Spyder Garage

Default Finally, 1981 850 going together

After a winter of tearing apart and refurbishing the assembling has now began on the new Suzuki 850 “Dark” model. New Shinko tires, front forks rebuilt with new Sonic springs and new Hagon shocks on the rear. Carbs have been rebuilt with GEN-U-WINE Suzuki parts and Robert’s o-rings, all new rubber mounts and intake boots are waiting. I have all of the parts needed to upgrade the charging system and the braking systems have been rebuilt with goodies from Suzuki and Earl’s. Tossed in new clutch springs just for giggles. Shoulders are shot, no longer interested in polishing aluminum and chrome then hurting for two days. This rescue is getting the dark treatment.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default We're not worthy.......

That IS Beautiful! Well done and keep up the Awesome work. L
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice.

Spyder Garage

Can't wait to see it all together

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Now that brings back some good memories. I had one of those. Same color too. I had mine "Vettered" up with "Windjammer" fairing, Vetter saddle bags, and a Vetter top trunk. Drove it a couple years and traded it in on my first Yamaha Venture touring machine (1983).

Great bikes--.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Now that brings back some good memories. I had one of those. Same color too. I had mine "Vettered" up with "Windjammer" fairing, Vetter saddle bags, and a Vetter top trunk. Drove it a couple years and traded it in on my first Yamaha Venture touring machine (1983).

Great bikes--.
    9197836.jpg1986 Venture 2nd of 4 ventures and 2 Royal Stars

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    9197836.jpg1986 Venture 2nd of 4 ventures and 2 Royal Stars

Riding buddy of mine bought a Venture the first year they were available. He was retired and lived on that bike. 210,000 miles and second gear went out so he traded it for another Venture. Great bike, great engine, I liked the V-Max version
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Haven't updated for a bit so here is the 850 with the stock exhausts cleaned up and installed. May be ready for a test firing soon. Bike has been running too lean and darkened the head pipes. No wonder, intake had more air leaks than I could count. All new factory original intake parts so no more leaks.

2015 RT , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sweet! Should be nice when you are done!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Introducing new for 1981

The Suzuki GS850G dark version. Limited edition because I have the only one with this color scheme A Tank of fresh gas and a short shakedown ride and the bike runs great. I was hesitant about buying the Sonic fork springs and the Hagon shocks being the rather frugal fellow that I am. We have a street here in town that is in bad need of new pavement and the seams are almost speed bump quality. Suspension upgrades? Glad I spent the money and got the goodies. Amazing how smooth this old bike rides and the engine is scary smooth. Transmission shifts very nicely up or down. I thought I might keep this rescue/rebuild and now I am convinced. This baby stays. No front turn signals installed because I have a nice vintage Wixom fairing and a nice rack/backrest to be installed. I thought about painting the fairing, but the original white buffed out so well I decided to keep it as a survivor. New chrome caps for the cam towers on the way and I need the trim for the bottom edge of the seat. A good cleaning and polishing, a few tweaks and my solo tour bike will be ready for an adventure. We travel on our 2015 RT and love it, but I manage to get in a few short solo rides every year and this will be my mount. Nothing like spending a few days on the Blueridge Parkway on a vintage bike.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

It just does not get much better. Vintage bikes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Had suzuki's most of the time and always loved them. You did an amazing job getting her back to her original state.. Sorry to see the fairing going on but if your going to travel I can understand. Just looks so good al naturale....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Had suzuki's most of the time and always loved them. You did an amazing job getting her back to her original state.. Sorry to see the fairing going on but if your going to travel I can understand. Just looks so good al naturale....

I agree, but alas I have been spoiled over the years by windshields. I am going to set it up for quick installation/removal so I can cruise nekkid locally.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should have a great feeling of accomplishment and pride for a job well done. Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

That is one really sweet ride. You should be proud of yourself for bringing her back to life.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    That is one really sweet ride. You should be proud of yourself for bringing her back to life.

Spyder Garage

Well, I have about 200 "test" miles on the 850 and after a few tweaks and adjustments it is ready to become a productive member of society again. The original Wixom shield was too tall for my taste and rather than trim a perfectly nice 40 year old windshield I took the stock shield that I had in the garage from my 2014 Triumph Trophy and adapted it. Works quite well. I also used a couple of round Honda turn signals in the fairing and have them wired so I can quickly remove the fairing and signals and install the stock ones if I get the urge to ride a nekkid bike. Now to put some miles on the bike.

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

on a job well done. I think of yours every time I jump on my 900 Vulcan. At least CC wise, they are in the ballpark. I did like my Suziki 850 a lot though. It got traded in for a Venture a couple years after I bought it.

Good to see yours is once again up and running.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Looking good!

My college graduation gift to myself was a 1981 GS750E. My riding partner had a 1982 GS850L. After riding the L, I wanted the shaft drive G but it was not to be. Ended up keeping the E and finally traded it on a 1990 Concours. I haven’t fussed with a chain drive bike since.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 42 View Post
    Looking good!

My college graduation gift to myself was a 1981 GS750E. My riding partner had a 1982 GS850L. After riding the L, I wanted the shaft drive G but it was not to be. Ended up keeping the E and finally traded it on a 1990 Concours. I haven’t fussed with a chain drive bike since.
    I paid a bit more for the 850 than I should have, but it was complete and I really wanted a shaft drive bike. When we travel two up we take our Spyder, but when traveling solo I like two wheels and I prefer a vintage bike. The search was on for one of the many Yamaha's that had shaft drive in the late 70's and early 80's or a Suzuki 850. It had to be in the 600cc to 900cc range as well. I did find a very nice XS1100, but it was too big for my liking and the 750 Virago I found was not comfortable for me. I don't care for the cruiser riding position. Then the 850 popped up and I grabbed it. Very reliable bikes, parts are readily available and not overly expensive. Some items like the exhaust pipes and some trim items are not available, but there are aftermarket alternatives. I got lucky and the original exhaust was solid and in great shape. The 850 and I will be heading for the Blue Ridge Parkway in a couple of weeks
    Last edited by Navydad; 06-10-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    2015 RT , Black