Spyder Garage

Question Rear Suspension Code & Sensor

I just bought a 2018 LTD. Immediately - like 15 miles from the dealer - it threw the code: "Suspension fault". I checked the pressure on the shraeder valve under the seat & it was 165 psi!!! The dealer now has it and says that the sensor needed to be adjusted. The manual says that the max pressure is 75 psi and that suspension damage could result if exceeded. I want the airbag replaced, but the dealer says that is not necessary.
    What do you suggest?? I'm supposed to get it back on Tuesday afternoon.

Spyder Garage

If the bag still holds air without any obvious ballooning out weak patches evident after being pumped up to 165 psi, then there's very likely no need to replace it!

The suspension damage that COULD result if you exceed 75 psi is that the bag MIGHT blow out or pop a leak in a 'now made obvious' weak spot, and it really doesn't sound like yours has done either! Btw, the same bag on earlier Spyders is listed as being fine running 10 to 100 psi, and IIRC the stamp on the bag itself says something like max 135 psi unladen - but there is still a fair degree of safety margin built in to that!!

The air bags under my air-bag suspension 4WD also have max 135 psi unladen marked on them, but they run exactly the same bag as those under many of the medium & duty air-suspension trucks around here; & just like on my 4By, at times those are running well in excess of 200 psi under load, especially when they hit a bump or drop a weight on the vehicle tray suddenly..... it's just that unladen, they don't generally exceed 135 psi.... well, not by too much anyway! But just like with all of them, since your bag didn't blow under the higher pressure & since it hasn't been left with a weakened anurism bulging out the side somewhere (it'd be pretty noticeable if it did!) you really shouldn't need to worry too much!! Altho if you are still concerned, just document said concerns in writing & give a copy to your dealer to notify them that if the bag DOES fail at a later date, you expect that they will replace it and make good any consequent damage entirely at their expense! That'll really let you see how concerned they are about any potential for a blowout.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpyder View Post
    I just bought a 2018 LTD. Immediately - like 15 miles from the dealer - it threw the code: "Suspension fault". I checked the pressure on the shraeder valve under the seat & it was 165 psi!!! The dealer now has it and says that the sensor needed to be adjusted. The manual says that the max pressure is 75 psi and that suspension damage could result if exceeded. I want the airbag replaced, but the dealer says that is not necessary.
    What do you suggest?? I'm supposed to get it back on Tuesday afternoon.
    I would have never guessed that the OEM compressor could put out that much pressure. It's like it ran continuously ever since you left the dealer lot. May have caused it to exceed it's duty cycle rating and overheat. You might want to see about getting the compressor replaced under warranty, or at least have a real serious discussion about it and the potential damage to it, and maybe get a ruling from BRP Care.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Post Load Weight during problem

Just thought it might be of interest to know that the load the Spyder was carrying at the time was only 145 lbs - ONLY ME! No passenger and nothing in the compartments. Absolutely no reason for the air compressor to kick in.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpyder View Post
    Just thought it might be of interest to know that the load the Spyder was carrying at the time was only 145 lbs - ONLY ME! No passenger and nothing in the compartments. Absolutely no reason for the air compressor to kick in.
    You’re right. No reason. Yes, an out of calibration sensor will cause this. Also can be caused by the sensor arm not being attached. The compressor will run and not turn off. The question becomes did it hurt anything and should any parts be replaced proactively.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238