Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Dash Software Update

Had the bike serviced Thursday and they did a software update. Genius Maps can now give me directions and I can enjoy my music without it locking up. FOBO is clear and readable compared to it being scrunched up. Rever still needs to be opened on the phone before opening it on the bike or it crashes BRP Connect. FM & Aux will still only play in the speakers but when you switch to bluetooth your phone music starts playing random songs even without it being plugged into the bike. The Stats have changed. I don't think I've done enough miles yet to see any real results. (I would also like to understand them).

Now if we could get Sirius XM and any music in the headset that would complete the bike.

Here are some pics.
    325B1ABF-A8B4-4021-BDC5-BA29E003EAEB.jpg AA2F3631-223A-488D-95AA-5DC28CA2B92E.jpg 5BEBC4DD-CAAE-4B64-9C5E-2D3600966097.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have not been reading all of the posts regarding the 2018 dash. So it was a surprise when I found out yesterday that FM and Aux are not available for BT to the helmet. Any idea from your dealer if BRP is trying to fix that?

Thanks for posting a picture of the version screen. Going to compare with mine to see if it was updated before I picked it up.

The UI seems a little more complicated than it needs to be. It should not have taken 20 minutes to figure out how to set a radio preset.

Also it is a hit or miss if my phone will BT pair. If it works once it should work everytime. Are you having any issues with that?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this update... It's time to give my Dealer a call!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Asking my dealer anything about this bike is just a waste of time because They really don’t know anything. I bug BRP even though all they do is tell me to talk to the dealer, I still bug them once a week by message and sometimes a phone call until they come up with a solution.

Once I’ve paired the phone it pairs every time. Resetting the phone, making sure it has up to date OS helps. I’ve read where the Androids have more problems pairing. I have the iPhone. I believe you have to have an iPhone 6 or newer. If your headset t is paired to the phone it won’t pair to the bike. I’ve found you can’t pair to both bike and phone at the same time.

The FM/Aux is pretty loud but with a full face closed and on the freeway, you can’t heat it much so, ya, I’d like it in the headset. Although the Sena headset does have FM.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 05-15-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

My headset will pair to the dash everytime without fail. My phone will pair to my Ram and house handsets everytime without fail. To the Spyder dash not so much. When it fails my phone will say it is connected and the Spyder says it is not. Manual request to pair will fail everytime. Shut the Spyder down and start over will often work.

Same as you. The speakers sound great when parked. At road speed can't hear anything.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    My headset will pair to the dash everytime without fail. My phone will pair to my Ram and house handsets everytime without fail. To the Spyder dash not so much. When it fails my phone will say it is connected and the Spyder says it is not. Manual request to pair will fail everytime. Shut the Spyder down and start over will often work.

Same as you. The speakers sound great when parked. At road speed can't hear anything.
    You can’t have the phone paired to the headset AND the bike. One or the other, not both.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    You can’t have the phone paired to the headset AND the bike. One or the other, not both.
    It's not. Bike only. All pairings cleared before I started.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have found the radio to sound very loud even on the highway but with the helmet closed and the face shield almost closed I find its harder to hear. The radio can get quite loud though.

Bluetooth pairing is still a quirky thing and playing with it with no other live BT, sometimes trying a few times. Hopefully the software update will help.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I am also with you on that, on the highway i can turn the volume near the end and still can not hear anything.

What head set are people using ,as there is no place to plug in a wired set .

Dealer did the update before i picked up the bike.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    What head set are people using ,as there is no place to plug in a wired set ..

I’ve used Uclear and Sena with no problems. I’ve heard Shuberth BT helmets won’t work. So far I’ve decided you need to have the newest devices with the latest firmware or there will be problems. The ‘18s come with BT so there is no cable.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Had the 12.2 update done at dealer yesterday and notice the improvements already. I will try Genius Maps next time out. My phone and both Sena 30K units pair up perfectly every time. Music stored in my phone plays great and sounds great in headsets. One thing to keep in mind is if your phone will not pair up after the upgrade, dealer may have to install again a second time (happened to me).

