Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

My 2008 with the 998 engine was insane. It boiled the gas in the tank. I fixed it, but it took some doing. With my current 2014 RT with the 1330 engine, I too can't store my phone in the front glove box. It's so hot my phone will shut down too. I also tried storing a digital camera and it too shut down. It's not that unusual and has been a fairly common complaint for those that live in the warmer climes. I replaced the catalytic converter with the bypass, but the heat reduction was minimal. (That was more for the right foot than the glove box.)

I personally don't find it overly concerning, but I was coming from the 2008 that was horrible. The fix Utah Pete referenced should help. Also, removing some of the underbody panels would help, this was one of the fixes for the older bikes.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Do you see a down side to installing the kit?
    Yes, the unnecessary expense.

Temps here in AZ reach 110-115* and they (vents) are not needed on the 1330. Something else is causing the excess heat and I doubt if the vents

would solve the problem.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Yes, the unnecessary expense. Temps here in AZ reach 110-115* and they (vents) are not needed on the 1330. Something else is causing the excess heat and I doubt if the vents would solve the problem. Jack
    Yes, I know about riding in the desert. The heat coming off the asphalt when stopped in traffic is unbelievable. Air scoops probably won't make any difference.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m pretty sure that on the 17 RT the acoustic panels have been removed, so you already have a big part of the 13 heat retrofit deal done. I’m like some of the others who never experienced heat issues with any of my RT, even in the Las Vegas heat.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I agree that you have something unusual going on. I don't feel any excessive heat from the bike here in Arid-Zone-A even when the temperature tops 100. I do remove the wind deflectors below the mirrors for warm weather riding. That allows a bit more wind flow over my knee and body area. A friend has adjustable deflectors and loves them but their cost has not appeared on my radar screen budget yet. Good luck finding a solution. I'll be interested in what you find out.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Temp readings from riding today

Went riding today and took a little outdoor thermometer with us to place in the glove box to see what kind of temp readings we are getting. When we started the thermometer read 76 degrees. After 30 minutes of riding, thermometer read 91, ambient outside temp was 71 and it was cloudy so no direct sunshine. I took readings as we stopped throughout the day but when we got "home" the thermometer read 116, outside ambient temp was 82 and it was partly cloudy so some sun some clouds but not all day bright sunshine. 116 is too hot to keep anything in that glove box. I've tried to attach pictures of all the above.
    spydertemps.jpg

So if something is "wrong" what should I do? Go to a dealer? Call BRP? We no longer live near the dealer where we purchased it.

Don't recall if I mentioned in any of my posts above but the wife has the vented windshield. Going to remove the air deflectors under the mirrors to give more air flow to her. And to answer some of you that inquired about engine temps, it never gets past 1/2 way. No indication that the engine itself is running hotter than expected.
    Last edited by viiiball; 05-12-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you asked your dealer to take a look at it yet?
    The 1330s just aren't known for this problem...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you asked your dealer to take a look at it yet? The 1330s just aren't known for this problem...
    Bob, it's not uncommon for fully paneled bikes to have problems with excessive heat on the rider. This isn't necessarily something the dealer or BRP would consider a warranty issue, since it doesn't affect the bike's performance or safety.

I remember some friends of mine had FJR's when they first came out and they loved everything about them except the cockpit heat at standstill.

Some of the Spyders have had issues with excessive heat coming out of the side vents and 'burning' the rider's leg. While BRP may take those complaints into consideration when tweaking the next model year, they're not necessarily going to offer up a solution to those riders who experience excessive heat.

So, for those who do find the cockpit heat bothersome, trying the '13 fix kit is an option, before going to more extreme lengths to get relief from the heat.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HEAT ISSUES

Bob, it's not uncommon for fully paneled bikes to have problems with excessive heat on the rider. This isn't necessarily something the dealer or BRP would consider a warranty issue, since it doesn't affect the bike's performance or safety.

I remember some friends of mine had FJR's when they first came out and they loved everything about them except the cockpit heat at standstill.

Some of the Spyders have had issues with excessive heat coming out of the side vents and 'burning' the rider's leg. While BRP may take those complaints into consideration when tweaking the next model year, they're not necessarily going to offer up a solution to those riders who experience excessive heat.

So, for those who do find the cockpit heat bothersome, trying the '13 fix kit is an option, before going to more extreme lengths to get relief from the heat.
    Well how come all the 1330 Spyders aren't excessively HOT ??????, why only a FEW .....doesn't make sense...... I stand by my other posts on this one ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 1330 heta issues !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    Went riding today and took a little outdoor thermometer with us to place in the glove box to see what kind of temp readings we are getting. When we started the thermometer read 76 degrees. After 30 minutes of riding, thermometer read 91, ambient outside temp was 71 and it was cloudy so no direct sunshine. I took readings as we stopped throughout the day but when we got "home" the thermometer read 116, outside ambient temp was 82 and it was partly cloudy so some sun some clouds but not all day bright sunshine. 116 is too hot to keep anything in that glove box. I've tried to attach pictures of all the above.
    spydertemps.jpg

So if something is "wrong" what should I do? Go to a dealer? Call BRP? We no longer live near the dealer where we purchased it.

