was Computerized Control SYSTEMS. This is different from a SENSOR. For example, GPS (gear position sensor) is just that, a sensor, not a system. It informs the Transmission Control Unit, a computer system (as well as other sensors such as for throttle position, rpm & mph) for the computer system to do its overall thing. Each computer system has one or more sensors feeding constant information to it.

Just a nit...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl