Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil analysis of Amsoil at 10,719 miles

Just got the lab results back for the oil I changed out a couple of weeks ago. They give me the green checkmark!

The oil I use is Amsoil 10w-40 Metric Motorcycle oil. I ran this oil for 10,719 miles with about 2/3 quart added at something like 8000 miles. I made one goof in the sample gathering. It wasn't until I had drained the oil and collected the sample that I saw the note on the submittal form that said to draw the sample within 30 minutes of shutting down the engine. I caught the oil as it was draining from the clutch cover drain, but I had not run the engine at all since putting the bike to bed last fall. I included a note about this on the submittal but the lab report makes no mention of this so I'm guessing not running the engine just before collecting the sample did not have a material effect on the results.

Much of the discussion here centers on the viscosity of the oil after a few thousand miles. It's interesting to note the lab reports the viscosity of my sample as 13.0 cST @ 100C. Compare that to the Amsoil tech data below where they list the new oil viscosity as 14.2 cST @ 100C.

Oil Analysis 001.jpg

Enlarged copy of diagnosis section.

Oil Analysis 001 diagnosis.jpg

Amsoil tech spec

Amsoil tech specs.jpg

Let the comments begin!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based upon the report: are you happy enough to continue using this oil?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Was that just an Annual Oil and filter change then? Getting ready for a whole new riding season? I'm running 6K on my 998 and the last change and check said I was still in the Green.
    BR filters and Castrol Power 1 5w/40 4T Synthetic.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL ADDED !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just got the lab results back for the oil I changed out a couple of weeks ago. They give me the green checkmark!

The oil I use is Amsoil 10w-40 Metric Motorcycle oil. I ran this oil for 10,719 miles with about 2/3 quart added at something like 8000 miles. I made one goof in the sample gathering. It wasn't until I had drained the oil and collected the sample that I saw the note on the submittal form that said to draw the sample within 30 minutes of shutting down the engine. I caught the oil as it was draining from the clutch cover drain, but I had not run the engine at all since putting the bike to bed last fall. I included a note about this on the submittal but the lab report makes no mention of this so I'm guessing not running the engine just before collecting the sample did not have a material effect on the results.

Much of the discussion here centers on the viscosity of the oil after a few thousand miles. It's interesting to note the lab reports the viscosity of my sample as 13.0 cST @ 100C. Compare that to the Amsoil tech data below where they list the new oil viscosity as 14.2 cST @ 100C.

Oil Analysis 001.jpg

Enlarged copy of diagnosis section.

Oil Analysis 001 diagnosis.jpg

Amsoil tech spec

Amsoil tech specs.jpg

Let the comments begin!!
    ....WOW - you have a 1330 engine and had to ADD 2/3 quart @ 8000, miles ......from all the comments on this Forum I can't remember reading anyone adding any amount of oil to the 1330 engine .... I know I never have...... I hope nothing is amiss with your engine ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    from all the comments on this Forum I can't remember reading anyone adding any amount of oil to the 1330 engine .... I know I never have...... I hope nothing is amiss with your engine ....... Mike
    The 8000 mileage number is somewhat of a guess since I didn't think to record it, but I do know I added less than a quart sometime in the last 1 or 2 thousand miles. Not very many owners go that long without changing! I'm thinking there have been some comments about oil level being a little low at the time of oil change, so naturally there wouldn't be any need to add oil. I believe it is not realistic to expect an engine to burn zero amount of oil. After all, the top ends of the cylinders have to have some lube and that's in the area of fire. It's possible, in my mind anyway, that the 9300 change interval is based partially on when the oil level drops to where more should be added.

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Was that just an Annual Oil and filter change then? Getting ready for a whole new riding season?
    This was a mileage change, a little overdue for 9300 miles! But yes, I did need to do before I started riding this season. The last change was last May and the one before that was June, 2016 so you could almost call it an annual change! Contrary to recommendation I've never let the calendar dictate when I change oil. I've run my ATV two and three years on one oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Based upon the report: are you happy enough to continue using this oil?
    I have exclusively used Amsoil in my car, pickup, bike, and ATV since 2005 and will continue to do so. I do use a cheaper oil in my lawn mower!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-14-2018 at 03:42 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default Oil analysis of Amsoil at 10,719 miles

As I have said previously; BRP is not going to have you run your oil longer than their testing show you will not have to worry about damage to your engine. They didn't pick 9300 miles or one year out of the air!!!! They didn't pick a number that would give them warrenty claims. You purchased this machine not just because you think it's cool; but also for the reduced maintence costs from the 998's. One of these days I will trade up to the triple; when I do I won't be wasting my time nor money changing the oil early!!!

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default you poor guys !

I really feel bad for you , oil questions , add oil change oil ---------- you see if you did like I do -------- work all the time not much time too ride , no worries of all the burnt oil problems ( I have had the cycle for about 2 years --- checking on mileage bought it with 5,418 miles on her ---- she now has 9943 whoooo weeeee buring up the highway folks ) I do like riding it though !

