Spyder Garage

Default How Far on a Tank of Gas

I am very curious how far one can go on one tank of gas on the F3 Limited on average?
    How long before you feel like you have to stop and stretch? <G>

Spyder Garage

Default F3

​I usually fill up at 200 miles.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

On average I get 400 Kms - 240 Mi on my 2014 RT
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I'm at 184 and light has not come on yet, thinking soon though.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tank of Gas

I Usually ride about 200 miles and then stop for Gas and some stretch Time. PS: not sure how many miles you can go before the tank is dry/engine stops running.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default My Update

I'm doing about 220 - 230 miles (no bars), filling around 6.5 gallons of premium fuel on my 2016 F3T SM6
    2016 F3T SM6 , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coffenut View Post
    I am very curious how far one can go on one tank of gas on the F3 Limited on average?
    How long before you feel like you have to stop and stretch? <G>
    Alas, this site doesn't have a dedicated place to show what year/model you have......so you need to TELL us for questions like that.
    Or put that information in your signature.

Spyder Garage

Default Variables....

Gonna depend on the many variables involved in MPG. Best is to get like ryders (in your area) info as they will be closest to your results. From what I see so far 200 seems like a good point.
    Often wonder if stopping for gas is the worst part of ryding a spyder as so many ask, wonder and complain. We like taking a brake after 100+ miles to stretch a bid snack and hydrate.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

200-240 miles sound about right. A lot depends on how much you twist the the wrist. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Gonna depend on the many variables involved in MPG...
    Whay he said! In 39,700+ miles I have averaged from a low of 29.0 (80 mph average on an interstate into a very stiff headwind to 43.7 (really behaving myself obeying speed limits and no interstates).
    Last edited by JayBros; 05-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Whay he said! In 39, 700+ miles I have averaged from a low of 29.0 (80 mph average on an interstate into a very stiff headwind to 43.7 (really behaving myself obeying speed limits and no interstates).
    I like this, but I have never gotten less than 34 mpg. Now, I regularly get over 200 miles a tank on my 2015 RT Limite, and have gotten 44.6 mpg a couple of times when I behave myself. Since having my ECU reflashned I'm getting around 40 mpg tops.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

For the F3 (1330 three) most get a bit more than 200 miles before the refill light goes on.

Not asked, but the 998 twin gets about 150 miles.

Since Linda has a 998 and I a 1330, we usually start thinking about gas around 150. When I am riding alone, I go for 200.

I have only "pushed it" once on the 998. Got 184 and was driving with the needle below empty. Not far from a gas station though.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR GAS MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2017 F3L. Nice to hear all the extremely high MPG results. I pushed our 2008 GS one time and ran out of gas. Had to wait an hour for gas. Never again. I fuel up around 140-150, depending an density of gas stations down the road, but I never fill passed the nozzle stopping on it's own. So, in summary, better safe than sorry.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Whay he said! In 39,700+ miles I have averaged from a low of 29.0 (80 mph average on an interstate into a very stiff headwind to 43.7 (really behaving myself obeying speed limits and no interstates).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have achieved 212 miles on our 2016 F3L.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default We generally Ryde the Blue Highways at the speed limit - 65 mph (67 on the Speedo)

Yesterday I rolled into the motel with all the bars on the gauge gone, and the fuel light on for 30 plus miles. I only had 196.4 miles on the tripmeter on my 15 RT and my wifes F3T still had a couple of bars left. She was my safety net to carry me to town if I ran out. Turns out I put 6.05 gals in the tank while she only needed a little more than 5.3 gals. I probably didn't quite top off at the last stop. Usually our range is right around 200 miles unless we push a lot of wind or hit higher speeds on the interstate. Like Jay and Utah said it varies; As far as when we stop, we had 4 water bottle stops and a lunch stop today in the 425 miles....and a couple of historical marker stops. Its just how we RYDE
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default 250+ miles; 400+ km

2017 F3L here, ridden spring to fall in Ontario, and winter in FL. Two-up at least 75% of the time; moderate ryding style - no burnouts, but not a slowpoke either. Always use premium fuel - 91 to 93 octane. Latest fill-up was 6 US gallons (23 L) with 239 miles (386 km) on the trip meter. That is pretty standard for our Spyder. I routinely go 250 miles (400 km) and still have enough left in the tank to probably go another 25 miles (40 km) if I had to, but haven't yet risked a totally dry tank, and don't really want to. I have ridden with all bars extinguished and found there was about 1/2 - 3/4 US gallon (2 - 3 L) left when I filled. I do put the pump nozzle only halfway in while filling to ensure I get a full tank, and I squeeze the handle a couple more times after the auto shut-off tries to cut flow. This way, I am getting pretty close to a maximum fill. Mileage performance will vary depending on weather. My best results have always occurred on warm, humid summer evenings, just after a rain; not as good in cooler, drier air.

