Spyder Garage

Default Can Am Ignition Key Erased

Hello All,

i recently had had to order a new spare Can Am key from the dealer, had it cut, then brought it back to have it programmed to the bike. All went well and I rode the bike to work, then to the golf course for a beverage. I then went to go home and the bike wouldn’t start. I switched to original key and it still wouldn’t start, and then I noticed the “key error” in the display.
    After a call to the dealer they came and picked the bike up and began to look into the problem. Apparently the original key was erased from the bike computer during the programming of the new one. The new one also lost programming for some reason. They had to redo both keys through the laptop connected to the bike again. Just thought I would share, as I am very new to motorcycles in general anyways, especially the chipped keys. I am however very familiar with computers and IT in general by trade. I am wondering if while programming new keys the application maybe was not closed or exited properly thus saving codes to the new database.

Anyway, all is good and my dealer was absolutely great about it!!! They said even if I was across the state they would of come picked me up! pretty cool!

Safe Riding All!

-TA

2008 Can Am Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

On your 2008 GS. Which is different from 2014 and later models, for others reading this. The key has fixed code and is not programmed or changed in any way. When a new key needs to added to a Spyder. One working key and a master key must be used to start the programming process. There is no need to plug the Spyder into a computer. During the process all previous working keys are deleted from the DESS. So if you still want a key to work. It must be added to the DESS log again. So any keys left at home will no longer work. It sound like in your case. They left the DESS in programing mode by accident. It does happen. Not only will some of your keys stop working. The battery will run down after a couple days.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Billy's new ride

Sorry to hyjack the thread but that is one mighty fine looking ride Billy
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White