Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder In My Future?

Refer to my post in "Off Topic" for back story.

Rode my RSS to the dealer I purchased it from to pick up a tail light bulb (R tail light bulb filament burnt out).

Walked out with a quote for a left over 2017 F3 S SM6, or new 2018 F3 S SM 6. Seriously, Flanker??!!

; you'd think I'd be over this immature lack of impulse control by now!

Oxford metallic blue caught my eye, though the dealership did not have any F3 Ss, or any F3 SM6s (of any sub model) in stock to try on for size. The salesman is checking around to see if another Spyder Dealership might have an Oxford Blue2017 F3 S SM 6 on their floor, and are willing to swap/give it to my dealership, as I'd like to take advantage of the current BRP 2017 rebate! If not----it's the 2018 option. The dealership offered a pretty good trade in value, but I may go the private sale route to try and squeeze a few more bucks outta the RSS (I'll post it in the For Sale Forum as well as an online seller).

Looking at the mini windshield, all black grill, #1 foot peg linkage kit (sport bike rider at heart still!), black Attitude bars, and sport fender for options (planning on either black chroming, or black spray wrapping all the shiny factory bits "n pieces; including the F wheels).

On to the "Fun Stuff"! Engine mods!

I'll leave the guts alone, as I have on my RSS, and go with a K & N, exhaust and fuel pack/Power Commander (if available) as that combo has served very well/reliably on my RSS. Here's where all you F3 S exhaust system, fuel pack/Power Commander R&D types come in.

My Two Brothers Racing RSS slip on is a first rate unit for fit and finish and ease of installation. It is TOO LOUD at cruise (even with the P1X Power Tip quieting module in place) for my tastes. I see from other F3 threads, a cat delete is a popular option with some noise increase (no surprise there), so what slip on exhaust can might offer a modest cruising exhaust note (I don't care if it's loud when I'm in the throttle---it's supposed to be!) in conjunction with the cat delete option?

The Akropovics ARE NOT options for me. They are as ugly as the stock exhaust can (looks like all of 'em were designed by disgraced refugees from the Pontiac Aztek design team! ).

I see TBR makes a slip on for the 2017 F3 S ( I assume it will fit an '18 as well), but am gun shy given my current experience with that brand, and HMF makes a similar "closed circuit (track only) slip on as well that looks good. Also, the only unit TBR seems to make now is a stainless steel can, though I've seen pictures of a carbon fiber can for early model F3s---anyone know what the story is with that issue?

So! Recommendations for:
    1. cat delete options,
    2. a modestly loud light weight exhaust can,
    3. fuel pack/Power Commander thingy?

TY!
    Last edited by Flanker; 05-11-2018 at 06:43 PM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Now that's what I call a comeback.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well...................K & N makes a filter for the F3 S, and DynoJet makes a PC V & self tuning module (darn near fainted when I saw MSRP on 'em though!). I wonder if I can get Red Green to come out of retirement and fab a printed circuit board for me?? That HMF can "looks" good........all carbon fiber; quite light.....just worried about sound level though. Maybe it'd be OK if I left the cat on?? Or, I could hum really loud as noise cancellation! Think I'll call 'em next week and kick the game around to see what they think.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

MEH!! Leftover 2017 is outta there; my dealer was only able to find one in the state, and that dealership won't deal (to another dealer) on it. 2018 it is! Just talked to the salesman yesterday; and told him what options I want (chopped R fender, SS grill, position one shift and brake linkage kit, black attitude bar, and spoiler windshield). Gotta pull an oil and filter change on my RSS and replace the floor mat portion of my custom R fender ; then get that rascal advertised!

Saw some 15" F wheels on one of our sponsor/advertiser websites I really like.................

Two Brother Racing makes a stainless can for the F3 S, and a larger carbon fiber can (likely to be the quieter of the two given the greater internal volume) for the F3 T...................I wonder if it'll fit, or if I can mod it to fit? Hhhhhhmmmmm??????? If it turns out to be quiet enough; I may run with a Lamonster cat delete pipe; if I think I can get it to work with the TBR can. We'll see..................

Spyder Garage

I'm sure you realize this but the F3 is never going to sound anywhere near as good as the V twin in the RSS. You would be better off going the reflashed ECU route. The F3 is awesome though and plenty quick. I don't regret making the switch from the RS. Post some pics up when you get yours.
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wheeler View Post
    I'm sure you realize this but the F3 is never going to sound anywhere near as good as the V twin in the RSS. You would be better off going the reflashed ECU route. The F3 is awesome though and plenty quick. I don't regret making the switch from the RS. Post some pics up when you get yours.
    Say it ain't so! I'm a long time sport bike guy, so there's nothing like the sound of a revving inline...............................well......... ...................three! Four would have been better!

Spyder Garage

Have you looked at the Sinister exhaust for the F3S? It does not look like any of the other Akropovic systems. Was designed specific for the F3S and does not fit the other F3 models. That with a primary bypass pipe is pretty aggressive sounding.

Add an ECU reflash and you will be grinning ear to ear as the revs climb over 8000.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

No arguing the Akropovics area a quality unit, and the ones I've listened to on Youtube have a real nice sound. Just can't get past their price and trapazoid design.

After a lot of "kick it" with Hypurone, and viewing numerous sound and how to install videos on the Tube, and talking with TBR and HFM; I'm, pretty well settled on another TBR slip on cat delete system (stainless can) with the P1X tip, and the universal "can opener" baffle stuffed in the mid pipe inlet to quiet it down further and, if the pundits are correct, restore any lost mid range/bottom end. I'll add on a K & N and BRP/Can Am has programmed the self tuning function in the ECU properly, so it'll get in step with the new kit after a few minutes of adjustment.

Otherwise there'll be a lot of on my part! Likely this winter I'll send the ECU off to St. Louis for strength training (aka reflash).

Spyder Garage

w00t! Scheduled to pick up my 2018 F 3 S (it better be blue !) and options (I'm doing the installs) tomorrow about 1400ish EST! Nice sunny day!

Spyder Garage

Awesome, exciting day for you! Congrats!
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Say it ain't so! I'm a long time sport bike guy, so there's nothing like the sound of a revving inline...............................well......... ...................three! Four would have been better!
    Hey ...Flanker Just IMO opinion I also will every day back the twins for a way better note … And all that as an 2017 F3-T owner … I had my ECU redone with Monster's sprinkling some of their 'Pixie Dust' and love that... The priors were a K+N, a nice clean 2" cat delete and I am still trying to perfect the exhaust can itself …

I'm heading off to the exhaust shop this Monday for our car to have some work. The young fella that owns and runs that business is pretty good and he does bikes as well. I'll have a good yarn with him while I am there to see what he recommends. I may even take the F3-Ts rear exhaust set up off and down there with me at the same time …

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    w00t! Scheduled to pick up my 2018 F 3 S (it better be blue !) and options (I'm doing the installs) tomorrow about 1400ish EST! Nice sunny day!
    Someone better remind me not to go looking at the local dealer for a bulb (filament) then …

Spyder Garage

My TBR slip on came in on Thursfday (6/14)---the muffler is at the "coaters" for a satin black ceramic finish. I was surprised to fine out they air cure them; not bake them. Takes five days, so I should get it back by the middle of next week.