Spyder Garage

Default Highway 261 in SE Utah

Has anyone rode Highway 261 in Utah from 95 south to 163 on their Spyder?
    From what I understand it contains about 3 miles of gravel switchbacks called Moki Dugway, with several parts of the gravel section being a fairly steep climb - don't know the degree of ascent.
    Planning on incorporating that in a ride we are starting on Sunday, won't get to it until Tuesday, so any info from anyone who has already done that route would be greatly appreciated.

As always, riding 2-up on a 2016 RT, no trailer for now.

Thanks
    2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    Has anyone rode Highway 261 in Utah from 95 south to 163 on their Spyder? From what I understand it contains about 3 miles of gravel switchbacks called Moki Dugway, with several parts of the gravel section being a fairly steep climb - don't know the degree of ascent. Planning on incorporating that in a ride we are starting on Sunday, won't get to it until Tuesday, so any info from anyone who has already done that route would be greatly appreciated. As always, riding 2-up on a 2016 RT, no trailer for now. Thanks
    It's a good road . Take it easy and you will be fine.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone rode Highway 261 in Utah from 95 south to 163 on their Spyder?
    From what I understand it contains about 3 miles of gravel switchbacks called Moki Dugway, with several parts of the gravel section being a fairly steep climb - don't know the degree of ascent.
    For questions of this sort Google Maps with Street View and Satellite View are your friends! Take a look.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2727...!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.com/maps/place/UT-261,+Mexican+Hat,+UT+84531/@37.2728021,-109.938645,630m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x87376cf9cf92bab9:0x95e14 261d6c27d30!8m2!3d37.1951609!4d-109.8659213

Yep, there's gravel there!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Rode that section about 10 years ago on a Goldwing. It was fairly steep but not too bad. Several riders on 2 and 3 wheelers and the 3 wheelers had no concerns. Biggest issue for me was blind corners and little or no guard rails. I wanted to take my half of the road right down the middle. Should be no problem with the Spyder. Just go slow.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 05-11-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I just did some checking for the fun of it. The gravel section is 2.3 mile.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.2...e3!4m2!4m1!3e0 Click on Details if the route doesn't show up in blue right away.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

On our trip last year out west, bikes that consisted of 2 Harleys, one Indian and my Spyder, only the Indian and 1 of the Harleys traveled that rode. I didn't ride it cause I was afraid a rock would get into my belt. They told me later on after they rode it that there was a lot of loose gravel. So I was happy I made the decision I did.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I've done it many, many times in a car/suv & the blind corners can be worrisome. If I see motorcycles coming the opposite way to me I always stop until they have passed me. They are appreciative & always wave.

I would do it on my Spyder, but slowly.

Just at the top of the Moki Dugway on the left as you go up is a turning to Muley Point. It is a sandy road & can be very dusty. Maybe 2 miles long & more slabs of rock than sand as you approach the end. I've never seen a 2 or 3 wheeler on it but the views at the end are magnificent.

Enjoy your ride. I would love to do it on my Spyder but will have to imagine it instead.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I've done it many, many times in a car/suv & the blind corners can be worrisome. If I see motorcycles coming the opposite way to me I always stop until they have passed me. They are appreciative & always wave. I would do it on my Spyder, but slowly.

Just at the top of the Moki Dugway on the left as you go up is a turning to Muley Point. It is a sandy road & can be very dusty. Maybe 2 miles long & more slabs of rock than sand as you approach the end. I've never seen a 2 or 3 wheeler on it but the views at the end are magnificent.

Enjoy your ride. I would love to do it on my Spyder but will have to imagine it instead.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I've done it on 2 wheels. I don't think a Spyder would have any issues, provided you have Spyder Pop's missing belt guard. Without some additional rock/gravel protection it would worry me a little about the belt. Otherwise, no issues that I can think of.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Done it on two wheels and it was fun. Spyder should be a "piece of cake".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Done it on two wheels and it was fun. Spyder should be a "piece of cake". Jack
    Did you ever do the Shafer Trail near Moab, Jack?

Shafer Trail switchbacks.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You want switchbacks? We got ya covered!

Mogi Dugway;

Shafer Trail;
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've done Shafers in my truck, looking forward to doing it this fall on my dual sport.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Did you ever do the Shafer Trail near Moab, Jack?

Shafer Trail switchbacks.jpg
    As a matter of fact yes several times. Utah is my favorite state in the whole US to ride. A lot of single trail riding around Moab on dirt bikes but these old bones are starting to bark back at me. I have tamed my adventure riding now to a Can AM Maverick. Should be back in Moab in June after Hemet CA end of May.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I've done Shafers in my truck, looking forward to doing it this fall on my dual sport.
    I did it in my Xterra. I think it would have been better on a bike - even a Spyder. Couldn't see the edges from a cage...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the input on 261

Utah is my favorite state in the whole US to ride.

​Jack
    Thanks to all for their input on this road. We just returned from our Utah trip and I have to agree that it is one of the most beautiful states to ride. We chose not to head east toward 261 due to a change in the weather so from Bryce Canyon we went southwest to Hoover Dam via Lake Mead recreation area - what a beautiful ride and perfect weather. The Pat Tillman Memorial bridge was very impressive, at 900 feet above the Colorado River, it is the 2nd highest bridge in the U.S. and the world's highest concrete arch bridge.
    We did get a good dose of dirt road riding however as on the way home we took 73 south from Williams AZ through some beautiful forests but it turns into a very un-maintained dirt road that you either take for about 30 miles south to Jerome or turn west and head on 71 about 10 miles to highway 89.
    I would not recommend either route as we barely got out of 1st gear the majority of the time due to the condition of the road. We never met a single vehicle on the road - nice from that respect, but very rocky and open range country where you would not want to have a mechanical issue.

We decided we will take 261 early this summer on our 2nd trip up that way so looking forward to that.

On a secondary note, this is our first time my wife and Iare taking trips this early in the year since it's the first time we are both retired. We've done trips a dozen times in the summer months and this time (in May, middle of the week) we expected the crowds and prices to be less than usual. However we found the parks to be crowded (both Zion and Bryce) and motel prices to be higher than expected. Our summer trip from AZ to Nova Scotia that is coming up - I think we have to budget more dollars all the way around if this last trip is any indication of what we can expect.
    Thanks again.

2016 RT Limited - Red: Purchased from Pikes Peak Motorsports
    Dealer installed: TriAxis Bars;
    Self Installed: BahaRon SwayBar, Bumpskid, Corbin Armrests, Dave's BT Cable, ShowChrome Luggage Rack,Foam Grips
    Wishlist: Fox Shocks, Long Distance Seat, HID Headlights

Spyder Garage

On a secondary note, this is our first time my wife and Iare taking trips this early in the year since it's the first time we are both retired. We've done trips a dozen times in the summer months and this time (in May, middle of the week) we expected the crowds and prices to be less than usual. However we found the parks to be crowded (both Zion and Bryce) and motel prices to be higher than expected.
    The tourist season for all the parks and monuments in Utah and AZ starts about May 1 and ends about Sept 30. You either pre-plan months in advance or be willing to often lose the gamble for accommodations. A hotel manager in Flagstaff told me hotels run about 96% full in that time period.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

We drive around Utah most years in late Aug & Sept. This Aug the cost of the Holiday Inn Express in Moab has really shot up from previous visits. Being a cheapskate it has already taken some of the gloss off the upcoming visit to that beautiful area.

Wifey ( who deals with these things) says hotel prices in general in the southwest tourist areas are up a lot and we book in Dec/Jan, To compound it all our $ is down. GRRR.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    We drive around Utah most years in late Aug & Sept. This Aug the cost of the Holiday Inn Express in Moab has really shot up from previous visits. Being a cheapskate it has already taken some of the gloss off the upcoming visit to that beautiful area.

Wifey ( who deals with these things) says hotel prices in general in the southwest tourist areas are up a lot and we book in Dec/Jan, To compound it all our $ is down. GRRR.
    Yes I'm afraid that is true for the popular destinations. Seek out rural towns for accommodations and ride to the attractions. Or, just ignore the attractions altogether. The roads are the attraction.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We are finding that if you search you AirB&B you can often get a great room much cheaper then a motel.Also check the Mom & Pop motels,they are cheaper and can some times be bargained with. You know the older 1 story motels built in an "L" shape.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

As a matter of fact yes several times. Utah is my favorite state in the whole US to ride. A lot of single trail riding around Moab on dirt bikes but these old bones are starting to bark back at me. I have tamed my adventure riding now to a Can AM Maverick. Should be back in Moab in June after Hemet CA end of May.

​Jack
    Chicken Corners was one of my favorite rides in Moab, did it on my BMW F650gs.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    Chicken Corners was one of my favorite rides in Moab, did it on my BMW F650gs.
    I'm too chicken
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    We are finding that if you search you AirB&B you can often get a great room much cheaper then a motel.Also check the Mom & Pop motels,they are cheaper and can some times be bargained with. You know the older 1 story motels built in an "L" shape.
    We tour the west usually July-August for 4-5 weeks. Gets us out of the desert heat for a few weeks. Wife does all the motel booking. She always tries to book locally owned small motels with good, clean reviews. It is our way of doing a small part to contribute to the local economies we are visiting..... Local owners seem to be more accommodating. We like that.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi