Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default sway bar

Roger
    Rreplace the sway bar asap. It will be a night and day difference of handling all around.I am now able to go around corners close to what I did with my Vulcan or Cavalcade. Tail swing in gone and it does not feel titchy anymore.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    Roger
    Rreplace the sway bar asap.
    Would you kindly try to explain to me (us) how a stiffer sway bar is going to reduce the "twitchy-ness" when going down a straight and level smooth road with no noticeable cross winds ???

That is, why will a different sway bar have any effect when there is NO sway occurring ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    Just bought a 2011 RSS SE5 with about 9000 miles.
    Rode it 120 miles home today on mostly interstate. This was the first time I had ridden a spyder.
    I am coming from a Piaggio MP3 which is also a three wheeler, but it leans like a 2 wheeler.
    I cannot say I had fun on the ride home. I was scared to death! I had to keep telling myself to relax my grip and just ride.
    Turns are frightening to me. Even slow sloping interstate ones. Let alone making a left or right turn from a stop.
    What am I doing wrong? I feel like I am leaning in to the turn, but it feels like I am either going to fly off or tip over.
    Going straight I feel like I am weaving..
    How long does it take to get used to this?

Also, I will have to be storing this outside for the time being. I need a cover for outdoors. I have a top case, saddlebags, and I tall windscreen. Anyone have any recommendations on a cover that can accommodate these things?
    Remember to hold the handle bars with a soft touch. Think about holding 2 eggs in you hand and squeezing just hard enough without breaking the eggs. I had to learn this after coming off 2 wheels. Relax the grip and enjoy the ride.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder purchase and to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    Also, has anyone hooked up a GPS to this model? Where and how?
    I see nobody addressed this question. I would suggest looking at the Lamonster Garage web site and check out a cell phone holder. I bought what I thought was the perfect solution, a cell phone holder from them that replaced the top bracket of my handlebar holder, but I see LaMonster has even cooler things now.

In my case what made his solution good (I like his F3 Dual Power Pate with X-Grip more) was that it mounted to the middle of my handlebar holder, which is the perfect placement. I had my dealer run a cable up up to my handlebar with an sae plug for my battery tender (not trickle charge). I then use an sae to usb converter (Walmart and my dealer is cheaper, but one example https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...ct_top?ie=UTF8). I then run a usb cable to my phone.

Spyder Garage

Default sway bar

Easyrider
    If the road is perfectly flat, no dips and no wind, it will handle pretty good. However most roads have dips, cracks, etc. and it will cause the bike to move about because of rocking or body roll. Every time there is a bit of body roll it causes the steering to interact in such a way that it induces feedback to the wheels, which then causes it to weave a little. also body roll causes the rider to move a little and then move the handlebars slightly, also causing the bike to weave slightly. The heavier sway bar just plain stiffens up the side to side movement. All who have put them on have found that out. If you are comfortable with yours as is, then keep it that way. If you want a more stable ride it will help a lot. But as said before, alignment and tires also make a big difference.
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Would you kindly try to explain to me (us) how a stiffer sway bar is going to reduce the "twitchy-ness" when going down a straight and level smooth road with no noticeable cross winds ???

That is, why will a different sway bar have any effect when there is NO sway occurring ??
    I said the exact same thing. It does make a difference. I had put new car tires on, Centrimatic wheel balancers, Doc's belt tension er, and laser alignment. I ride alone and only weight 150 pounds so I said I did not need the sway bar there was no way it would handle any better. I was told different. I had to see so I purchased and installed it. I can not believe how it did improve even on a straight highway. It just seems like the bike is more planted to the road. Where it really helps in in the wind meeting and passing trucks and all cornering. It is worth the money and it is not that hard to install.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

As you can see from all of these replies:

1. Your experience is a common "first impression" for anyone coming from another bike/trike platform.

2. You can respond to it in 2 very different ways:

a. Lighten up on the handle bars and push with the outside foot. Keep your knees tucked to the tank (not hard, but don't let them drift out). This is opposite a 2-wheeler and the same as riding quads and snow mobiles.
    b. Spend a bunch of time and money on unnecessary after-market replacement parts to make the trike less responsive than it was designed to be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    b. Spend a bunch of time and money on unnecessary after-market replacement parts to make the trike less responsive than it was designed to be.
    Your opinion.

Apparently not shared by most Spyder owners.