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn’t even think about having to pair headset or phone after the update. Got on the bike and got going. I did fine the stats were changed but until I reset them they were stuck. Now that I’ve reset the two trip meters and main mileage that the statistics change while I’m going down the road. Give me average mpg and all.

Ive found the Genius maps give directions and my music plays but it does fail and I can even get music from the FM. FOBO looks much better but Rever still crashes BRP Connect so I have to start it a pause it on then phone.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Since some folks mentioned Genius Maps here, I thought I'd ask this question: has anyone been able to adjust the navigation voice volume when using the bike's speakers? The navigation works for me, so that's great, but it blasts the directions so loudly that people in nearby cars can probably hear the instructions. Shawn Smoaks said that I should be able to modulate the volume by going to the main screen (not the map screen) that displays the BRP Connect apps and then adjusting the volume there. But that hasn't worked when I tried it. What am I missing? I think I have latest dash updates, fwiw.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Genius maps has a volume control in the App. On your phone, open genius maps and on the map screen you will see icons on bottom of page. One icon is a speaker. Hit that and volume control will appear. Strange thing is all comments I've seen here seem to say volume is too weak. Maybe this 12.2 update has fixed that (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRubin View Post
    Since some folks mentioned Genius Maps here, I thought I'd ask this question: has anyone been able to adjust the navigation voice volume when using the bike's speakers? The navigation works for me, so that's great, but it blasts the directions so loudly that people in nearby cars can probably hear the instructions. Shawn Smoaks said that I should be able to modulate the volume by going to the main screen (not the map screen) that displays the BRP Connect apps and then adjusting the volume there. But that hasn't worked when I tried it. What am I missing? I think I have latest dash updates, fwiw.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    Had the 12.2 update done at dealer yesterday and notice the improvements already. I will try Genius Maps next time out. My phone and both Sena 30K units pair up perfectly every time. Music stored in my phone plays great and sounds great in headsets. One thing to keep in mind is if your phone will not pair up after the upgrade, dealer may have to install again a second time (happened to me).
    Thanks for the post! Several q's as we have been having major issues on '18 F3 Ltd:

What phone are you using?
    Do you have your Sena 30K paired with your phone to run the app to control the 30K?

Thanks,
    Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Thanks for the post! Several q's as we have been having major issues on '18 F3 Ltd:

Do you have your Sena 30K paired with your phone to run the app to control the 30K?

Thanks,
    Wayne

Unfortunately you can’t have the headset paired to the phone AND to the bike. This is something Sena needs to look into and my questions to them haven't worked. All I can think of is pair headset to phone when you want to work the headset then remove the pairing when you get on the bike.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 06-26-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    Wayne
    My phone is Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and the 30K can be paired to only one unit, so I pair only to the Spyder and make any changes to the 30k by connecting to my computer. There is not much to control on the 30K once you have it configured the way you want, so pairing to phone is unnecessary IMHO.

Spyder Garage

I've given up on the bluetooth connection with the Spyders FM Radio... Not going to happen unless BMP does another firmware upgrade. I've paired my Cardo packtrack bold to my phone and then using the iheartradio app can listen to just about anything I want. The Cardo has 2 bluetooth channels and could pair to bike but don't use the maps very much. I can answer phone, listen to recorded music, or Radio stations using just the phone pairing. Works for me.

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Required?

I'm a 2017 owner that almost considered a 2018, so please excuse my ignorance as I don't know the 2018 Spyder well. Do you have to go to the dealer for software/firmware updates of the dash or do you have the option to update on your own (such as via a USB drive)?

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Unfortunately you can’t have the headset paired to the phone AND to the bike. This is something Sena needs to look into and my questions to them haven't worked. All I can think of is pair headset to phone when you want to work the headset then remove the pairing when you get on the bike.

Is this just a BRP problem? I currently have my 20s Evo paired to my phone and my 660 GPS. I was just wondering why I couldn't (don't have the 2018 spyder yet) pair the my phone like it is now and also to the bike instead of the 660 device.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depends on the technology the bike comes with. Currently neither the Spyder not the Goldwing will allow the headset to pair to both the phone and bike system.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting Discussion -- Seems BRP Missed Something

Bear in mind, I do not have a 2018 and have only looked at the new dash once a few weeks ago …. so, this may not make much sense.

Hubby has a 2016 Indian Roadmaster that has built in BT and this is what was done in their setup:
    • The BT environment has TWO items that can be set -- a DRIVER device and a HEADSET
    • The phone pairs to the DRIVER device
    • The Sena, or other BT device, pairs to the HEADSET (in my husbands case, we paired a J & M CB via their BT module interface).

Now back to the new dash on the Spyder:
    • I seem to recall there were also two locations where pairing was mentioned
    • One said PHONE
    • The other said HEADSET

So, you would pair the phone to the bike (to BRP connect) and then pair the headset using the dash interface as a headset.

Is my memory wrong? Did I just imagine it because I am so used to the Indian setup.

Feel free to correct … all the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on BRP Connect, Android Phone, and Sena 30K

BRP Connect, Android Cell Phone, and the Send 30K

After two months of frustration and really no help or insight from BRP, I put together this hack approach to getting BRP Connect to work with an Android-based cell phone and a bluetooth headset. BRP Customer Servicer had no information to share on BRP Connect, but rather stated to “…see your dealer…”. The several dealers I spoke to directly could not provide any input as apparently few people have tried or complained about it. Some YouTube videos are available using the Apple iPhone X as the smart phone. No where could I find keystroke data from BRP. Sena doesn’t officially support the BRP Connect app. The bottom line is I need to see if this is simple enough to use while riding and also test the robustness of the connections (we’ve had issues with the Sena 30K’s).

Here are the pieces which I connected together:

• BRP Connect(tm)
    • BRP Gauge Cluster
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 8 smart phone
    • Sena 30K headset
    • Google(tm) Maps (via cell phone data plan)
    • Genius Maps (stand-alone GPS)
    • Google(tm) Play Music (playing locally stored music)

• AccuWeather(tm), although allegedly compatible, hung up without ever opening. It was dropped due to it being a low priority for us.

This set up should result in:

• Cell Phone connection to the headset to make and take phone calls
    • Music audio from the phone to the headset
    • GPS access from the phone via the BRP Gauge Cluster
    • Taking pictures with the cell phone while attached to the BRP Gauge Cluster and then resuming BRP Connect (2 touches on the cell phone screen, all while the bike was turned on and the music was playing().

Known deficiencies are:

• FM radio and Auxiliary sound plays only though the Spyder speakers - limitation by the BRP Gauge Cluster
    • Potential issue with non-display of the cursor when first trying to use BRP Connect on the BRP Gauge Cluster; see below for hack solution
    • Some Genius Maps settings are not remembered after disconnecting from the system
    • Cell phone sound level will be reduced after a power-down disconnect

====================================

1. Setting up the cell phone - a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running Android 8.0.0
      1. Download and install the ‘Sena 30K’ app from the Google Play Store
      2. Download and install ‘BRP Connect’ from the Google Play Store
      3. Download and install Genius Maps (North American Trial version)
      4. Nice to do: created page on phone apps to co-locate all of the app links for ease of use
      5. Open Genius Map app and go through set up
        1. Allow Location
        2. Download Maps - they are large files so best to do from Wi-Fi connection
        3. Voice - download you choice of two voices
        4. Route Settings
          1. Turn “Off” ‘Departure’ and ‘Live Traffic’
          2. Selected ‘Unpaved Roads’ in Avoidance

5. (For reference, the Vehicle Connectivity is “North America Trial”)
        6. Live Traffic set to “Off”
        7. Distance/Time I changed to “Miles” and turned off the 24-hour clock format
        8. Select download to SD Card

