Spyder Garage

Default screen brightness zumo 660

The screen brightness on my Zumo 660 does not seem too bright and I have it set as bright as it will go. I can hardly see it in the sun. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Somebody on this forum has used a shade that uses Velcro on the top of the GPS. You can search under GPS shade at the top of the screen in the search engine. I have the same issue with mine at times. Mac

Spyder Garage

I use a soft sun shield from Glare Stomper as it will fold up reducing the amount of space to store it when off the Spyder.
    Is it perfect - no, but it does help.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you select night screen as a default on this model? I found it worked well in the sun on one gps...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    Somebody on this forum has used a shade that uses Velcro on the top of the GPS. You can search under GPS shade at the top of the screen in the search engine. I have the same issue with mine at times. Mac
    I have one of these shades. It sure helps but not 100%. There are several brands of shades.

https://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=gps+sun+shade+for+motorcycle&s_it=img-ans&v_t=loki-ws#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.morrisonmotomounts.c om%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F12%2Fnuvi660with320.jpg &action=click
    Last edited by Mr. White; 05-15-2018 at 07:15 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

This is one item that Garmin really does need to address. Their GPS units are reliable but outdated. They need to build some with modern display technology that can actually be read in the bright sun.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Robins Hoods: far better quality than the Glare-Stomper!
    But when the Sun is coming over your shoulder: nothing is going to help!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I use a soft sun shield from Glare Stomper as it will fold up reducing the amount of space to store it when off the Spyder.
    Is it perfect - no, but it does help.
    but the other problem is that the gps is mounted low and needs to be tilted upward for viewing by the rider, thus exacerbating the problem of glare. Some of us have relocated the gps to the top of the dash for this reason.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    They need to build some with modern display technology that can actually be read in the bright sun.
    And an example of a device where that has actually been accomplished would be.........what exactly ??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My RTL came with a GPS screen but it isn't very useful if the sun is overhead or behind you. I've just given up and pop the GPS off its mount (very easy) and use it as a hand-held when necessary. I might add that my riding takes place over a lifetime of territory covered so my use of the GPS is usually not needed.

Spyder Garage

Default GPS sun glare

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Robins Hoods: far better quality than the Glare-Stomper!
    But when the Sun is coming over your shoulder: nothing is going to help!
    I have Robinhood probably the best, has the largest top and side shade. Use 660 Zumo RAM mounted on left handle bar tilted far down as possible without blanking top of screen. All small GPS originally designed for car interiors where shading not a problem. Always wear dark clothes preferably black. Light or white clothes and sun will wipe out screen. The best way to guarantee GPS 100% screen wipe out is use $200+ BRP GPS center of handle bar mount looking up at you. Hope you have good audio route commands because screen is blank in sun light at any angle.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    I have Robinhood probably the best, has the largest top and side shade. Use 660 Zumo RAM mounted on left handle bar tilted far down as possible without blanking top of screen. All small GPS originally designed for car interiors where shading not a problem. Always wear dark clothes preferably black. Light or white clothes and sun will wipe out screen. The best way to guarantee GPS 100% screen wipe out is use $200+ BRP GPS center of handle bar mount looking up at you. Hope you have good audio route commands because screen is blank in sun light at any angle.
    I thought the 660 zumo was made for a bike. I have the triaxis bars with the brp mount so it is mounted in the center of the handlebars. I love the handlebars. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default zumo

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    The screen brightness on my Zumo 660 does not seem too bright and I have it set as bright as it will go. I can hardly see it in the sun. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike
    I find that if I wear light color gear the light reflexes off the gear and blots out the screen. Silver or gray is the worse. Not much you can do about it. I have sun shade on 660 it helps some.
    dave

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up High dash acc. mount.

Mounting the GPS ( I have the 660) UP high on the dash with a simple shade I made works great.If you haven't gotten the accessory mount (I made mine but JT sell one) that goes into the two holes high in the dash ---- it is certainly something to consider.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    And an example of a device where that has actually been accomplished would be.........what exactly ??
    The technology has been here for a long time. For example, I had a Furuno Chart plotter, depth sounder that actually became MORE vivid and visible in direct sunlight. You only need to look at marine products to find electronics designed to be used and seen in sunlight. I also have two Garmin hand held GPS units. One is model 76 and the other is a Venture Etrex. Both these become MORE visible in direct sunlight.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default 660 GPS

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Push the top on & off button bring it up turn vol or brightness.

id like to know how to get the display to show you your turn by turn so you can see if that is the route you want?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The technology has been here for a long time.
    Well then I guess they are building "some" with that technology included already.
    No reason to expect that all of the best technology will be found in ALL models.

It might just be a simple matter of running the display at less than max. brightness and contrast until a detector indicates that those settings need to be turned up.

Running the screen at absolute max. all the time would be hard on the battery and the display itself.
    For that reason, I suspect that the allowable max. settings available manually probably really aren't the absolute max. that could be obtained.

Spyder Garage

When LCD radar units first came out and started to replace CRT screens, the LCD color screens would wash out in the sun. So most at that time were not colored. That was about 25 years ago. Then, about 20 years ago, colored screens were improved to be sunlight visible. That is the standard used today. Except for our cell phones and BRP screens. I think BRP probably got the bid for our GPS units from the same guy that bid on the tires..... Garmin can and does do better. The fact that we cannot see the screen well has nothing to do with settings and everything to do with quality and technology.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 05-17-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Bought my RTL used last September. Finally got the GPS out today. The previous owner had put velcro on the sides and top. I could find no cover for it. Glad I saw this thread, going to look at the Robinhood.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

I like my RobinsHood. Yes, one may have to adjust the angle of the GPS when sun is behind you; no big deal. http://www.priushood.com/motorcycle-...umo-hoods.html.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S