Spyder Garage

Default 2011 rt steering problem

Before I take to a dealer has anyone had this problem ? My steering has suddenly become very stiff , no codes showing of any kind .Tire pressure is fine . If the electric motor was bad I assume it would show a code of some kind ?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT-S and had the same symptoms. Also, mine actually felt like it was fighting against me in the turns. Several members told me to check the battery connections because this unit uses a lot of power and draws its power almost directly from the battery. I was slow to take this advice, but finally did it and it worked. Start with the easy ones, the + and - at the battery. Then the main ground under the seat on the other side of the battery. If that doesn't get it, you may have to remove the frunk in order to access the power connection at the power steering itself. If you do this yourself, the cost of the fix is $0.00.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Battery connection

Quite awhile back I did have sort of the same problem and the problem then was a loose connection.Hadn't happened since until just now and the original connection problem is still tight . Hate to have to tear frunk off but if I gotta I gotta , can't ride it this way .

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    Before I take to a dealer has anyone had this problem ? My steering has suddenly become very stiff , no codes showing of any kind .Tire pressure is fine . If the electric motor was bad I assume it would show a code of some kind ?
    How old is your battery? Maybe it just doesn't have the oomph that's needed!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Not the battery

Battery is brand new ( last fall ) and battery check was fine .Rechecked the terminal again , seemed tight however it didn't feel right .Closer look showed that when they reinstalled my battery tender leads the strands on the battery cable were loose for some reason ( new fitting ???? ).Recrimped again and no longer loose .Took for a test ride on some slight curves and it worked beautifully . Was a simple problem and only lucky to find it .Really surprised it didn't cause other problems .