Time/distance tolerance while in the saddle and in motion depends on seat quality and comfort - less than an hour on the stock BRP seat; almost double that using an AirHawk pad; about 2-1/2 to 3 hours straight when on my Ultimate seat. However, I do find it's better to stop for a short break every 75 - 90 minutes, and to find an interesting, out-of-the-way restaurant after a lovely 2-hour +/- ryde through the countryside. That's usually why we head out in the first place - back roads, beautiful scenery, a fun day. We don't usually concern ourselves with time spent, or worry about how much gas we burn. It's the Spyder ryde experience that really matters.
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-08-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I filled my ‘17 F3L today. With 201 miles on tank it took 5.05 gal to fill.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TANK EMPTY

2014 RT .... spirited driving ....274 miles , and then engine shut down ...... I had gas and was testing the mileage for a full tank of gas ...... after adding 750ml of gas it fired right up - no delay .....I only use 87 oct. with Alco. , plus 6 drops of Startron added ...... good luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Regularly get 41-42 MPG. That number drops about 5 MPG when cruising the interstate at speed. Figure 6 gal fuel between fill ups and that's how far I go. Haven't had to push yet.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I have averaged about 34 mpgs on my 2014 rt ltd. I usually don't ride her too hard. Don't know why I don't get more. Just had monster fuel flash the ecu and it dropped to about 30 mpgs. Still experimenting with it though. Does it hurt the bike to run her dry? Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    ......... Does it hurt the bike to run her dry? Thanks, Mike
    Yes, yes it does!! You may be lucky & get away with only doing some minute damage that's barely if at all noticeable, but modern fuel injection systems rely on the fuel flowing thru them for both lubrication and cooling - let the fuel level in the tank get below a litre or 2 & you are compromising both of those fairly critical features!! That means you are risking if not guaranteeing microscopic & irreversible damage to the fuel pump, the injector system, & the injectors themselves - and if an over-heated fuel injector nozzle should happen to blow off the injector proper & drop little shards of metal into the cylinder as the engine is running, there goes your engine!! Admittedly, the likelihood of that last one happening is pretty small, but it HAS & DOES occur every now & then, while the microscopic & irreversible damage throughout occurs waaaaayyy more often (pretty much always in fact!) so why risk it?!?

You know how much fuel goes into your tank, so give yourself a couple of litres leeway & apply your average mpg to the remaining quantity. If you want to work out your average milage, all you hafta do is Reset one of the 2 trip meters every time you fill up, then simply read off the service station pump how much gas its just taken to do whatever distance is shown on that trip meter; work out how many miles per gallon or kms per litre or litres per hundred km if that's what you prefer & there you are, an easy enough way to work out how far you should be able to go on a tank of gas! Do this fairly regularly, the more often you do, the better your resulting 'estimate of average fuel range' from a tank of gas will become over time, and the more reliably you can use 'most' of the gas in your tank without risking running dry or even just too low for the long term health & safety of your engine & injector system....

And as this & all the other threads on 'how far on a tank of gas' should have shown you, YOUR milage & therefore how far YOU can go on a tank of gas is very likely to be somewhat different to what most others might get - YOU hafta work it out for YOUR Spyder, the way you ryde it, the roads you ryde on, the loads you carry, the ambient weather conditions, and all those other things peculiarly unique to you & your ryding, where you are etc, the variables that make anyone elses avg mpg pretty much worth little more than a vaguely educated WAG - sure, their avg will be a little more helpful than a Stupid Wild Arsed Guess, but unless they ride like you, at the same speeds & acceleration rate as you, effectively ryding with you, on the same roads & on the same days & at the same time as you, it's only gonna be A LITTLE better!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2018 at 01:30 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default range

I usually go about two hundred miles between fill ups, I've only exceeded that once and went about two forty before the low fuel light came on. Unless I'm buzzing around town, I don't take chances and fill up at a quarter tank or so. Better safe than stranded on the side of the road.

Spyder Garage

The wife and i went for are first real ride, when heading to North Bay it started to rain and turn COLD .For us North Bay is 300 km or 200 miles,had to fill up part way as we would not have made it . On the way back got 41.4 mpg Can ,that has to be the worst gas mileage i have got out of all the bikes i have owned. The bike does ride better than any bike i have owned ,and handles good ,and has never fell over ,that"s a bonus.
    Last edited by stmike 1800; 05-20-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    2018 RTL , dark blue