Don't recall if I mentioned in any of my posts above but the wife has the vented windshield. Going to remove the air deflectors under the mirrors to give more air flow to her. And to answer some of you that inquired about engine temps, it never gets past 1/2 way. No indication that the engine itself is running hotter than expected.
    As I said in my PM to you , I'm going to check my RT for this tomorrow .......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well how come all the 1330 Spyders aren't excessively HOT ??????, why only a FEW .....doesn't make sense...... I stand by my other posts on this one ........ Mike
    Mike, I think it has more to do with the rider than the bike. Some riders find that heat to be bothersome and some don't. My wife did, but I didn't.

However, there is no doubt whatsoever that the glove box heat is (or was) excessive in both bikes - to the point of making it unusable for electronics, chapstick or energy bars.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

+1 what UP has been saying. He's done the '13 kit on TWO '14's and is happy with it.
    Though my only experience is the difference between an "unfixed" 2012 and my "fixed" '13, the scoops keep my glove box at or below ambient temps. I've said this before, I can now carry a chocolate bar in my glove box on a 15 hr ride on July 5th last year through Iowa, High 90's all day, and it doesn't pour out of the wrapper.

I understand all the 1330 riders who say they have no heat issues, but have they put a thermometer in the Glove box like viiiball has and tested their bikes glove box temps? Their idea of no heat issues may not be viiiball's idea of a heat issue.

viiiball, hopefully you're getting Pit Bull to install it for you and that it solves your concerns. It's a relatively simple inexpensive fix for most RT owners.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default My HOT is different than your hot. Just is.....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Mike, I know that you are blessed to live in one of the blissfully cooler more tree covered road regions of the country, and I think this has more to do with what each of us individuals thinks "hot" is. (I know you bring your Spyder down to Springfield too, but If a chocolate bar or energy bar melts in the glove box, it's too hot. If you never carry items like that in your glove box, then it's not a concern. Same with Jack's perspective and all those that have never had a heat issue.

I'd measure mine with a thermometer tomorrow when I take my wife out for (her choice) Mother's day Ribs and Ice Cream way over in Wisconsin, but it's barely gonna get in the 70's.
    Riding with a buddy with a unvented 2012. Maybe we can two matching thermometers tonight and test them.

By the way, DO ANY OF you have the Insulated glove box liner still in? Mine took up so much space I yanked it .
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Well, maybe it's all a matter of what we get use to living with. While I don't think there is excessive heat coming from the bike, I would never put chapstick or energy bars in ANY enclosed compartment in ANY of my vehicles. That is a recipe for melt down where I live. Personally, I don't think a 30 degree rise from ambient temperature in a small enclosed compartment is unreasonable for any motor vehicle. I carry chapstick in my pocket and chocolate in my belly and never have any problem.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 05-12-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Well, maybe it's all a matter of what we get use to living with. While I don't think there is excessive heat coming from the bike, I would never put chapstick or energy bars in ANY enclosed compartment in ANY of my vehicles. That is a recipe for melt down where I live. Personally, I don't think a 30 degree rise from ambient temperature in a small enclosed compartment is not unreasonable for any motor vehicle. I carry chapstick in my pocket and chocolate in my belly and never have any problem.....
    Exactly. Thank you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default HOT IS HOT OR MAYBE NOT - HaHa

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Mike, I know that you are blessed to live in one of the blissfully cooler more tree covered road regions of the country, and I think this has more to do with what each of us individuals thinks "hot" is. (I know you bring your Spyder down to Springfield too, but If a chocolate bar or energy bar melts in the glove box, it's too hot. If you never carry items like that in your glove box, then it's not a concern. Same with Jack's perspective and all those that have never had a heat issue.

I'd measure mine with a thermometer tomorrow when I take my wife out for (her choice) Mother's day Ribs and Ice Cream way over in Wisconsin, but it's barely gonna get in the 70's.
    Riding with a buddy with a unvented 2012. Maybe we can two matching thermometers tonight and test them.

