Spyder Garage

Default Power in top case.

Just traded in my ST Limited for a 2018 F3 Limited. Working through the differences and setting up to my preferences. To my dismay the usb power plugs in the top case are switched and only on with the engine running. What the hell use is that. Anyone already gone through making that plug always on? Can it be done without running a wire to battery?

Thanks

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Nice new ryde... congrats on the switch...bummer about the issue with the power supply but if anyone can figure it out it would be you..Hopefully someone has figured it out and it is as easy as the old fuse 6-7 on the old spyders acc outlet...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know switching the fuse from slot 6 to slot 7 on the 2018 RT still works.

I do not know if the F3 ever had that feature and if it is still available on the 2018.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer harness.

F3s don't have the fuse switch option by the look of it. I think I have a plan. I took my custom made trailer harness out of my ST before trading it off. At first look it should plug right into the F3. Going to to double check first. There is a power wire there that powers the isolator module. 10 amp always on circuit. I can tap into that circuit on my custom harness without modifying the factory wiring.

All other ideas welcome.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So my idea of using the trailer feed to power the top case plug is going to take longer to do. So for 2018, on both the F3 and RT. The main tail connector plug has changed to a 16 pin from a 10 pin. That is the connector that is split to install the plug and play trailer harness. So anyone who wishes to take off their hitch from a trade in and move it to there new 2018. The wiring harness won't fit. But I see BRP sells the new Y harness as a separate item. So for the BRP hitch you would just need to buy the new section of harness.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Can you Trace the wire for the USB plug? You might be able to find a spot in a different place to tie it into a 12v source that is always hot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve been looking for a solution as well. When we spend long days on the road we need to charge our SENAs while we stop to eat. No options for that on the F3 but you can charge them while they are in use, so Joe found a USB adapter for an SAE plug and I can run the cord down my jacket and plug in where my heated gear hooks up. I figure if it is cold enough for heated gear we won’t be riding long enough to need to recharge the SENA.

I love that blue!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I’ve been looking for a solution as well. When we spend long days on the road we need to charge our SENAs while we stop to eat. No options for that on the F3 but you can charge them while they are in use, so Joe found a USB adapter for an SAE plug and I can run the cord down my jacket and plug in where my heated gear hooks up. I figure if it is cold enough for heated gear we won’t be riding long enough to need to recharge the SENA.

I love that blue!
    I don't have heated gear, so that will not work for me. The simplest solution I have come up with so far is to get a usb rechargeable power bank. Charge it while driving and use it to charge the Sena when stopped. Also could use the booster pack instead. Mine will charge usb devices, but will not charge on usb. Would need to install a 12V socket.
    Last edited by billybovine; 05-14-2018 at 08:31 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Just like BRP to get rid of something so useful. And why change trailer pin connections every couple of years? Makes no sense to me.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I would instead run a regular cigarette lighter plug to the location of your choice. My F3L does not have one. They are all USB ports and if you have an accessory like Lamonsters Air pac, There is no where to plug it in.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

You could take the EZ route and get an battery tender accessory like this one http://products.batterytender.com/Ac...e-Adaptor.html
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Power in Top Case

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    ..To my dismay the usb power plugs in the top case are switched and only on with the engine running. What the hell use is that.
    Any USB power device is going to draw some current as they will require some cicuitry to convert 12V to 5V. A very tiny amount of current admittedly but I suspect that is the logic behind switched only USB power.

Your idea of using a battery pack for charging is perhaps the best solution. Then the battery pack could be topped up if required while the Spyder is running.

Nice looking Spyder.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Default Power Bank

So I ordered a power bank from Amazon. I picked a high quality one, with high capacity, that had Qualcomm QC 3 charging capability. Not needed for the sena but will charge my phone at full speed if needed. Velcroed it to the inside of my top case. Plugged in the cable and it worked. When the engine was running the power bank charged. When the Sena was plugged in, it charged. So perfect, problem solved.

IMG_20180517_1335066.jpg

Then I noticed that the Sena did not fully charge. WTH. So I watched it. After plugging the Sena into the power bank and pressing the start button. In about 5 minutes the power bank would shut itself off and stop charging the Sena. It appears the power bank I got has an auto shut-off feature. It will turn off when the device it is charging appears fully charged. For some reason that feature kicks in when connected to the Sena even though it is not fully charged. I happened to be talking to my neighbor and mentioned this. He suggested trying a power bank that he had. He got it free out of a case of beer. So what heck I did. It works perfect and will charge the Sena until the blue light comes on. Showing that it is fully charged. What I don't know is if this power bank has enough capacity to fully charged the Sena from dead. We will see I guess.

IMG_20180517_1340466.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Just like BRP to get rid of something so useful. And why change trailer pin connections every couple of years? Makes no sense to me.
    Makes perfect sense ,they can hog more money .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    After plugging the Sena into the power bank and pressing the start button. In about 5 minutes the power bank would shut itself off and stop charging the Sena.
    I have exactly the same power bank (the amazon one not the beer one). I experience the same characteristics. You can keep the power bank on by plugging in another device to the 2nd port. As long as the other device draws >50ma current the bank will stay on. A tablet or a phone work well. Not really practical in your application.

The SENAs require very little current as they approach full charge. Less than 25ma and the power bank shuts down below 50ma.

If its any consolation the power bank will bring the SENA to about 75% charge.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    I have exactly the same power bank (the amazon one not the beer one). I experience the same characteristics. You can keep the power bank on by plugging in another device to the 2nd port. As long as the other device draws >50ma current the bank will stay on. A tablet or a phone work well. Not really practical in your application.

The SENAs require very little current as they approach full charge. Less than 25ma and the power bank shuts down below 50ma.

If its any consolation the power bank will bring the SENA to about 75% charge.
    Good to know, thanks. I was guessing something like that was happening.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Update

So the power bank from a case of beer actually works very well. It only has a capacity of 2,000 milliamp/hrs. Seems to be enough for my Sena SMH10. But I still wanted to get the bigger power bank working. It's 20,000 milliamp/hrs. So I bought a 1.2 watt, usb plug in led to add some draw. Package of 5 for $4.63 CAD from Amazon. That works with the added benefit of a light for the top case at night. The light on the powerbank itself works ok as a flashlight but not practical to light the top case. The top case has a light in it. But it only works when the key is on.

This is my setup.

power bank.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you got it figured out. So what kind of beer did you have to buy?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Coors light. A friend says he has a couple Budwieser ones if I want more.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Top case

I replaced the USB outlet in the top case with a standard cigarette lighter style outlet then plug in a USB adapter.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Question Rear Trunk power outlet

Maybe you guys can help with a question I have. I just bought a '17 f3 Ltd. I noticed the power point in the rear trunk was not working. When I installed the top case/seat extender, i realized there was no power running to the power point! My question is, there are three accessory power points on my f3. Is the rear accessory plug to be used to power the trunk power point? I saw no other wiring that might plug into the power point. Hope that question was clear. Thanks for the help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jefftripp1100 View Post
    Maybe you guys can help with a question I have. I just bought a '17 f3 Ltd. I noticed the power point in the rear trunk was not working. When I installed the top case/seat extender, i realized there was no power running to the power point! My question is, there are three accessory power points on my f3. Is the rear accessory plug to be used to power the trunk power point? I saw no other wiring that might plug into the power point. Hope that question was clear. Thanks for the help.
    Yes, the rear Customer Circuit wire is hooked up to the trunk power port, which on our '18 F3 Ltd, is a dual USB type. I think I'll change the port to a standard cigarette lighter type for more options: lighter plug, USB adapter, etc.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help. That explains it!