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know....

for running the test and letting us know. Amsoil is a good oil.. and we have a great supplier..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I run Mobil 1 4t racing oil(10w-40) in ours and I usually put 6k to 8k a season on and I tow a 250lb. trailer about 1/2 of that mileage, and I have never added a drop of oil in-between oil changes. Hope something isn't wrong with your machine. Mac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL USUAGE

The 8000 mileage number is somewhat of a guess since I didn't think to record it, but I do know I added less than a quart sometime in the last 1 or 2 thousand miles. Not very many owners go that long without changing! I'm thinking there have been some comments about oil level being a little low at the time of oil change, so naturally there wouldn't be any need to add oil. I believe it is not realistic to expect an engine to burn zero amount of oil. After all, the top ends of the cylinders have to have some lube and that's in the area of fire. It's possible, in my mind anyway, that the 9300 change interval is based partially on when the oil level drops to where more should be added......., my oil comment had nothing to do with what I expect from the Oil .... it had to with the Reality of what has been reported on this forum about the 1330 and normal oil usage !!! .....if your happy with having the ONLY 1330 that is an Oil Burner .... I'm fine with that ...... Mike

This was a mileage change, a little overdue for 9300 miles! But yes, I did need to do before I started riding this season. The last change was last May and the one before that was June, 2016 so you could almost call it an annual change! Contrary to recommendation I've never let the calendar dictate when I change oil. I've run my ATV two and three years on one oil change.

I have exclusively used Amsoil in my car, pickup, bike, and ATV since 2005 and will continue to do so. I do use a cheaper oil in my lawn mower!
    My reply is in red above ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I do not think you have a thing to worry about, the test came out fine, so what, you may have added a little oil!! I change mine this spring when the snow was still on the ground and had my first taste of that, a company makes a bike that holds a set amount of oil and will not take it all in on a complete dump, WTF, I say. You put all but the half qt in, then start the engine till it comes up to temp then check and top, can you build the tank just a little bigger to hold the full amount then go threw that? It just seems some time Can am should realize that all the people that buy these bikes are not going to bend over and take it in the shorts and go to them for the tires, oil changes, ect, and pay to much money for service that's done half ass! Ok, I am off my soap box, beat me guy's!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    My reply is in red above ....... Mike
    Maybe it's when he checked the oil---maybe he waited over an hour after he shut it down & 3/4 qt went back to the oil sump....
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I did my first 3000 mile oil change with Amsoil. Not happy with the performance. Ever since the change, the transmission shifts very hard at times.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No more than an oil change cost I can not imagine running any gasoline engine more than 6 or 7 thousand miles between oil changes. I use Valvoline motorcycle oil 10W-40 Synthetic and try to change it between 5 and 6 thousand miles. I know the manual says 9300 miles but I don't think BRP would cancel anybody's warranty for changing it early. I don't want to ever add oil and hope for no engine problems. I have never kept any motorcycle over 60,000 miles. I pay $50.57 for oil and oil filter and about 1 to 1-1/2 hours time. This is pretty cheap maintenance for a 25,000 to 30,000 dollar machine.
    Last edited by gerald37; 05-14-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default No matter...

Let the comments begin!!

No matter how many times you have your oil tested and post the results, somebody here will disagree with you. I've done the same as you and had both BRP oil and Amsoil tested. I've received the same results as you did with Amsoil and I'm sticking with Amsoil for the 9300 mi. recommended oil change. I think oil is the most hashed out subject on this site. Thanks for your test results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    No more than an oil change cost I can not imagine running any gasoline engine more than 6 or 7 thousand miles between oil changes.
    I know it's not the same because of shearing factors, but the factory recommended interval for the 1990 Acura I had was 15,000 miles, and that was before synthetics were an everyday off the shelf item! The interval for my 2005 Maxima and 2005 Titan are when I get around to it! That's usually somewhere between 7500 and 15,000 miles! They both run fine with more than 100,000 miles each!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I did my first 3000 mile oil change with Amsoil. Not happy with the performance. Ever since the change, the transmission shifts very hard at times.
    Interesting. The only time my Spyder clunks is putting it into 1 or R. Rest of the time it shifts smooth as silk.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I for one think that Amsoil is the best oil out there. I used, and sold it for years without any problems. But, they do not have an oil in the grade specified by BRP. It's not only me. The three dealers near me will only use the spec'd oil. They will use another oil if a bring it in. Bel-Ray, Spectro, and Shell make an oil in the range specified. I use the BRP oil and filter and change it once a year. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have run an analysis on the Mobil 1 Racing 4T Synthetic 10W40 at 8,600 miles and it was still good. So yes the new oils are great.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Oil psi is important

540 rat - has an informative blog about oil that I found to be very eye opening. I will post the link below and everyone can make up their own mind about his analysis of oil.

www.540ratblog.wordpress.com
    I wonder where that road goes?

Ness Custom Tour Victory Vision. (for sale)

V Strom DL 1000

Spyder Garage

I use Amsoil in all my cars and trucks and start running it at 20,000. When did you start in the Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    I use Amsoil in all my cars and trucks and start running it at 20,000. When did you start in the Spyder?
    First oil change, 934 miles. I bought it used with 600 miles and was getting ready for a long trip that would have put me way past the 3000 mile initial change so I opted to change early.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Just a quick interjection: It has been my observation that it doesn't matter what we ride, Honda, Victory or Spyder, oil type and change interval are ALWAYS a passionate discussion.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Default Re smooth shifts

Interesting. The only time my Spyder clunks is putting it into 1 or R. Rest of the time it shifts smooth as silk.
    Hi Mac please please educate us on your smooth shift formula what is your secret

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    Hi Mac please please educate us on your smooth shift formula what is your secret
    Nothing special. Just hold the throttle steady and gently tap the shift paddle. If I accelerate hard I will hear a clunk once in awhile when shifting.

2014 Copper RTS