Thread: belt squeal

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default belt squeal

out on a ride a few weeks ago met an oldtimer bike mechanic/builder. he heard the belt on my 2012 rts squeal as I pulled in beside his and his friends matching Indians. told me to get rid of the squeal to jack the bike up, start it, put it in 1st gear and take a bar of bath soap to the edges of the belt. well I did that over the weekend. was able to get the bike out today for a short ride across town and back and had zero squealing. first time it has been quiet since I bought the bike back in November 2015. belt is aligned, tension is good, not riding the rear pulley flange, but it is dead against the outer flange on the front pulley. don't know how long this "cure" will work, prolly until it gets good and wet and starts making suds! the squealing was only on left hand turns and accelerating out of them. I tried the dab of grease thing, tried belt dressing and even a wax based chain lube. nothing worked til I used the soap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    out on a ride a few weeks ago met an oldtimer bike mechanic/builder. he heard the belt on my 2012 rts squeal as I pulled in beside his and his friends matching Indians. told me to get rid of the squeal to jack the bike up, start it, put it in 1st gear and take a bar of bath soap to the edges of the belt. well I did that over the weekend. was able to get the bike out today for a short ride across town and back and had zero squealing. first time it has been quiet since I bought the bike back in November 2015. belt is aligned, tension is good, not riding the rear pulley flange, but it is dead against the outer flange on the front pulley. don't know how long this "cure" will work, prolly until it gets good and wet and starts making suds! the squealing was only on left hand turns and accelerating out of them. I tried the dab of grease thing, tried belt dressing and even a wax based chain lube. nothing worked til I used the soap.
    That has been used for a long time on belts. Sometimes the simple things makes a big difference. This might help others with a squeaking belt.
    David

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually BRP had a bulletin on this. They said to put a small dot of grease on the belt. I did it many times on our 2012 RTL.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Actually BRP had a bulletin on this. They said to put a small dot of grease on the belt. I did it many times on our 2012 RTL.
    yeah, me to. it didn't do a bit of good on mine.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

The grease bit was from the teeth mating with the sprocket . The belt rubbing the flange is different. There were some engines not aligned right and the belts could not be aligned right. That was some time ago. The soap trick works...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

well, I was right. as soon as I got caught in the rain the soap turned to suds and now the belt is squealing on the outer edge of the front pulley again. what a p.i.t.a these things are. something is discombuberated!