Thread: Lost key

Spyder Garage

Default Lost key

I live in Virginia Beach, so called dealer in Chesapeake, that I’ve purchased parts from, and had maintenance done with for 3 years. They said they had key, ( I had a spare), come over and get blank, go get it cut, and then I needed to have it programmed, it will be 60 for key, and 100 dollars to program it. I said I’d be right over, get it cut, and bring it right back with bike, to get it programmed. No, no, we can’t do that now, you’ll have to leave it, it will probably be 3 weeks at least to get it programmed, were that far out. I said no way you could squeeze it in, nope. I called dealer in Newport News, 35 miles away, they said we have key, come get it, get it cut, and bring it back and we’ll program it, 50 for key, 40 to program it. I’d say that All out Cycle in Chesapeake, has lost a customer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    I live in Virginia Beach, so called dealer in Chesapeake, that I’ve purchased parts from, and had maintenance done with for 3 years. They said they had key, ( I had a spare), come over and get blank, go get it cut, and then I needed to have it programmed, it will be 60 for key, and 100 dollars to program it. I said I’d be right over, get it cut, and bring it right back with bike, to get it programmed. No, no, we can’t do that now, you’ll have to leave it, it will probably be 3 weeks at least to get it programmed, were that far out. I said no way you could squeeze it in, nope. I called dealer in Newport News, 35 miles away, they said we have key, come get it, get it cut, and bring it back and we’ll program it, 50 for key, 40 to program it. I’d say that All out Cycle in Chesapeake, has lost a customer.
    I live in Iowa. I have only one key so I have been checking around my area. One dealer wanted $130.00 for the key and programming it. I found another dealer that said they have key blanks in stock and they were $50.00 and they had a place to have it cut he did not say what they charge for cutting it but it should not be very much. He said they charge $30.00 to program it and they would do it anytime if I would just let them know when I was coming. He said it just takes a few minutes. The only delay is that they cannot cut the key and I would have to get the blank from them and take it to who ever cuts it for them. I have checked every where on the internet for key blanks. I have found several places and they were all priced for $50.00. You can find them on Ebay or Amazon. Sounds like a lot for just a key blank.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement key

Lost one of my original keys in a house fire. Picked up a replacement from dealer who also cut the blank for about $58 including tax. Didn't have bike so could not get it programed at that time. Other day rode to the dealer for a promotional thing they were having and noticed that the service dept. was still open so stopped by to ask if I needed to make an appointment to get key program and they said if I had it with me they could do it then and it would be $42 since they had to hook up to Buds. 20 min later i got the bill, 42 to program, $4.20 shop supplies. Still trying to figure out what kind of shop supplies you need to program a key.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I live in Iowa. I have only one key so I have been checking around my area. One dealer wanted $130.00 for the key and programming it. I found another dealer that said they have key blanks in stock and they were $50.00 and they had a place to have it cut he did not say what they charge for cutting it but it should not be very much. He said they charge $30.00 to program it and they would do it anytime if I would just let them know when I was coming. He said it just takes a few minutes. The only delay is that they cannot cut the key and I would have to get the blank from them and take it to who ever cuts it for them. I have checked every where on the internet for key blanks. I have found several places and they were all priced for $50.00. You can find them on Ebay or Amazon. Sounds like a lot for just a key blank.
    The keys were changed in 2014. For prior years you could buy a blank that could be cloned to act exactly like a BRP key. No longer. The Spyder keys are 100% proprietary and no one has succeeded in reverse engineering the algorithm used in the key. That's why you can only buy a replacement from a dealer. The keys are made with a unique ID code programmed in. What the dealer has to do is go into the DESS using BUDS and tell the DESS that such & such a key is permitted to operate the Spyder. There is no real programming, per se, done. It's kind of like typing in a new number into an Excel spreadsheet list of numbers. Takes about 5 minutes!

An option if you really don't want to spend the money for a chipped key and are willing to gamble that you won't lose your real key. Get a plain key blank, ILCO 270, and have it cut to match. You can use it to open the trunk. If you ever do lose your real key you can use the plain key to cut a new chipped key. Then the dealer can program the new key into the DESS. This is not an option with 2013 & earlier. For those one chipped key is absolutely needed to add a new key into the DESS, and you must have at least 2 chip keys when you program them into the DESS.

Compared to other chipped keys the price is reasonable. Something like 15 years ago my brother was quoted $150 to $200 for a chipped Cadillac key.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The keys were changed in 2014. For prior years you could buy a blank that could be cloned to act exactly like a BRP key. No longer. The Spyder keys are 100% proprietary and no one has succeeded in reverse engineering the algorithm used in the key. That's why you can only buy a replacement from a dealer. The keys are made with a unique ID code programmed in. What the dealer has to do is go into the DESS using BUDS and tell the DESS that such & such a key is permitted to operate the Spyder. There is no real programming, per se, done. It's kind of like typing in a new number into an Excel spreadsheet list of numbers. Takes about 5 minutes!

An option if you really don't want to spend the money for a chipped key and are willing to gamble that you won't lose your real key. Get a plain key blank, ILCO 270, and have it cut to match. You can use it to open the trunk. If you ever do lose your real key you can use the plain key to cut a new chipped key. Then the dealer can program the new key into the DESS. This is not an option with 2013 & earlier. For those one chipped key is absolutely needed to add a new key into the DESS, and you must have at least 2 chip keys when you program them into the DESS.

Compared to other chipped keys the price is reasonable. Something like 15 years ago my brother was quoted $150 to $200 for a chipped Cadillac key.
    If I understand you right. If I find a ILCO 270 key blank and have it cut from my original key then if I was to lose my original key I could get a Spyder Key at that time and they could cut it and then have it so call programmed to work in the Spyder?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    If I understand you right. If I find a ILCO 270 key blank and have it cut from my original key then if I was to lose my original key I could get a Spyder Key at that time and they could cut it and then have it so call programmed to work in the Spyder?
    Yes. Of course if you lose your key 200 miles from a dealer who has to order one in, you'd probably wish you'd just have gone ahead and sprung for a real key right off the bat!

I carry an ILCO key behind the mirror and a real key behind the pax backrest. I can unlock the seat, retrieve a torx driver, open the trunk, take off the backrest, and retrieve the real key. May be a hassle but sure beats walking ten miles!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    Lost one of my original keys in a house fire. Picked up a replacement from dealer who also cut the blank for about $58 including tax. Didn't have bike so could not get it programed at that time. Other day rode to the dealer for a promotional thing they were having and noticed that the service dept. was still open so stopped by to ask if I needed to make an appointment to get key program and they said if I had it with me they could do it then and it would be $42 since they had to hook up to Buds. 20 min later i got the bill, 42 to program, $4.20 shop supplies. Still trying to figure out what kind of shop supplies you need to program a key.
    Two cokes for the programmers. One to read the directions, and one to do the actual work. The additional is foreman time--that's an admn fee added on to everything.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes. Of course if you lose your key 200 miles from a dealer who has to order one in, you'd probably wish you'd just have gone ahead and sprung for a real key right off the bat!

I carry an ILCO key behind the mirror and a real key behind the pax backrest. I can unlock the seat, retrieve a torx driver, open the trunk, take off the backrest, and retrieve the real key. May be a hassle but sure beats walking ten miles!
    You are right I think I will go a head and get a key made for it but I think I will do like you and have a extra key to open the storage compartments. I found the ILCO 270 key bland is a Jeep key blank. Thanks for the information.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    $4.20 shop supplies. Still trying to figure out what kind of shop supplies you need to program a key.
    Electricity ??

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Pre-2014 life was simple...an aprilla key blank online for 6.00 and Kwik keys to cut and clone 25.00 and you were good to go. Now you are at the mercy of the Dealer and BRP who feel this is worth in diamonds. But the Audi TT replacement key was $400.00
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

hoping I'm wrong here but isn't there an X missing
    Ilco X270 for the chip-less blank. Opens seat & frunk where a proper spare can be stashed
    also I've talked with these guys about the newer keys & they said should not be a problem. I have one on my 13 that is great for me hope they can do the same for you

https://www.mykeyport.com/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    hoping I'm wrong here but isn't there an X missing
    Why are you hoping you're wrong? Aren't you like the rest of us who get some sort of sinister pleasure by pointing out someone else's screw ups????

You're right! It's ILCO X270!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Run-around

Sorry that you had to go through this run-around over a key. It took me about 6 weeks to get a key from RideNow Tucson. I normally go to Sierra Cycles, but I thought surly that RideNow Tucson could do something as simple as a key. Wrong! They had to order a key, as they don't keep them in stock, and then ordered the wrong key. I got the first key and took it to Ace for cutting and they guy from Ace tells me that he thinks they've given me the wrong key. I go back to the dealer, and after more run-around and head-scratching, they decide they've ordered the wrong key. Another order, go to Ace again, make an appointment for programming, and finally a 2nd working key.

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

If you turn off DESS, the Ilco X270 key will work in the ignition too.

I carry a spare in my billfold.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The Spyder keys are 100% proprietary and no one has succeeded in reverse engineering the algorithm used in the key. That's why you can only buy a replacement from a dealer.
    FYI this is no longer true. Since then just like cars they can be cloned in the proper sequence. You just need to find someone with the latest programmer and code to do it. BRP did not make a new key technology just like they didn't prior to 2014. They just used a technology already used in cars.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black