Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    I have the RT Vent Kit on order at Pitbull Powersports and once that comes in I will be talking with them about this issue.
    Good luck with that.

I think the prudent thing to do would have been to talk to them about it and let them give it a quick look.......BEFORE you spent any money on a guess. The thing is still under warranty, after all.

AND......I don't think that anybody here is trying to say that your wife should "just get over it".
    What we ARE trying to say.....collectively.....is that there might actually be something wrong with your specific machine because virtually NO other owner of that model has a serious problem like that.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What color are (were) the two bikes?
    Everyone experiences heat sensations differently.
    There is nothing about the 1330 bikes, that would make them more prone to a heat issue. In fact: they were designed to reduce complaints of excess heat...
    I was wondering about this too. I have a 2016 RTL and even in very warm Arizona do not have anything resembling a heat issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went on a long ride yesterday; Florida....hot and humid.
    I "tested" the glove box and surrounding area a few times and it DOES get hotter than I thought.

But it is not a problem while moving....and not any worse than 2 wheels with the exposed engine right under you when you stop.

To the OP: Before spending a lot of time and money, run your hand over the space between the front of the seat and the back of the glove box. I had a significant hot air flow coming out there and fixed that with some stick-on weather strip. Of course that won't last forever and will need to be replaced once a year or so probably.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Haven't had a problem with heat in the glove box------- but I did put a thin piece of foam on the bottom of the glove box to keep the protective device form bouncing around. When off the bike it's in my pocket or on my belt. Maybe it's not hot enough in Nevada ------ but we did hit plenty of heat last summers trip and WILL get plenty of heat this trip to the southwest. A vented windshield keeps the humans cool enough.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Curious what added accessories the bike has? Any grills in the front? Heat shields that might block air flow? Is this a used bike or bought new? What coolant is used? In the Goldwings, the use of a coolant with silicates caused the water pump to go bad. Not sure if the Ace engine is similar?

I have just over 3300 miles on my 2018 and the chapstick in my glove box is fine. I've had a few days of 90+ temps in the California Central Valley with no problems. Air flow is a big deal and anything that slows that flow can make a difference. Guessing you're using the right coolant, plugs, oil etc. Not sure but can the gas octane make a difference in engine temp?
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 05-21-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I had some Tupperware off today. The area around the center consul box has a lot of Styrofoam. I couldn't see how any more insulation could be added. In fact, I was impressed by all the heat insulation on the Tupperware panels too. I am 2nd owner and maybe the PO added extra insulation but it does look factory installed.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Curious what added accessories the bike has? Any grills in the front? Heat shields that might block air flow? Is this a used bike or bought new? What coolant is used?
    This is a completely stock bike except for the vented windshield so there is nothing as far as accessories that would be causing this heat. The engine is not overheating at all so not sure how coolant could be affecting this.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat gun readings

The RV Vent Kit came into Pitbull Powersports this morning so I we will be riding up there to get it tomorrow. Don't have an opening in Service until 6/7 and we will have left the area so going to have to either install myself or find another dealer along our travels to install for me.

But, we did go out riding with my newly purchased heat gun. It was 86 degrees and cloudy. Heat right under the seat, next to the oil dip stick registered 135 degrees. This is the heat she feels coming up through the intersection of the seat and the bodywork.
    heat-spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

Post overlap, I started typing, asking if it was in as you must have been hitting transmit on your post above, and didn't see your post until after I sent mine. Good example of the heat differential. I'd get some comparisons of glove box versus external ambient as well. Then after you scoop it, check again and post the differences.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-25-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Viiiball, has the '13 vent kit been installed yet? I thought you were travelling through the Springfield area and trying to get it done while there.
    As I posted above, the part just came in today and Pitbull has no openings in the service department until 6/7 and we leave the area on 6/5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RV Vent Kit came into Pitbull Powersports this morning so I we will be riding up there to get it tomorrow. Don't have an opening in Service until 6/7 and we will have left the area so going to have to either install myself or find another dealer along our travels to install for me.

