Spyder Garage

Default Ipod for an RT LTD

Hi, I'm looking for a used Ipod for my RT. I don't want to spend a fortune. If I look on Ebay what shoud I look/not look for? I have the connector to hook it up in the trunk. It will work thru the radio controls, right. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for a used Ipod for my RT. I don't want to spend a fortune. If I look on Ebay what shoud I look/not look for? I have the connector to hook it up in the trunk. It will work thru the radio controls, right. Thanks, Mike
    You have to go thru the menu and use the "AUX" setting. You should be able to use the SEARCH, SKIP, and VOLUME functions with an I- pod. With a MP3 player, you can only use the VOLUME function. You also have to turn the MP3 off by it's own controls and not the bike's audio controls. With a I-pod, you can use the bike's audio controls to turn it OFF. That's my experience with the technology anyways. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in that have way more experience than myself. Good luck! Mac
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 05-15-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Well it's just a matter of how much music you want to carry? Ebay is fine but the iPods & IPhones, can be found used at reasonable price, pawn shops, & now game stores
    (game exchange, game stop & others) looking for generation 2-4 generally, They have the 30pin connection that is on the spyder cord, the gen5 & up have the lightning connection that will require an adapter, the adapter does allow the same controls just adds more connections that can come loose. (so far the less fault 30pin to lightning is made by Apple)
    Some have Velcro the iPod or phone to somewhere secure & just in reach of the cord. Careful to not snag it on items coming in & out of frunk or trunk wherever you mount it. I personally just use an old iPhone I had after I upgraded. I did have 1 iPod failIMG_8245.jpg it has the right 30pin but the software as up to date as it can get will NOT talk to spyder thanks to Finless here is a handy tutorial what you can do with a working IPod/Iphone

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I got an iPod on Ebay cheap. I looked for one that worked, but had scratches. The scratches made in less expensive. If it's in the trunk, who cares about the scratches?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Refer to page 40 of your Owners Manual. It has a list of Apple devices that will work with the connector you hav for full control of said device from the left handlebar.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 Rt and have used a Ipod Nano with the 30 pin connector with no problems. I purchased the Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter and currently use an old iphone 5 in the same manner. The RT reads the iphone just as it did the ipod nano. You can pick up an older ipod touch on Ebay for twenty to thirty bucks and it will work same.

Spyder Garage

I only question the use of any i-pod or MP3 device in that i just use a 16gig usb thumb drive. I currently have over 1800 songs on it, and use the bike's controls to move through songs if I want too. Also all the music info (i.e. name of song, artist etc) is displayed on the dash. Is there a benifit to upgrading to a MP3 device?

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

for me i need blue tooth connectivity so I can stream it through my helmet on the sena system

Spyder Garage

Craigslist or even the marketplace on facebook has them also.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    for me i need blue tooth connectivity so I can stream it through my helmet on the sena system
    I do use a SM10 in the trunk.

I see your in Bellevue, are you going to the trike show in Mt. Vernon on June 2? If so, see you there.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I do use a SM10 in the trunk.

I see your in Bellevue, are you going to the trike show in Mt. Vernon on June 2? If so, see you there.

I didn't even know about it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I didn't even know about it

Hosted by and at "Lifestyles Honda" in Mt. Vernon for "Pacific NW Spyder & Trike Ryders" I believe it's 10 - 4 on June 2

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Well it's just a matter of how much music you want to carry? Ebay is fine but the iPods & IPhones, can be found used at reasonable price, pawn shops, & now game stores (game exchange, game stop & others) looking for generation 2-4 generally, They have the 30pin connection that is on the spyder cord, the gen5 & up have the lightning connection that will require an adapter, the adapter does allow the same controls just adds more connections that can come loose. (so far the less fault 30pin to lightning is made by Apple) Some have Velcro the iPod or phone to somewhere secure & just in reach of the cord. Careful to not snag it on items coming in & out of frunk or trunk wherever you mount it. I personally just use an old iPhone I had after I upgraded. I did have 1 iPod fail it has the right 30pin but the software as up to date as it can get will NOT talk to spyder

thanks to Finless here is a handy tutorial what you can do with a working IPod/Iphone
    Very helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-15-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Thumb drive ?