6. Open Google Music Play and set up play locally stored music
      7. Open BRP Connect app (without connected to Spyder)
        1. Associate ‘Music’ function to ‘Google Play Music’ by touching on Music
        2. Touch on Genius Maps to ensure that app opens

1. First-time Pairing of Cell Phone to BRP Gauge Cluster
      1. Note: DO NOT yet plug into the Spyder connections yet!!
      2. BRP Gauge Cluster
        1. Home (push center of Joy Stick (JS))
        2. Settings (up/down on JS to get to Settings, then push right on JS
        3. Bluetooth
        4. Add Phone

3. Phone
        1. Settings —> Connections —> Bluetooth
          1. Touch the ‘Scan’ button if phone is not searching for BT devices

2. Touch ‘BRP Connect'
        3. Verify Security Code matches on BRP Gauge Cluster and the phone, touch “OK”

4. BRP Gauge Cluster
        1. Push JS right to select the Green Check mark
        2. Allow access from BRP to the cell phone data

1. Turn on System
      1. Unlock Phone
      2. Start the ‘BRP Connect’ app on the phone
      3. Plug the BRP Audio and USB cords into your cell phone
        1. You will need to provide Audio and USB extension cords, essential for taking pictures

4. Turn on the Spyder’s ignition switch
      5. Note: it will take 20 - 30 seconds for the bluetooth devices to connect
      6. While the system is connecting, increase the sound level on your phone to “Max” - you may need to override a safety warning about loud music and hearing damage
      7. Note: I had issues with the cursor on the BRP Gauge Cluster not showing until I cycled Out/In using the Home Button (tap twice) while the phone is plugged into the BRP Gauge Cluster

1. BRP Connect App, Cell Phone, and Sena 30K Headset
      1. Sena 30K Headset (Sec # refer to the Sena 30K Manual)
        1. Perform factory Reset on the headset (Sec 14.2)
        2. Delete pairing of headset to phone, if there is one, in Phone Bluetooth Settings
        3. Use the Sena 30K app on phone to complete pairing of Headset to Phone (Sec 4.1)
          1. Touch the Sena 30K headset and turn “Phone” and “Media” audio to “Off”
            1. This step is not documented in any technical manual

2. Result is to allow the phone to control the Sena 30K but not take calls between the headset and phone; that will come through BRP Connect

4. Pair Sena 30K headset to the BRP Dash Cluster (Sec 4.2, Second Phone)
          1. This will provide your cell phone connection via a headset: a HEADSET MUST must be connected for cell phone usage!

1. To take a picture via the cell phone camera while connected to the BRP Gauge Cluster
      1. Note: you’ll need long enough Audio and USB extension cables, and this only really is viable on the F3 models as the cable connections are in the dash
      2. Pick up the cell phone, leave cords attached
      3. Push the “Home” button on the phone’s Navigation Bar
      4. Turn on your Camera and take pictures
      5. Push the “Home” button once and select ‘BRP Connect’ app - the phone will immediately connect back to the BRP Gauge Cluster
      6. Alternatively, tap the “Recent” button and find the BRP Connect app and touch it.

1. BRP Connect Navigation buttons - not all-inclusive listing, just ones I stumbled onto
      1. Joy Stick (JS) left and hold for 2 sec - can be use to back up and close out of apps
        1. Worked in Google Play Music, Google Maps, and Genius Maps

2. Use BRP Connect button to toggle in/out of BRP Connect Apps
      3. Push JS Center - sometimes used to make selection if right/left or up/down don’t work
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

There is no way i will every get the blue tooth system to work ,just to old and cranky i guess . Why the h@ll can they not have a cord for us old farts and the blue tooth for those that want it ?
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

BRP Connect, Android Cell Phone, and the Send 30K

1. Plug the BRP Audio and USB cords into your cell phone
        1. You will need to provide Audio and USB extension cords, essential for taking pictures

Why are you plugging in the audio cord to your phone? There should be no need to do that. Mine does not anyway.

2018 F3 LIMITED