I don't consider a feeling of darting back and forth from side to side while I want it to go straight as a measure of "responsiveness".

Spyder Garage

Firstly don't worry that it doesn't feel right at first. When I first bought my Spyder I thought I'd made a big mistake. Fortunately I had a long ride home (350km) and that gave me a chance to begin to adapt to this very different machine. Even then things didn't really click together until I'd done 600km or so.

The riding style are very important and its worth trying different approaches to see what works. My personally I move around a lot on my RS, moving into and forward on corners and the RS seat curved shape does help make it easy move around like this. However some other riders prefer to sit still and just use the foot push approach mentioned, its whatever works for you.

I would make no changes to your Spyder until you've got your ride style sorted and have got a feel for how it handles. Once your familiar with the feel you can start making changes and will instantly know if its a positive or negative difference.

The frontend of the Spyder is very sensitive to changes and these can make a big difference to the ride and how in control you feel. Work out a little test route from your home and then...

I'd start with tire pressures as its a the cost-free answer. First thing is to make sure your front tire pressures are identical, even a small difference can make a big difference to the ride. Then try them with 15 and then 18psi. See if there's one pressure that's better than the other you can then try fine tuning it.

Next thing is the front suspension. Check that on both sides the suspension is set the same and the adjusters are not damaged (a common issue). Now jack the front up and adjust so the suspension is on its hardest setting - always adjust the suspension with the front wheels jacked off the ground, people don't which is why the adjusters get damaged. Go for a test ride, then go down a couple of notches and try it again. Use this to work out what works best for you. Initially I had mine on the hardest to stop the sway in corners but then took it down a notch after fitting the sway bar.

I waiting until I'd done 2000km before fitting a sway bar and I'm so pleased I did. This meant I could really appreciate the difference it made because I had a good feel by then on how it handled.

Finally check your front tires and how they are wearing. If you see uneven wear e.g. the insides or outsides more worn then you'll need to get a laser alignment done. On mine I began to see wear on the inside at around 10,000km, the laser guy said it wasn't out by much but after being adjusted it made a big improvement.

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your posts and suggestions! It is helping me tremendously!
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The two things that definitely improved the ride of my 2012 was Elka shocks , Bajaron swaybar. Oh and a laser alignment, so three. The Spyder factory alignment is usually off. Put as most suggest above, relaxing your grip and getting some miles under your belt will help a lot!
    You will enjoy it more and more with the miles.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ride Holly good advice from everyone keep in mind that the bike will be a little squirley when there is a high crown in the road it will push you around if the steering is a little hard add 2 lbs to your air pressure on the front it will make it a lot easier in the turns that's what the wife tells me anyway and you will get used to it hang in there
    Last edited by sylvester; 05-13-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Your opinion.

Apparently not shared by most Spyder owners.

I don't consider a feeling of darting back and forth from side to side while I want it to go straight as a measure of "responsiveness".
    Everything here is just our opinions. That's what the OP asked for.

My opinion is which to change first, not either-or. I probably wasn't clear about that. I have 1 equipment mod and will add the handle bar riser and floorboards soon.

As for the majority rules principle, I've been teaching/coaching/training physical skills professionally for over 35 years and I am of the opinion that 9 of 10 people would prefer to throw money at problems and blame equipment for them instead of changing the way they do stuff, and that it is just common sense to approach a problem by changing 1 thing at a time, starting from simplest/cheapest and progressing to the most difficult and expensive until the problem is solved.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My opinion is which to change first, not either-or. I probably wasn't clear about that.
    And it still is not clear.....at least to me.

Since you don't list it in your signature (only place to do that), what model do you ride ?

And then, what hardware changes DO you recommend, if any ??

And....it's not just a few percentage points sway with the opinions.
    It seems to me that the VAST majority of riders seem to think that alignment, sway bar and tires EACH provide an incremental improvement with the ride perception. And in a case like this, perception IS reality......for each individual.

Your opinion seems dangerously close to: "It's not a problem for ME so those who think it is a problem are obviously wrong somehow."

Spyder Garage

And it still is not clear.....at least to me.

Since you don't list it in your signature (only place to do that), what model do you ride ?

And then, what hardware changes DO you recommend, if any ??

And....it's not just a few percentage points sway with the opinions.
    It seems to me that the VAST majority of riders seem to think that alignment, sway bar and tires EACH provide an incremental improvement with the ride perception. And in a case like this, perception IS reality......for each individual.

Your opinion seems dangerously close to: "It's not a problem for ME so those who think it is a problem are obviously wrong somehow."
    Only to someone looking for an argument.

I ride a 2012 RTSE5. Skid plate. And I'll be adding the handle bar riser and running boards soon. Those are the only functional mods to my trike. The riser is being added in part to make it easier for me to stay light on the controls. I'm tall. All other customization of my Spyder is cosmetic. I even removed 2 after-market cup holders when I bought it and I run factory spec tires. I don't "recommend" ANY performance modifications as some sort of base line that assumes the trikes are deficient from the factory. Mods are customizations, not improvements. In other words, a specific mod may be an improvement for YOU, but undesirable to the next rider.

I do not disagree that a laser alignment, upgraded sway bar, or different tires/tire pressure won't make incremental changes to the handling of the trike. That would be a ridiculous assertion. Whether or not these changes are desirable to a given rider is subjective. But they are equally ridiculous recommendations to a newbie who just rode one home from the dealership. In my world, you make activity modifications first. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, then you might need to make equipment modifications. Further, I am well aware...as almost all of us are...that the "lighten up on the handlebars and push with the outside foot" thing is counter-intuitive to people who have ridden bicycles and motorcycles a lot and almost always yields significant positive results. For many people, this change in technique results in confident control of the Spyder and they can forego sway bar and tire upgrades. This truth doesn't sell gear, which means less ad revenue and fewer "festivals." Doesn't mean it isn't TRUE. Just means it isn't POPULAR.

In my opinion, 9 in 10 people prefer to spend $$$ to swap gear ad nauseum instead of admitting that they may be doing something the wrong way and retrain themselves. I see it all the time in every sport I've ever coached: shooting, hunting, fishing, martial arts, running, paddle sports, sailing, tennis, golf...same-same.

No matter how expensive your mouth guard is, it is still going to hurt when you get punched in the mouth...especially if you keep your mouth open, lead with your jaw, or tilt your head back reflexively as the blow lands. So I don't keep selling people progressively more expensive mouth guards or head gear. Instead, I teach them to close their mouth and breathe through their nose, tuck the chin, and side-slip the attack aimed at their noggin. I teach them to avoid getting socked in the mouth. I don't encourage beginners to wear heavy duty head gear when sparring, because it makes one lazy about protecting one's head and doesn't allow you to use your vision and hearing fully in close combat.

I teach people to cast a $100 fly rod well before I ever suggest they might get a BIT better performance from a $500 fly rod. Why? Simple: if you don't get the bio-mechanics right, it won't matter how much you spend on gear. This is true with EVERY physical skill known to mankind. A more accurate rifle and better optics won't make you shoot better unless you are already an excellent marksman. And I am keenly aware that 9 of 10 people disagree with me on this.

If Holly doesn't get it under control after a few weeks and decides to spend some money on mods, I'm all for it. I hope she buys from site sponsors and pays to have the work done at an authorized dealership. But I've gotten quite a few PMs and had a number of in person conversations where a new Spyder owner thanked me (even bought me an adult beverage once) for explaining to them that the Spyder has to be ridden like an ATV (4 wheeler) or Snowmobile, not like a motorcycle. 100% of my customizations have been purchased from site sponsors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only to someone looking for an argument.

In my opinion, 9 in 10 people prefer to spend $$$ to swap gear ad nauseum instead of admitting that they may be doing something the wrong way and retrain themselves. I see it all the time in every sport I've ever coached: shooting, hunting, fishing, martial arts, running, paddle sports, sailing, tennis, golf...same-same.

If Holly doesn't get it under control after a few weeks and decides to spend some money on mods, I'm all for it.
    I am NOT looking for an argument, at least not just for the sake of yelling.

I have ridden 2 wheels for a bit over 50 years and am now trying to get comfortable on my new Spyder.

I've put about 3K on it and while the ride is better, it still is not "right" for me and if the owner recommended changes don't improve it significantly it might go up for sale. I ride for enjoyment and can't say that I really enjoy the experience now.

You are over generalizing with the "the problem CAN'T be ME....." sermon and your blind insistence that it is not possible that there are slight engineering flaws with the Spyder is not helping anybody out.

There is a LOT of "fodder" to wade through to get to that last sentence above.
    It shouldn't be like that.

