Spyder Garage

Default Difference in Mufflers

O.K., I need some thoughts/opinions and experience in using different
    mufflers from different motorcycles on my 2017 F3L. I am looking to
    change the muffler on my spyder. What I have now is not stock and the cat is gone.
    Justification for this is that I have complains from my neighborhood and a patrolman
    from up the street (not to mention my wife) that although my exhaust may be legal,
    it is just a little too loud for my early morning jaunts. So, would a Harleys OEM exhaust
    have an engineering difference than a 4, 3 or other 2 cylinder motor with a 1000 to
    1700 CC's? The reasoning for this question is that there are a bunch of Harley mufflers
    on Craigslist that can be purchased very reasonable so I can play around with the sound.
    I am not looking for sewing machine quiet but I need to knock the BARK off what I have
    now. I have tried different baffles and they did not make a noticeable difference.
    Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Oh, almost forgot, the s/w is going
    to be remapped in a few weeks so whatever I wind up with will need good flow.

The downside of all this is I may be beating a dead horse!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default 3 baffels

Hi Dray, I found my combination for sport and quite when needed. Cat delete with a resonator, three in line baffles with an open after market exhaust.. Really nice rumble cackle for deceleration. Pretty quiet down low and not too loud on top.
    I rode with some Harley's today and I couldn't here my bike at all.
    Hyperone and I have about the same set up. pm either of us if you want the recipe?
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Hi Dray, I found my combination for sport and quite when needed. Cat delete with a resonator, three in line baffles with an open after market exhaust.. Really nice rumble cackle for deceleration. Pretty quiet down low and not too loud on top.
    Hyperone and I have about the same set up. pm either of us if you want the recipe?
    Dennis
    This! We have slightly different setups using different mufflers, same mid-pipe and 2 vs 3 baffles. Dennis' setup is more closely aligned to your F3L and with using the Touring version of the Akrapovic I bet you could find nirvana like we did.... WE BOTH LOVE OUR END RESULTS!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys for your help. Gonna play with the baffles and see what I can accomplish.

Thanks again!

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default A different muffler question... if I may...

I am looking for sewing machine quiet... tired of wearing ear plugs. Trying to decide if I just need a new muffler or if there are quieter options for a 2013 RT limited?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

After hem hawing around for a while now, I picked up a Harley muffler from a friend , cut off the stainless
    muffler, made up some support brackets for the Harley muffler, bolted in place and welded it to the cat delete
    pipe. To say I am pleased (not to mention my wife) is a mild understatement. Got a nice rumble with no bark
    and picked up a little backpressure that has improved the power down low. The Harley came off a ultra glide
    (I think) was about 32" long and 4" in diameter. I cut the lead in pipe off right down to the muffler body and welded
    header pipe on.

Dray

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    After hem hawing around for a while now, I picked up a Harley muffler from a friend , cut off the stainless
    muffler, made up some support brackets for the Harley muffler, bolted in place and welded it to the cat delete
    pipe. To say I am pleased (not to mention my wife) is a mild understatement. Got a nice rumble with no bark
    and picked up a little backpressure that has improved the power down low. The Harley came off a ultra glide
    (I think) was about 32" long and 4" in diameter. I cut the lead in pipe off right down to the muffler body and welded
    header pipe on.

Dray
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Difference in Mufflers - Pics

IMAG0063.jpgIMAG0060 (1).jpgIMAG0061.jpg

O.K., I had to get my grandson to load these up. Hope it helps.

Dray

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

IMAG0063.jpgIMAG0060 (1).jpgIMAG0061.jpg

O.K., I had to get my grandson to load these up. Hope it helps.

Dray
    Thank your grandson. I have mine do the heavy lifting, but I'm comfortable with the internet stuff!

Indeed! Very nice job!!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

O.K., I need some thoughts/opinions and experience in using different
    mufflers from different motorcycles on my 2017 F3L. I am looking to
    change the muffler on my spyder. What I have now is not stock and the cat is gone.
    Justification for this is that I have complains from my neighborhood and a patrolman
    from up the street (not to mention my wife) that although my exhaust may be legal,
    it is just a little too loud for my early morning jaunts. So, would a Harleys OEM exhaust
    have an engineering difference than a 4, 3 or other 2 cylinder motor with a 1000 to
    1700 CC's? The reasoning for this question is that there are a bunch of Harley mufflers
    on Craigslist that can be purchased very reasonable so I can play around with the sound.
    I am not looking for sewing machine quiet but I need to knock the BARK off what I have
    now. I have tried different baffles and they did not make a noticeable difference.
    Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Oh, almost forgot, the s/w is going
    to be remapped in a few weeks so whatever I wind up with will need good flow.

The downside of all this is I may be beating a dead horse!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dray
    For my 20 cents worth … and only IMO …. If you want a descent 'note' from your Spyder triple I'd look around to see what in YOUR opinion is a good sound 'note' FROM A TRIPLE that is made and produced by other brands …. (not twins, 4's or 6's) …

At least that gives you a suitable starting point … I'd guess … just google up triple motorcycle engine manufacturers or something similar …. Then have a closer look at those same rides with modified silencer / muffler variations on places like YouTube etc …

I gave up long ago trying to get a good (similar) sound out of a motorcycle with a different amount of cylinders to that of my ride (and that goes back at least 35 / 40 years of this stuff) .... Its just not going to happen ..

Don't just take my word for it - take a moment to compare our Spyder family of rides with their 2 and 3 cylinder variants … No way in hell am I ever going to achieve the beautiful sweet note and sound the 2 cylinder Spyder owners do by using their same set ups from my 3 cylinder 2017 F3-T … Your ride needs your fix, not a wannabee off a differently built (cylinders) bike !

I'm sure a little bit of time for research will have you finding something that will have most 'creaming their jeans' as we used to say here …

Spyder Garage

Actually between my 2015 F3S and my now 2017 F3L i spent several months playing around with different
    mufflers before I said the heck with it and installed Spydermans stainless cat back system. I did like the sound
    of it but I am old and slowly loosing my hearing. Spyderman went out of his way trying help me out with different
    styles of baffles, In the end, between my hearing loss, my wife being unhappy and the neighborhood in general
    complaining, I went back into experiment mode. I think that for me, I came up with the best compromise. I got a
    little more power in a useable range because of better back pressure, a nice rumble running around town and GOOD
    rumble at 7000 rpm or so and did not break the bank in the process. This all said, the design of the crank in
    combination with whatever number of pistons that are being spun will mostly determine the exhaust sound.
    That and the design/size/length of pipes will have a final influence.

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated and again Have good 4th of July.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Dennis
    Quite respectfully asked …" Cat delete with a resonator, three in line baffles with an open after market exhaust.. Really nice rumble cackle for deceleration. Pretty quiet down low and not too loud on top. " … Got to ask how the hell does this poor thing breathe at all with 3 IN LINE BAFFLES and a resonator shoved up into its coit?