I only question the use of any i-pod or MP3 device in that i just use a 16gig usb thumb drive. I currently have over 1800 songs on it, and use the bike's controls to move through songs if I want too. Also all the music info (i.e. name of song, artist etc) is displayed on the dash. Is there a benifit to upgrading to a MP3 device?

Ray
    Ray,

What format is your thumbdrive?
    PC or IOS?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhitman View Post
    Ray,

PC or IOS?

PC, loaded it on my laptop

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhitman View Post
    Ray,

PC or IOS?
    I thought only IPODs could use all the audio controls. My jump drive wont let me use the audio controls unless I dn know how
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I thought only IPODs could use all the audio controls. My jump drive wont let me use the audio controls unless I dn know how
    I didn't do anything special, I loaded a 16gig usb stick with songs and plugged it in the back in the trunk

IMG_3959.jpg

And the music plays through the stereo,

IMG_3960.jpg

I do believe i had to toggle to the USB on the dash, but that was a couple years ago. I don't use the radio on the bike, so i haven't changed it since I set it up.

edit: I do have all the sings in only one folder, I do not know if that matters or not. The songs play alphabetical by song title

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I didn't do anything special, I loaded a 16gig usb stick with songs and plugged it in the back in the trunk

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

I do believe i had to toggle to the USB on the dash, but that was a couple years ago. I don't use the radio on the bike, so i haven't changed it since I set it up.

edit: I do have all the sings in only one folder, I do not know if that matters or not. The songs play alphabetical by song title
    It looks like you used a ?? pin cable to a usb on the right side of the trunk. Where did you get that cable? I'm plugging my jump into the usb directly and it does nothing. Do you use the AUX setting on the bikes screen? I have downloaded music to a memory card in my Zumo 660LM and it plays but only one song over and over. I have not figured out why. I have to manually choose a new song to play a diff one and then it plays that song over and over
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Sent you a PM.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It looks like you used a ?? pin cable to a usb on the right side of the trunk. Where did you get that cable? I'm plugging my jump into the usb directly and it does nothing. Do you use the AUX setting on the bikes screen? I have downloaded music to a memory card in my Zumo 660LM and it plays but only one song over and over. I have not figured out why. I have to manually choose a new song to play a diff one and then it plays that song over and over

The cable is the stock one in the trunk of my RT-S, I simply added a cable holder to keep it up against the back wall of the trunk. I honestly didn't do anything special, formatted the USB on my laptop, plugged it in, and set the screen to USB. It works great.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I was disappointed with the audio included with my 2017 RT-S. You'd think BRP could have included bluetooth capability but nooooo ... I'm also disappointed that my wife and I can't just plug our headsets into the Spyder for unlimited intercom capability like my friend and his wife have on their Harley. We can work around both issues with a Sena and an iPhone but it's still disappointing that we have to use outside equipment to do so, especially for the price BRP charges.

At first, when I found out my RT-S could at least play songs from an iPod, I wanted to get one. But then I remembered that without bluetooth, the music would only play through the speakers, and I don't see how anyone can hear music from the speakers while riding, at least not enjoyably so and certainly not at 70 mph with a helmet on. So, I looked into getting the accessory bluetooth dongle so I could then send the music into my bluetooth headset in my helmet. Well, that would work, but now we are talking quite a bit of money for an old iPod and a dongle, not to mention time and trouble to set it up. And for what? I can play music on my Bluetooth headset through my iPhone, so why bother with any of this? And with the right mount, the iPhone can also show a map and give directions. And since most bluetooth headsets have FM in them as well, it seems to me that that solves the whole problem.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

IMG_3959.jpg

Is that a 7 pin cable to usb using the 7 pin female on the right

IMG_3960.jpg

Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

This is the cable that came with the bike. So I didn't add anything.

I simply added a holder to keep it off held to the back.

IMG_3968.jpg

The top wires through the back are for the SM10 where I re-routed them from when they were installed in the frunk by the dealer. The lower ones are the stock ones that came with the bike.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light