Here's my sermon for you: Dismissing the considered opinions of so many other people who have no motive to be biased is doing nobody any favors. It comes across as "My opinion is the only one that counts.".......until the very end where you finally admit that there might be some validity in the opinions that you are dismissing after all.

Do I think that new owners should have to make mechanical modifications to feel comfortable with a $30,000 machine ??
    Hell NO. But if that is the reality, I (and others) need to accept it or get out.

Spyder Garage

Actually, this was the main point of everything I've said:

But I've gotten quite a few PMs and had a number of in person conversations where a new Spyder owner thanked me (even bought me an adult beverage once) for explaining to them that the Spyder has to be ridden like an ATV (4 wheeler) or Snowmobile, not like a motorcycle.

You've admitted, yourself, that $3k worth of equipment mods aimed at this haven't resulted in satisfaction. So why...exactly...are you still arguing with me?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've admitted, yourself, that $3k worth of equipment mods aimed at this haven't resulted in satisfaction. So why...exactly...are you still arguing with me?
    Is this message aimed at ME ??

I have done or said no such thing.
    I have not spent a penny on any modifications......yet.

Your advice is indeed PART of the solution.
    For some, it might be the whole solution.

But for others it is NOT the whole solution and the reason doesn't really matter much.

You don't seem to have the ability to admit that your "solution" to the problem is not the only one.
    People are different and some can NOT change, especially their physical abilities no matter how much they want to.
    Your demeanor in this discussion is insulting.

I quit. This is ridiculous.

Spyder Garage

Default haven`t forgotten holley !

I have not forgotten the ride around , { looks like Saturday will be a nice day for a ride } will check we you !

Spyder Garage

Is this message aimed at ME ??

I have done or said no such thing.
    I have not spent a penny on any modifications......yet.

Your advice is indeed PART of the solution.
    For some, it might be the whole solution.

But for others it is NOT the whole solution and the reason doesn't really matter much.

You don't seem to have the ability to admit that your "solution" to the problem is not the only one.
    People are different and some can NOT change, especially their physical abilities no matter how much they want to.
    Your demeanor in this discussion is insulting.

I quit. This is ridiculous.
    I misread your reply regarding putting 3k on it. I read $3k. Sorry.

I don't have a "demeanor" when I write, but I do have 2 non-fiction best-sellers under my belt.

I clearly see at this point that you are angry/frustrated with yourself and deflecting that on others. Maybe a Spyder isn't the thing for you.

My dad was a very good driver, but he hated sports cars and compacts with a passion. He always drove "gunboat" cars...full sized sedans with that lazy smooth ride and very poor handling characteristics. He would say, "That rides like a little red wagon," and shake his head with a frown of disgust. Didn't matter if it was a Mustang, Corvette, BMW, or Audi Coupe GT. He hated them all. I've met people who hate driving pick-up trucks. People have preferences...even prejudices. Mostly, that's about what someone is "used to." There is nothing wrong with the Spyder. They are not under-built or poorly designed. They are, however, different. I often run into this in coaching adaptive sports. Wrist brace X might be perfect for this guy and totally inappropriate for the next guy with a similar injury. The first guy thinks it is the best brace in the world and that mfg can do no wrong, while the next fella thinks the company sucks and won't trust anything they make.

People frequently get mad at people who tell them the truth instead of what they want to hear. If you want to do a bunch of equipment mods before giving up on a Spyder just do it. Let us know how it works out. I'm inclined to agree that after 3k miles on the trike, if you are still having issues with handling you need to do something. If you don't feel confident and comfortable, that's a problem! But the only reasons I have paid any attention to your argumentative replies were a) the OP was from a new owner crossing platforms and I don't want them to be misled by someone with personal issues, and b) I was hoping you'd realize that there was nothing I actually wrote that anyone around here BUT YOU would take issue with, and maybe that would help YOU with whatever was eating you. But now it's getting tiresome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I clearly see at this point that you are angry/frustrated with yourself and deflecting that on others.

People frequently get mad at people who tell them the truth instead of what they want to hear.

I was hoping you'd realize that there was nothing I actually wrote that anyone around here BUT YOU would take issue with, and maybe that would help YOU with whatever was eating you. But now it's getting tiresome.
    Tiresome indeed.
    MANY people cannot recognize their own biases.......and this is a perfect example.

MANY people in this forum have already "taken issue" with your theory but I assume they are smart enough to not waste their time trying to point out the bias in your post(s).

MANY people have also pointed out the "human factor" in the problem......as a starting point and not as an end point to the exclusion of all other possibilities.

I am trying to learn to shut up in situations like this......but I'm not always successful.

Was either of those books you wrote about introspection ??
    Probably not.

As for having a "demeanor" in your writing, you absolutely do, at least in this thread.
    It is DRIPPING with condescension.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 05-16-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder's Are Great Machines but they do need tuned a little.

I have read all the posts on this thread. Believed me there is a couple on here that are way above me with their education and theory. I feel that most of the people on here purchase their Spyder for the same reason I have. I have been riding motorcycles for over 60 years. I purchased this Spyder to be able to tour comfortably and enjoy it as I did on all the motorcycles I have owned.

I purchased a 2015 RT that had 10,200 miles on it. This was the first used motorcycle I have ever purchased. The reason I did not purchase a new one I was not sure I would like a Spyder. I have rode motorcycles long enough that no one has to tell me how to lean what foot to push and all the other twist you have to do to make a turn. Where I purchased it was over 80 miles from my home. I had never test rode one or even set on one until I purchased it. I traded a 2015 Gold Wing F6B for it. I made the deal for it and the Honda dealer started it up for me. He said he did not know anything about Spyders. I left his shop and about three blocks down the street I stop at a red light and just fooling around with it I shut the motor off. Light changed it would not start it was dead. I had traffic backed up. I call the dealer on my cell phone and by the time he got on the phone which was a while. I had shut the switch off. He told me you have to turn the switch on and wait for a little while then push mod button then hold the brake to start it. That was my first experience. It was a windy day and going home it was all over the road and no body showed me how to use the speed control so I rode all way home without the speed control. I knew as many Spyder’s there were on the road and the amount of people purchasing them that it was not right. I read the manual and the first thing I learned how the speed control worked. I started checking tire pleasure. One front tire had 8 pounds and the other had 12 pounds and the rear had 18 pounds and not much tread. I aired the tires correctly and put air in the air bag under the seat. I took it for a ride the next day and it sure rode different but I knew they rode better than it did or people would not be buying them.

Then I found Spyderlovers website and that has been my biggest help. There are some very intelligent people on here. I have been a mechanic, machinist and tool die maker all my life so I can do all my own service accept in the computer which does worry me a little. I did take the front tires off and had them balanced. I purchase two lasers and figured out how to align the front wheels with the rear. These lasers cost me a little over $100.00. There is one gentleman on this website that shown me how to calibrate the lasers and how he lined his. I do have a couple videos on You Tube that show how I do it. It may be right or may be wrong. But mind handles great.

I know there are a couple people on that think you are just throwing away money by adding sway bar, car tires, belt tensioner and central balancers. Like I said in this earlier I purchase this Spyder to tour on comfortable.

I spend $755.00 total for Car Tires, Central balancers, belt tensioner and sway bar. Car tires I was going to need any way that was $99.00 and you don’t really have to have the balances’ if you balance the tires. That is another $299.00. So $357.00 will make any Spyder handle much better. I don’t know what they charge for Laser alignment because I did my own but it is important.

I have put right at 10,000 miles on my Spyder since I got it. Believe me if they do not handle right there is something wrong and it is probably nothing serious. If everything is right they will track straight down the road and you will find which way to lean yourself in a very short time. You just have too learn to relax.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I am not a mechanic or race car driver, but I do know this. Most vehicles that hit the street (cars or motorcycles) have performance/handling mods that can be done. It doesn't mean that there is anything defiecient with it, it just means that there are improvements that can be made. Make them faster on the top end or start, handle better in curves, smooth out the ride, etc. That is part of what makes vehicle ownership fun, fix it up just the way you want it. Customize it for your particular likes and passions. There have been upgrades for Gold Wings and Victory's and Kawasaki's (my previous bikes). In no way can one conclude that a vehicle is deficient because you can make faster or handle better. Well, in my opinion anyway.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Hi Holly welcome to the world. Others have said to read the Do's and Don'ts page and I agree with that. When some one else suggested finding an industrial park and practice certain moves, I remembered that no one ever mentions this but there is a "learn to ride your Spyder" section in your owner's manual. It also tells you how to lay out a practice course and certain moves you might want to work on. It really helped me to practice some of those when I first got my Spyder.

Ride often post early and post often and post pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze