Spyder Garage

Default Possible air leak in airbag

This is far as I got today on the Spyder. Thankfully I have chain fall setup in my garage. If any of you ever thought about taking off the rear end of your Spyder it really is quite easy. 6 bolts and one ground strap, 2 plug connections, that's about it. Have to take seat off first. Hint on taking seat off. Take backrest off first this gives you alot more room to take remove the seat bolts. My son helped me take off the back section. Tomorrow i will soap the air bag down to try and find the air leak. Bruce.20180513_174147.jpg20180513_174239.jpg20180513_174147.jpg20180513_174239.jpg
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

My leak was in the pushlock elbow on the top of the bag. Not a good place to bury that type of a fitting IMO.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Question Was all this necessary ?

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    This is far as I got today on the Spyder. Thankfully I have chain fall setup in my garage. If any of you ever thought about taking off the rear end of your Spyder it really is quite easy. 6 bolts and one ground strap, 2 plug connections, that's about it. Have to take seat off first. Hint on taking seat off. Take backrest off first this gives you alot more room to take remove the seat bolts. My son helped me take off the back section. Tomorrow i will soap the air bag down to try and find the air leak. Bruce.20180513_174147.jpg20180513_174239.jpg20180513_174147.jpg20180513_174239.jpg
    Is all this necessary to replace a leaking air bag ? I have seen the airbag when I replaced the rear tire and had the belt cover off and the lower side cover off the other side. It looked like it could have removed at this stage of disassembly. Did you go to this extent of disassembly to be able to see where the leek is before you replace it ? I am proud of you for the courage to tackle this issue.

Spyder Garage

I always.wanted to remove the back section of the Spyder. It really is quite easy. I will find out more tonight where the leak might be. I hope. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

I found my air leaks. It was not the air bag. First culprit was the check valve, next it is the 90 degree elbow on air bag, then the connector out of air manifold going to the air bag. Will be ordering 2 sections of hose, check valve and both connectors. About $100.00 worth of parts. Bruce

elbowleak.jpg
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Just completed putting Spyder all back together. Also put on new rear.brakes and a.new tire. I am a happy camper. Here are the parts I replaced on the air suspension. Bruce20180518_214044.jpg20180518_214034.jpg
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Went out on test ride. I think I did good. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Kudo's to you!

Good Job and thanks for the follow-up.
    That's an amazing dis assembly and re assembly.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Possible Air Leak?

I have a 2015 RT Limited with 8500 miles. The air compressor cycles constantly, especially noticeable at a traffic light.
    Is this a known factory problem? Is there a better way to troubleshoot the problem without tearing the machine apart?
    Is there a likely problem area? Thanks for your input!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magnummac View Post
    I have a 2015 RT Limited with 8500 miles. The air compressor cycles constantly, especially noticeable at a traffic light.
    Is this a known factory problem? Is there a better way to troubleshoot the problem without tearing the machine apart?
    Is there a likely problem area? Thanks for your input!
    My 2014 RTS does the exact same thing...Already had 1 new compressor with 22,000 miles...I have NO leaks...I checked the air pressure when I parked it for the night and its within 5 pounds the next morning...

I'm thinking of reworking the air ride system next winter...Going to put a pressure gauge somewhere I can read it...and use the air ride switch to set the pressure I want...and disconnect the automatic leveling control that constantly exhaust the air with every movement of the bike...So basically it will be like the standard RT but I will use the onboard compressor to air it up to the pressure it want, rather than the valve under the seat...

Any RESPONSIBLE comment appreciated...larryd

Spyder Garage

I have the basic RT and I had a leak at the fitting on top of the airbag. I fixed it and installed a gauge. I only lose 1-2 lb a month now if that. Me thinks you have a leak somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I believe most of the bad air leaks are either from the 90 degree elbow attached to the airbag,(all RT's) and the check valve on the RTS, or RTL. One thing you can do is just unplug the air release solenoid. It is mounted on the frame right above the muffler. This way it will never bleed off air. You would have to use the Schrader valve. You also will have to unplug the ACS, switch.
    To get at the 90 degree connector it is a project. You have to remove air bag in order to remove connector. There is only 7 bolts to remove and 2 wire connectors to unplug and 2 screws to remove the whole back end of Spyder. Have to remove seat first. Wish you luck. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I believe most of the bad air leaks are either from the 90 degree elbow attached to the airbag,(all RT's) and the check valve on the RTS, or RTL. One thing you can do is just unplug the air release solenoid. It is mounted on the frame right above the muffler. This way it will never bleed off air. You would have to use the Schrader valve. You also will have to unplug the ACS, switch.
    To get at the 90 degree connector it is a project. You have to remove air bag in order to remove connector. There is only 7 bolts to remove and 2 wire connectors to unplug and 2 screws to remove the whole back end of Spyder. Have to remove seat first. Wish you luck. Bruce
    I ride two up 90% of the time. Is it possible the the system is forever trying to compensate? If so disabling the system would seem to be the correct move.
    You indicate disconnecting both the bleed solenoid and the ACS switch. An earlier response indicated, just the bleed valve. Leaving the ACS active risks over inflating?

Spyder Garage

Yes I believe it would. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Bruce, I'm doing this same process tomorrow, Did you happen to keep a parts breakdown of items purchased for the fittings and lines?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

No I did not. Let me know what parts you need and I can look them up for you. I will say this, the hose is about 1 meter in length. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Default No Parts needed, check valve stuck open

Safecracker, Thanks to your post I got the gumption up to pull my trunk on my '13, a little different than earlier models but pretty close, troubleshoot all the hoses and connections and darned if the check valve (706000831 ) wasn't stuck open. Air flowed both ways, even though the valve has directional arrow to show the flow path.

Cleaned it and lubed with WD-40, tested it and it held pressure, remounted it and am now impatiently waiting to see if there's any pressure loss.

Thanks Bruce and others for all the How to's, I watched a couple of vids to help as well, referring to Doc's Seat Removal vid,
    Ultimate Seat's Seat Removal vid (you never know when someone stresses something you need to see).
    I also referred to PJWeimer's post about ACS Rebuild Thanks, and then Grandpot linked to his Youtube Video
    Thanks to both of them for their thoughtful sharing that all helped me fix (I think) my leaking ACS.
    Last edited by AnthonyG; 12-04-2018 at 05:11 AM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

You are welcome.
    New to Sue and I
    Gone but not forgotten

Spyder Garage

Default Follow-up to leaking checkvalve on ACS compressor

24 hrs later and my once leaking ACS / Airbag system is now leak free. It was just the stuck open checkvalve. Cleaning it up and reassembling, hasn't lost a pound of air pressure.

Bruce, aka safecracker, Thank you so much for posting your process, mine ended up costing nothing but time and a little WD-40 to clean the checkvalve.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020