Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air scoops

Spyder Garage

ok, order the kit, wife will not be to happy I spent $80 but I think it's worth for the comfort.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Randy McClure View Post
    ok, order the kit, wife will not be to happy I spent $80 but I think it's worth for the comfort.
    Definitely. I have it on both my '14 RTLs. Wife is very happy she can now keep her phone, lipstick, etc in glove compartment without a meltdown.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Randy PM me your E-mail address and I’ll send you the instructions I developed to install the scoops.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    Randy PM me your E-mail address and I’ll send you the instructions I developed to install the scoops.
    I took Doc up on this offer myself when I went to install my scoop kit. It helped quite a bit. I've got some addendums to that if you want them. Wait until you get the scoop kit first though, or the instructions won't make a lot of sense.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Definitely. I have it on both my '14 RTLs. Wife is very happy she can now keep her phone, lipstick, etc in glove compartment without a meltdown.
    Will do thanks!

Spyder Garage

Can the scoops be painted? I assume they come in black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can the scoops be painted? I assume they come in black
    They're a two-tone flat and glossy black plastic. So, yes, they can be painted.

Air scoop.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-10-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're a two-tone flat and glossy black plastic. So, yes, they can be painted.

Air scoop.jpg
    bump with picture
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've seen some that have been painted: it makes them appear as if they had always been on the bike; not just an add-on!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just posted a standalone thread about cockpit heat. I did a search for "heat" before posting and this did not come up.

My wife has a 2017 RT and the heat in the cockpit area is tremendous. It makes her physically ill sometimes when riding. Will these scoops fix that? We live and travel in an RV and I don't have access to a lot of tools so would this be something I could install myself or would I need a local dealer to have the work done?

Will the part number 219800388 fit a 2017 RT?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    Just posted a standalone thread about cockpit heat. I did a search for "heat" before posting and this did not come up.

My wife has a 2017 RT and the heat in the cockpit area is tremendous. It makes her physically ill sometimes when riding. Will these scoops fix that? We live and travel in an RV and I don't have access to a lot of tools so would this be something I could install myself or would I need a local dealer to have the work done?

Will the part number 219800388 fit a 2017 RT?
    When I installed these on our two 2014RTs, it made a noticeable difference in cockpit heat while moving. For the scoops to work they need air flow. However, the kit also includes heat shield foam pieces that attach to the side body panels just in front of your legs, and they do a good job of keeping the engine heat off the panels.

I believe they would fit the 2017 because I think there has been no relevant change in the RT body during the model years.

The installation is pretty straightforward except for enlarging the hole where the OEM vent (under the mirror) is removed. You can get away with not enlarging the hole, but air flow will be accordingly restricted. To enlarge the hole requires cutting the body plastic with something; I used a dremel.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

bump with picture
    Anyone know where I could find the cover that goes on the hole where we have the screew. I lost one on one side.
    thanks
    Bernard
    Last edited by BernardD; 05-12-2018 at 02:59 AM.
    Ride safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    Anyone know where I could find the cover that goes on the hole where we have the screen. I lost one on one side. thanks Bernard
    I'm not sure which one you're talking about. Can you take a picture of where it's missing?

Also, which model and year is yours?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've seen some that have been painted: it makes them appear as if they had always been on the bike; not just an add-on!
    I think I'm going to paint all of it a high glass black. Hard to find the pearl white without paying a high price.
    I'm cheap! LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I'm going to paint all of it a high glass black. Hard to find the pearl white without paying a high price. I'm cheap! LOL
    I like the flat black at the back of the scoops because I don't like reflections. But, that's me. And, living in a bright sun state.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure which one you're talking about. Can you take a picture of where it's missing?

Also, which model and year is yours?
    I have 2013 RTS
    I circled where it is missing. This is normally covered so you do not see the head of the screew.
    E053330E-0F43-45EC-B595-8CB7859DD0D7.jpeg
    Ride safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BernardD View Post
    I have 2013 RTS
    I circled where it is missing. This is normally covered so you do not see the head of the screew.
    E053330E-0F43-45EC-B595-8CB7859DD0D7.jpeg
    Before installing the scoop kit, I had to remove the lower deflector (clear plastic) which is held in place by that screw (as I recall). Are you missing the lower deflector?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

BernardD, I too lost that bolt head cover inside the scoop. Because of their shape they're a very specific part of the kit, and I don't think you can get replacements for them. I've asked at 5 different dealerships showing them the exposed bolt head. I'm considering making a template and "wrap" that spot with carbon fiber or something.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    BernardD, I too lost that bolt head cover inside the scoop. Because of their shape they're a very specific part of the kit, and I don't think you can get replacements for them. I've asked at 5 different dealerships showing them the exposed bolt head.
    Thanks. I'd forgotten about that and didn't realize that's what he was talking about. I never installed those covers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Air Scoop Install

Just ordered my RT Vent Kit for my 2013 RTL. I've made many other cooling mods and hoping this is just one more to help tame the heat-beast!

Any of you that have installed these before that might have any helpful tips please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!

Spyder Garage

The missing bolt head covers can be ordered from BRP. There is a part number for them.
    SpyDel
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydel View Post
    The missing bolt head covers can be ordered from BRP. There is a part number for them.
    How about you provide the part number and a link to where they can be ordered? Thank you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DelBeeMan View Post
    Just ordered my RT Vent Kit for my 2013 RTL. I've made many other cooling mods and hoping this is just one more to help tame the heat-beast!

Any of you that have installed these before that might have any helpful tips please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!
    Yes on the 2013 there was a recall for heat. I believe the dealer does it free of charge along with other things the recall had. Check with them.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue