Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat in the "cockpit"

About 6-8 months ago my wife traded in her 2011 RT for a 2017 RT. One thing we have noticed is the 2017 has a ton of heat in the cockpit area. Seems as if there is a lot more engine heat and it is not being dissipated correctly. For example, nothing at all can be kept in the compartment just in front of the crotch area. It is so hot it actually overheated her iPhone. But more important, it is causing her physically to overheat. She has the vented windshield so that helps a bit but not enough.

Is there a way to insulate between the cockpit and the engine better? Should we remove the undercarriage plastic and try and force some of the heat down and out? What other options exist to get the heat away from the rider? I know we can get some of the adjustable side vents but if I can prevent the heat from going to or towards the driver it will be the best option.

Why is this bike so much hotter than her 2011?

Need to find a solution or she won't be riding much.

TIA
    Last edited by viiiball; 05-15-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    About 6-8 months ago my wife traded in her 2013 RT for a 2017 RT. One thing we have noticed is the 2017 has a ton of heat in the cockpit area. Seems as if there is a lot more engine heat and it is not being dissipated correctly. For example, nothing at all can be kept in the compartment just in front of the crotch area. It is so hot it actually overheated her iPhone. But more important, it is causing her physically to overheat. She has the vented windshield so that helps a bit but not enough.

Is there a way to insulate between the cockpit and the engine better? Should we remove the undercarriage plastic and try and force some of the heat down and out? What other options exist to get the heat away from the rider? I know we can get some of the adjustable side vents but if I can prevent the heat from going to or towards the driver it will be the best option.

Why is this bike so much hotter than her 2013?

TIA

Add the air scoops that the 2013 had I did. or baker wind deflectors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

About 6-8 months ago my wife traded in her 2013 RT for a 2017 RT. One thing we have noticed is the 2017 has a ton of heat in the cockpit area. Seems as if there is a lot more engine heat and it is not being dissipated correctly. For example, nothing at all can be kept in the compartment just in front of the crotch area. It is so hot it actually overheated her iPhone. But more important, it is causing her physically to overheat. She has the vented windshield so that helps a bit but not enough.

TIA
    I responded more fully on the other thread. The kit includes insulating foam pieces that fit only the body panels and do a good job at keeping the engine heat off the body panels. That fix alone should help quite a bit, particularly when not moving.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

+1 What UP and others have said, I've read of several that installed the Lamonster Cat Delete to cool their 1330 RT's as well. Some even wrap the header pipes to further push the heat out the pipes vs radiating from the pipes.
    The '13 Heat remediation kit is the easiest start. But, in standstill traffic, it can still be warm if there's not a good breeze.
    Here's a link to someone with a '15 RT dealing with the heat.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...nt-of-the-seat

And another mentioned in the above thread
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...715-Air-Scoops
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-11-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What color are (were) the two bikes?
    Everyone experiences heat sensations differently.
    There is nothing about the 1330 bikes, that would make them more prone to a heat issue. In fact: they were designed to reduce complaints of excess heat...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There is nothing about the 1330 bikes, that would make them more prone to a heat issue. In fact: they were designed to reduce complaints of excess heat...
    First was white and second is charcoal. Sure this could amount for some of it. But you can really feel the heat coming up between the outer shell and the seat. There is definitely something different (besides color). I'm guessing less insulation between engine and rider but have nothing to compare that to so just speculating.

Still need to find a remedy. Looking into the scoops but have tool issues.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOO HOT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    .......I would have this issue - VERIFIED - using an infrared heat detector ..... if you are experiencing this , something isn't right ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First was white and second is charcoal. Sure this could amount for some of it. But you can really feel the heat coming up between the outer shell and the seat. There is definitely something different (besides color). I'm guessing less insulation between engine and rider but have nothing to compare that to so just speculating.

Still need to find a remedy. Looking into the scoops but have tool issues.
    I suggest you get the kit and just install the insulating pads from it. That, and remove the plastic piece from the side panel area and replace with the included brace. I think that's a fairly easy way to address the heat issue without spending a lot of money. Then, install the scoops later when you have the tools to do it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......I would have this issue - VERIFIED - using an infrared heat detector ..... if you are experiencing this , something isn't right ......Mike
    May be a stupid question but where would I go to find someone with an infrared heat detector? Definitely something isn't right as I mentioned, the glove compartment is too hot to even keep a phone in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I suggest you get the kit and just install the insulating pads from it. That, and remove the plastic piece from the side panel area and replace with the included brace. I think that's a fairly easy way to address the heat issue without spending a lot of money. Then, install the scoops later when you have the tools to do it.
    Thanks Pete. Sounds like a good interim step.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

May be a stupid question but where would I go to find someone with an infrared heat detector? Definitely something isn't right as I mentioned, the glove compartment is too hot to even keep a phone in.
    Harbor Freight has them for about $20 I think.

Here's one on Amazon for $15 https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperatu.../dp/B00QYX6F5G
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight has them for about $20 I think.

Here's one on Amazon for $15 https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperatu.../dp/B00QYX6F5G
    Thanks Pete. We are currently an hour south of Springfield, MO so I just called Pitbull Powersports and ordered the RT Vent kit. Should have it the end of next week.

Spyder Garage

viiiball, Have you addressed this issue with Pitbull Powersports? Len and the crew may have some experience correcting this on your year/model already. Just a thought. But the kit should help whilst moving for sure. I suspect they could install this for you as well.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default BRP HEAT DUCTING

I've owned 3 Spyders - two V-twins and now my 2014 RT ........ my 08 GS had detectable heat coming up from the engine , more so if it was like 90 *F ...... My RT has NO heat issues at all and I've ridden it at 100 *F ...... this leads me to think SOMETHING is wrong .....like maybe they forgot to put on the OEM insulated sub-panels at the Factory .....stranger things have happened .......... So this begs the Question - how many here have had EXCESSIVE Heat issues from the 1330 engine ?????? ............ if your Gas mileage goes from 40mpg to 30mpg something is wrong , this may be the case here also .............. Mike ...PS the 2013 RT had the V-twin in the new 1330 FRAME , so this is a totally different situation !!!!!
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-11-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've owned 3 Spyders - two V-twins and now my 2014 RT ........ my 08 GS had detectable heat coming up from the engine , more so if it was like 90 *F ...... My RT has NO heat issues at all and I've ridden it at 100 *F ...... this leads me to think SOMETHING is wrong .....like maybe they forgot to put on the OEM insulated sub-panels at the Factory .....stranger things have happened .......... So this begs the Question - how many here have had EXCESSIVE Heat issues from the 1330 engine ?????? ............ if your Gas mileage goes from 40mpg to 30mpg something is wrong , this may be the case here also .............. Mike
    I had heat issues with my wife's RT. Once I installed the kit on hers and saw what difference it made, I went ahead and installed it on mine. I wasn't having 'issues' with heat, but I'm glad I did because the cockpit is definitely cooler now - particularly the glove box, which was melting anything inside it.

The kit comes with insulating pads to install on the body panels; there were none installed at the factory in those locations.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never had a hint of any heat issues, with any of my three RTs...
    But you know what they say: "No sense; no feeling!"
    Seriously: I think that it has a lot to do with how you end up riding.
    If you're constantly getting caught in stop & go traffic: you're gonna feel the heat!
    That's perfectly normal.
    But if you've got your knees out in the breeze, and it still bothers you: then you've got something to address.
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No heat issues with any of the five RS/ and RT's I have owned. However, I am in Alaska. Summer days of 70 plus are rare in my area.

When we get down to the lower 48, that may be a different issue.

One daily rental in Hawaii (they don't do them anymore), and we were down to helmets, aloha shirts, jeans and tennis shoes. Got stuck in a traffic jam coming back and the rig overheated. Started fine again after a 15 minute rest.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your input. Here is what I have done:

1. Ordered RT vent kit from Pitbull Powersports. 3-5 day turnaround time.
    2. Ordered temperature gun from Amazon
    3. Sent message to Pitbull Powersports inquiring about heat issues with 2017 RT's

What I will do:
    1. Next ride (once received temp gun and before any work is done) take temperature reading
    2. Inquire of Pitbull Powersports about installing vent kit
    3. Install insulation and replace panel with bracket from vent kit first if PbP cannot do the vent installation in a timely manner (only in area until 6/4)
    4. Take temp reading after work completed
    5. Install vent kit (once i figure out tools needed)

There is no doubt in my mind something is not correct. Its just way to hot and we do not ride in traffic. This occurs with "knees in the breeze" riding. Hopefully the above actions will help as I cannot have my wife pass out due to the heat.

Spyder Garage

Good Plan, and if PBPS can't install that kit before you leave the area, I'd be shocked. But if you've already done some of the work yourself, it'll be a breeze to finish up.
    I've seen at least two or three that have had the "body" section of the scoops painted to match the Spyder, one even had the scoops painted a different than body color, but matching their pinstriping/accent color.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your input. Here is what I have done:

1. Ordered RT vent kit from Pitbull Powersports. 3-5 day turnaround time.
    2. Ordered temperature gun from Amazon
    3. Sent message to Pitbull Powersports inquiring about heat issues with 2017 RT's

What I will do:
    1. Next ride (once received temp gun and before any work is done) take temperature reading
    2. Inquire of Pitbull Powersports about installing vent kit
    3. Install insulation and replace panel with bracket from vent kit first if PbP cannot do the vent installation in a timely manner (only in area until 6/4)
    4. Take temp reading after work completed
    5. Install vent kit (once i figure out tools needed)

There is no doubt in my mind something is not correct. Its just way to hot and we do not ride in traffic. This occurs with "knees in the breeze" riding. Hopefully the above actions will help as I cannot have my wife pass out due to the heat.
    That would be great info, once you have done the before and after install. Looking forward to it.

BTW, one of the advantages of this kit install, if you change your own oil, is that it provides much easier access to the oil filter cap.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I agree. Check the exhaust flanges. What is the engine temp? Running too lean? Fan not operating correctly? Radiator cooling fluid?

This is not normal! You should not need a vent kit on the 1330. Kits were designed to alleviate the heat problems on the 998 for 2013.

​Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 05-11-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I agree. Check the exhaust flanges. What is the engine temp? Running too lean? Fan not operating correctly? Radiator cooling fluid? This is not normal! You should not need a vent kit on the 1330. Kits were designed to alleviate the heat problems on the 998 for 2013.​Jack
    Do you see a down side to installing the kit?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default HEAT

Do you see a down side to installing the kit?
    I think " Jack " meant to say " GASKETS " for the exhaust pipes ...... If one or more have failed on a 17 Spyder , I would expect that to be covered under warranty because they would be defective at His low mileage ............jmho.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TIA
    I have a '17 RT and live in Florida.

I put the "deluxe" windshield with adjustable vents on it.
    Also changed the lower side deflectors to their adjustable ones.
    Having the shield DOWN some helps too.

But I don't notice that it is any hotter (while moving) than my bike with a fairing was.

One small note: I did notice hot air coming up between the front of the seat and the back of the "glove box". Put a strip of stick-on weather stripping there to stop that.

Based on your description, I suggest that the shop should remove the major side panels and inspect to be sure that something isn't out of place causing poor air flow in the engine compartment. Also check to be sure that the front air inlets aren't blocked.

My glove box gets a bit warm but nothing like you described.
    IIRC, there is a thick foam insulation under it.

I assume that the engine temp gauge doesn't go above half way ??
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 05-11-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    viiiball, Have you addressed this issue with Pitbull Powersports? Len and the crew may have some experience correcting this on your year/model already. Just a thought. But the kit should help whilst moving for sure. I suspect they could install this for you as well.
    This machine is still under warranty, right ?
    Why would you NOT insist that the dealer have a look at it ??