Spyder Garage

Default 2008 RS manual Spyder noob replacing battery

Hello all, new owner of 2008 Spyder. Was riding around and while parking in garageI let go of clutch and it shut off while in reverse. I could not get it to start back up. It was really hot on front and side (is that normal). After 2 hours on tender I was able to turn on easy. I ordered a battery to be on the safe side but where is the ground wire?? I heard it's an issue if loose and I want to locate. I did search forum but could not get accurate description. Please help

Spyder Garage

Ricks,
    The 998 engine does throw out the heat, and if your header pipes under the plastic haven't been wrapped with high temp wrap, I suggest you do so. It will make a lot of difference on your leg. As far as the ground, there is a ground bolt under the seat, but the nut is not welded to the frame, and can be difficult to reach from underneath, but can be done. You may have to cut a wrench. Good luck.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

there is a positive and a negative connection under the seat for jumping if you have a dead battery. Now if you are replacing the battery you do that at the battery which resides on the let rear of the spyder under the rear side panel. you will have to remove the center panel to get at some bolts holding it in place as well as two push pins under the seat and some bolts under the rear wheel. you will find the battery on its side held in by a rubber strap. Disconnect the negative first then positive and re install positive first then negative..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ricks View Post
    Hello all, new owner of 2008 Spyder. Was riding around and while parking in garageI let go of clutch and it shut off while in reverse. I could not get it to start back up. It was really hot on front and side (is that normal). After 2 hours on tender I was able to turn on easy. I ordered a battery to be on the safe side but where is the ground wire?? I heard it's an issue if loose and I want to locate. I did search forum but could not get accurate description. Please help
    careful there is a junction on one lead that you can loose the backer nut into the bodywork and when you have everything loose add a battery tender plug and tie it off on the frame where you can easily plug in once in a while it will pay off in battery life and save you time and money
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    careful there is a junction on one lead that you can loose the backer nut into the bodywork and when you have everything loose add a battery tender plug and tie it off on the frame where you can easily plug in once in a while it will pay off in battery life and save you time and money
    Thank you all for your time battery ordered.