But, we did go out riding with my newly purchased heat gun. It was 86 degrees and cloudy. Heat right under the seat, next to the oil dip stick registered 135 degrees. This is the heat she feels coming up through the intersection of the seat and the bodywork.
    heat-spyder.jpg
    The only part of the kit install you will need cutting tools for is to enlarge the existing vent hole. Some people don't even do this. I'd say go ahead and install the kit yourself, leaving the cutting to some future date if you feel you want even more air flow. Otherwise, you won't need any special tools to install this and you will see a benefit from it. Basic panel removal tool (T-30), screwdriver and drill to make the new holes in the panel for the scoop itself.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The only part of the kit install you will need cutting tools for is to enlarge the existing vent hole. Some people don't even do this. I'd say go ahead and install the kit yourself, leaving the cutting to some future date if you feel you want even more air flow. Otherwise, you won't need any special tools to install this and you will see a benefit from it.
    Great idea. Thanks Pete

Spyder Garage

BTW, heat registered right in the crotch area of the seat was 102

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the heat she feels coming up through the intersection of the seat and the bodywork.
    I think this is about the third time I have suggested this:
    A small strip of stick on weather strip applied at that "intersection" will stop about 100% of the air flow coming up there.
    Plug the gap and no air flow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I think this is about the third time I have suggested this:
    A small strip of stick on weather strip applied at that "intersection" will stop about 100% of the air flow coming up there.
    Plug the gap and no air flow.
    Yep, thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOT CROTCH

BTW, heat registered right in the crotch area of the seat was 102
    102 F ....... the only thing that would have an issue with this Temp ............would be an " Ice Cube ".......... seriously - you do realize the normal human body temp is 98 F +/- .....so 102F is only 4 degree's warmer .....................and I also checked my glove box temps a few times and it never went above 98 F ............. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .. seriously - you do realize the normal human body temp is 98 F +/- .....so 102F is only 4 degree's warmer .........
    More strange assertions from our self-appointed expert on everything.

Are you really saying that if you have 98 F air blowing on YOU that it does not feel HOT ??

SERIOUSLY ??

Spyder Garage

Default Dumb * ss comments

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    More strange assertions from our self-appointed expert on everything.

Are you really saying that if you have 98 F air blowing on YOU that it does not feel HOT ??

SERIOUSLY ??
    The way you think .....BOGGLES my mind ...... I said this in another post ----YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ ........ I didn't say ANYTHING about Air blowing on Anyone .....and if you know even the basics about Anatomy you would know that the 98 F temp is the bodies CORE Temp not the skin Temp ....AGAIN please, please, please STOP reading my Threads and Posts ...... I make FAR to much sense for you to comprehend ....so why are torturing your-self .................and of Rant .........Love Mike ............... PS, I haven't self appointed myself to be an EXPERT about anything !!!
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-26-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They way you think .....BOGGLES my mind ...... I said this in another post ----YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ ........ I didn't say ANYTHING about Air blowing on Anyone .....and if you anything about Anatomy you would know that the 98 F temp is the bodies CORE Temp not the skin Temp ....AGAIN please, please, please STOP reading my Threads and Posts ...... I make FAR to much sense for you to comprehend ....so why are torturing your-self .................and of Rant .........Love Mike
    Mike, let it go. It doesn't matter that he disagrees with you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Vent kit

Picked up the vent kit this morning. Pitbull was closed but a sales guy was there delivering a Sea Doo so he let us in and found the part. The box was open but appears everything is in there. No instructions. Should there be instructions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Picked up the vent kit this morning. Pitbull was closed but a sales guy was there delivering a Sea Doo so he let us in and found the part. The box was open but appears everything is in there. No instructions. Should there be instructions?
    Yes. Give me your email in a PM and I'll send you the PDF.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-26-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default LET IT GO

Pete I am fine with Dis-agreeing on something / anything, this is part of human discourse ............. However it's the RUDE Personal attacks He feels are necessary in almost every comment He has made to me ............. awhile back He told everyone on this Forum that I was an " ASS " and He got away with it .... So now I'm sure He feels emboldened to say ANYTHING He wants ..... and the Administrator ( who I reported this to - TWICE ) apparently agree's with Him ..... ....................go figure .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes. Give me your email in a PM and I'll send you the PDF.
    PM sent

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In this case, as many others, I don't really KNOW if I agree with him or not.
    Because he finds a need to try and make his posts "cute" but instead they just come out obtuse and confusing.

But then......when he goes off on a tirade against me......the verbiage is absolutely 100% clear.....except for the part where he makes a feeble attempt to explain the original post.

Do YOU understand what that first post about body temperature means ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete I am fine with Dis-agreeing on something / anything, this is part of human discourse ............. However it's the RUDE Personal attacks He feels are necessary in almost every comment He has made to me ............. awhile back He told everyone on this Forum that I was an " ASS " and He got away with it .... So now I'm sure He feels emboldened to say ANYTHING He wants ..... and the Administrator ( who I reported this to - TWICE ) apparently agree's with Him ..... ....................go figure .................Mike
    Yeah I get that he insulted you. Just ignore him.
    2014 RTL Platinum