Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Seat release tool

After reading about seats not opening the other day I decided to be proactive and make a tool to do the job now as opposed to trying to fabricate something on the road while almost out of fuel. I will keep in in my trunk in case myself or someone I am with has the issue while riding.

seat latch C.jpg seat latch A.jpg seat latch B.jpg

Photos aren't the best but you get the idea. It works like a charm.
    Last edited by Zip; 05-10-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing that. About what gauge metal wire did you use on that?
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gunny 02.jpg

You've given me a perfect project for tomorrow evening...
    (The Missus will be out of Town! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscofield84 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. About what gauge metal wire did you use on that?
    0.125" SS
    2010 RTSM5

Spyder Garage

That's a great idea, one that I will be replicating ASAP.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY TOOL FOR SEAT

.....Good for you .... I realized this as a problem a couple of years ago .../..so I made a very thin cable pull for that latch ...... I vended a few at Spyderquest .......... you should put one on the FRUNK also ...it's easy ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    After reading about seats not opening the other day I decided to be proactive and make a tool to do the job now as opposed to trying to fabricate something on the road while almost out of fuel. I will keep in in my trunk in case myself or someone I am with has the issue while riding.

Push or pull? Looks like a pull system never had to fool with yet, key has worked fine but always handy to know. SS wire say from a wire welder? If so great I have some from my dads don't know the diameter, what about bailing wire? Been recommended by bunch of 2wheel buds.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Push or pull? Looks like a pull system never had to fool with yet, key has worked fine but always handy to know. SS wire say from a wire welder? If so great I have some from my dads don't know the diameter, what about bailing wire? Been recommended by bunch of 2wheel buds.
    Bailing wired old coat hanger
    2010 RTSM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Good for you .... I realized this as a problem a couple of years ago .../..so I made a very thin cable pull for that latch ...... I vended a few at Spyderquest .......... you should put one on the FRUNK also ...it's easy ....... Mike
    That's what I did put it on the seat and the front trunk

Spyder Garage

X2 on what Mike said.

Spyder Garage

Zip, great simple idea, MAN that is one well worn beadrider.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Same idea but more permanent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I just took a tie strap to the cable and hold the latch catch over and don't have to unlock anything. Took all of two minutes to do. Not the least bit worried about anybody stealing my gas or putting something in the tank. Do people even do that type thing anymore? They just rob you or carjack you.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

BRP paid lots of people big bucks to engineer this machine. There is more signs of intelligence on this forum than anywhere else! Love this idea. I’ll be working on this tomorrow. Thanks for posting!
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Default Great..!

Have seen mostly the permanent hidden pulls. Have seen folks take the pin out and have a non-locking seat. But always nice to have a tool that way you can help your fellow ryder. I just carry two keys... will make one up cause not many do..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    I just took a tie strap to the cable and hold the latch catch over and don't have to unlock anything. Took all of two minutes to do. Not the least bit worried about anybody stealing my gas or putting something in the tank. Do people even do that type thing anymore? They just rob you or carjack you.
    I went one step further and just removed the stud from the seat altogether. I think I'll make one of these releases for the frunk though. Thanks for the post
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default seat issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I went one step further and just removed the stud from the seat altogether. I think I'll make one of these releases for the frunk though. Thanks for the post
    Actually that " STUD " serves another function .... and this I learned from someone else's Bad experience ..... that Stud is a locator for EXACTLY where the seat pan will Position ... when it is down. Since the for and aft movement of the seat can be adjusted .... without that STUD, the seat can actually slide forward .....if this occurs ( and I know it can ) your seat will rub on your gas tank ( on an RT ) .....this can and will damage the paint ....... just a heads - up ........... Mike ......PS what I did on mine was , I wired the LATCH mechanism so it wasn't fully closed ..... It will catch when I close he seat and it stays down ....however a slight upward tug on the seat flap will release it ........ Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Made a permanent release on our RT for the seat and the frunk. One of the first things I did was make a release for the frunk on the F3L.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Hey, you guys are a lot smarter than you look!

Great idea!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP should be embarrassed........

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    BRP paid lots of people big bucks to engineer this machine. There is more signs of intelligence on this forum than anywhere else! Love this idea. I’ll be working on this tomorrow. Thanks for posting!
    But they're not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How long is that? About 6"?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Actually that " STUD " serves another function .... and this I learned from someone else's Bad experience ..... that Stud is a locator for EXACTLY where the seat pan will Position ... when it is down. Since the for and aft movement of the seat can be adjusted .... without that STUD, the seat can actually slide forward .....if this occurs ( and I know it can ) your seat will rub on your gas tank ( on an RT ) .....this can and will damage the paint ....... just a heads - up ........... Mike ......PS what I did on mine was , I wired the LATCH mechanism so it wasn't fully closed ..... It will catch when I close he seat and it stays down ....however a slight upward tug on the seat flap will release it ........ Mike
    I changed my thinking based on your advice Mike I put the stud back in and just tied the latch mechanism back. Never even considered that gthe stud holds the alignment of the seat.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    Same idea but more permanent.
    Ditto. I had some 14 gauge solid house wire so I used that. Works well, but doesn't need to be that heavy. I had to drill a hole in that metal piece where the OEM cable terminates, because the existing hole wasn't big enough for that large a wire.

Emerg seat release.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-29-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

l don't remember the part # off hand but I replaced the gas strut on my seat with a stronger one. I believe Mike, BlueKnight911, was the one who gave us the part # one time. It works great and can lift the seat with my helmet and jacket on it.

It can be a pain to find just the right spot but I would strongly suggest you all go through the process of getting the stud positioned just right so it goes in and out of the latch smoothly. When it's in the right spot, and with the stronger strut, as soon as I turn the key to unlock the seat it rises up on its own!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default WIRE TOO FAT

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Ditto. I had some 14 gauge solid house wire so I used that. Works well, but doesn't need to be that heavy. I had to drill a hole in that metal piece where the OEM cable terminates, because the existing hole wasn't big enough for that large a wire.

Emerg seat release.jpg
    I'm betting it would have fit without the insulation ....... Mike