By the way, DO ANY OF you have the Insulated glove box liner still in? Mine took up so much space I yanked it .
    Dave I said in an earlier post I have ridden my 1330 RT at 100 degree's F , and SpyderAnn rides a lot at that temp and higher ..... a chocolate will start to melt at 95 * F ...... have you considered the HUMAN body is 98* F ? .............. there's a whole lot of difference between warm & Hot ......As an LEO, I had to rescue quite a few Dogs in cars that were well over 120* F and the motor was not running ..... maybe U.P. is correct and nothing is wrong with the Spyder just the person ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-13-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you asked your dealer to take a look at it yet?
    The 1330s just aren't known for this problem...
    THIS.

But you need to understand that the inside of your CAR can get hotter than 116F when it is just sitting out in the sun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was one of the loudest proponents of the theory that this issue (Other than for the 2013 RTs...) is more a case of unreasonable expectations; than it was anything else.
    IF the owner of the Spyder is a Rider with some experience with these mounts: there MIGHT BE something going on...

But if it's a newbie who's used to driving around in air-conditioned comfort: they need to realize that you don't always get everything that you want...

And as far as trying to compare it to a closed-up car in the Sun:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was one of the loudest proponents of the theory that this issue (Other than for the 2013 RTs...) is more a case of unreasonable expectations; than it was anything else.
    To clarify my position on this;
    1. I don't think there is a 'heat problem' with the post- 2013 RTs, in the sense that BRP has an obligation to 'fix' it.
    2. I do think that, like many bikes with fully bodywork, there can be a build-up of heat under the bodywork, particularly the 'cockpit area'
    3. I think experienced riders (of all kinds of bikes) probably accept it as part of the motorcycling experience
    4. I think those that are relatively new to motorcycling are bothered by the heat and would like to find a way to reduce the cockpit temperature
    5. I believe the '13 fix by BRP can also bring benefit to the later models with the 1330 engine in reducing cockpit heat

Nobody is bashing the 1330 RTs as being unacceptably hot in the cockpit area. At least, I'm not. But, if there's an easy fix for what some find bothersome, why not try it? It costs less than a pair of LED headlights if you do the work yourself.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To clarify my position on this;
    1. I don't think there is a 'heat problem' with the post- 2013 RTs, in the sense that BRP has an obligation to 'fix' it.
    In general, no doubt true.

But one should NOT gloss over the possibility that a given individual machine might have some kind of factory defect making matters worse that BRP would be obligated to fix.

Oh, and WalMart bags are EVERYWHERE. Having one stuck to the intake grill is not out of the question.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    In general, no doubt true.

But one should NOT gloss over the possibility that a given individual machine might have some kind of factory defect making matters worse that BRP would be obligated to fix.

Oh, and WalMart bags are EVERYWHERE. Having one stuck to the intake grill is not out of the question.
    Good point, ER
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Having dealt with this on Louise bike and a few customers bikes...they are all the same. The heat just bothers some more than others.

That said, adding the 2013 intake vents and replacing the acoustic panels with the strut does make the glove box and heat at the forward end of the seat much less hot. Its a significant reduction.

There is nothing wrong with the bikes, and they are FAR better than the V-twin RTs that preceded them. But some still find the heat that is present uncomfortable and adding the 13 scoops does help a good deal.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Having dealt with this on Louise bike and a few customers bikes...they are all the same. The heat just bothers some more than others.

That said, adding the 2013 intake vents and replacing the acoustic panels with the strut does make the glove box and heat at the forward end of the seat much less hot. Its a significant reduction.

There is nothing wrong with the bikes, and they are FAR better than the V-twin RTs that preceded them. But some still find the heat that is present uncomfortable and adding the 13 scoops does help a good deal.
    Good to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    But you need to understand that the inside of your CAR can get hotter than 116F when it is just sitting out in the sun.
    The closed inside of a sedan sitting in the summer sun in my area can easily exceed 140F. And it takes less than an hour to reach that temp.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for all your input

I want to thank everyone for their input to my original post. And in my OP I misidentified the year of the original bike, it was a 2011 RT Limited, not a 2013.

This is not a case of coming from an air conditioned car to a motorcycle. With that said, we have 7 years of riding comparison and we can unequivocally state that the heat coming up through the seat and the temp in the glove box is WAY higher in the 2017 RT Limited than we experienced with the 2102. The glove box was usable with the 2012 and NOT with the 2017. The 2102 had little noticeable heat flowing up through the merging of the seat and the body work. The 2017, there is VERY noticeable heat coming up through the seat.

I have the RT Vent Kit on order at Pitbull Powersports and once that comes in I will be talking with them about this issue. I cannot return to the original dealer to have this addressed since we no longer "live" near that (or any) dealer. We live in a RV and travel the country so we do not have a relationship with any one dealer.

Again, thank you to everyone but please understand I need to find a resolution to a real issue, not a perceived one. Hoping that the vent kit or something else that Pitbull can address for us will reduce the heat my wife is experiencing in her cockpit.
    Last edited by viiiball; 05-15-2018 at 07:54 AM.