Spyder Garage

Default Front End Vibration

Just took my new to me 2015 F3 for my first real ride. Around town it's great but got on the freeway and at 55 or so the front end starting vibrating and at 65-70 it's pretty severe The tires are new but I see only the old sticky backing and no weights,,TIRE BALANCE?? or Front Shocks..the bike has 29k miles...
    Last edited by StickerPatch; 05-05-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StickerPatch View Post
    Just took my new to me 2015 F3 for my first real ride. Around town it's great but got on the freeway and at 55 or so the front end starting vibrating and at 65-70 it's pretty severe The tires are new but I see only the old sticky backing and no weights,,TIRE BALANCE?? or Front Shocks..the bike has 29k miles...
    Kind of hard to trouble-shoot without knowing more, but most likely the wheel balancing. That's the place to start. Or, take it back to the dealer you bought it from.

Who put the tires on it and what kind are they?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

As previously stated it is most likely a tire balance problem at those types of speeds. It would be shocks primarily if hitting a bump were to trigger the vibs. My wingman has an F3 with the stock front shocks at 29k and has no problems! But what is more likely is if it has the Kenda's on it they are known for many issues including not being able to get them to run smoothly even after balancing.

Honestly, I would cut to the chase and replace them with something that will not only run smoothly but actually perform! There are options out there. I am using the Federal Formoza AZ01's on my F3-S and replaced the Kenda's at only 4500 miles due to lack of performance and vibration! And if you don't like looking at wheel weights like me, look into Lamonster Garage's Centramatic Wheel Balancers. They are a dynamic bead-in-fluid balancer that is mounted behind the wheel. They rock! Enjoy!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

They are Kenda's and I'd bet the dealer put them on. They are brand new and I'm betting they were put on when traded in..not being balanced when installed...not surprised a bit..the less I deal with the dealer the better..

Spyder Garage

All my vibs went away with a pair of Federal Formoza AZ01's AND the Lamonster front Centramatics, Spyder's so smooth an open glass in my handlebar cupholder doesn't slosh.....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Just talked to the dealer service and they put something in the tires for dynamic balance?? Going to have them balanced Monday.. as I said I don't like dealers..

Spyder Garage

Where did you get the Lamonster front Centramatics from, how much and the part number??

Spyder Garage

Just talked to the dealer service and they put something in the tires for dynamic balance?? Going to have them balanced Monday.. as I said I don't like dealers..
    So these are brand new tires you just had installed at the dealer. This fills in a lot of missing information.

It might be good to know what tire balancing product the dealer installed with the tires. Most internal and external balancing products will only compensate for a certain amount of 'Out of Balance' condition. Not to mention, it is very possible with Kenda tires that they are not round or have suffered cord separation. If so, it is not possible to balance them no matter what you do.

If you jack up the front of your Spyder and spin the tires. You can usually tell if you have an 'Out of Round' or cord separation issue. You might consider putting some decent tires on instead of the Kendas regardless of why you are having issues with balance.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-05-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Where did you get the Lamonster front Centramatics from, how much and the part number??
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/centr...ster-approved/

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Hypurone has responded with Lamonster’s address, but you need to bear in mind that some here have still had issues with the Centramatics and Kenda, as the Kendas were so far out of balance that the Centramatics couldn’t compensate.......but then, others have been using Kendas for years and have had no problems. It is fair so say that if you get a poorly made Kenda, it is VERY poorly made.

It does sound like you may have one or two poorly manufactured Kendas, and I personally would be wearing the cost of a couple of decent alternative tyres like the Federals, have them mounted with the tyre dot aligned to the valve stem, and you will find that they are a significant improvement over your current tyres even without balancing. You can then decide whether you want to go with weight balancing or the Centramatics if there is still some vibration.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless you requested they put that crap in there, they had no business doing it. Have them remove your tires and clean that **** out AT THEIR EXPENSE! This is what happens when ATV mechanics are expected to work on sophisticated motorcycles.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are Kenda's and I'd bet the dealer put them on. They are brand new and I'm betting they were put on when traded in..not being balanced when installed...not surprised a bit..the less I deal with the dealer the better..
    They put them on; let them fix the problem on their dime!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My plan is to try and balance the Kenda's today. If there is any question after that I will replace with Michelin's. I have no interest in letting the dealer touch the bike ever again...

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a couple federal famoza from carid..get them mounted locally..

Spyder Garage

Please keep posting updates, Sticker. This is valuable info (albeit at a significant cost to you, but hey.....I’m not worried )

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Chuck

Spyder Garage

My plan is to try and balance the Kenda's today. If there is any question after that I will replace with Michelin's. I have no interest in letting the dealer touch the bike ever again...
    I see you ordered some car tires. This should go a log way towards resolving your balance issue. Besides. You cannot spin balance tires that have an internal balancing product installed. If you're going to do that you have to spin balance first and then add the internal balancing product.

Any good tire person should tell you this before you spend any more money. But since you're going a completely different direction. I think you will be happy soon.

Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Federal Tires

I rec'd the tires and had them installed. The shop could not balance but they did mount them with the balance dot to the stem. His balancer didn't have the proper spacers but he thought they were close... damned if he wasn't dead on!! No vibration at all up to 75. I will look into the Lamonster set up but I threw the Kenda's in the trash. The dealer had put some sort of dry balance but that would not have fixed the out of round issue. Thanks to all for the advice..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire balance

I rec'd the tires and had them installed. The shop could not balance but they did mount them with the balance dot to the stem. His balancer didn't have the proper spacers but he thought they were close... damned if he wasn't dead on!! No vibration at all up to 75. I will look into the Lamonster set up but I threw the Kenda's in the trash. The dealer had put some sort of dry balance but that would not have fixed the out of round issue. Thanks to all for the advice..
    I reported here a couple of months ago that I DIDN"T spin or do other balance for my 8 wheels I recently mounted with new tires. I did what your shop did and just put the Red dot at the valve ..... smooth as silk ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just had the junk Kendas replaced with Federal AZ01s. No more vibration, no more shaking windshield. Feels like a brand new bike.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

First, guarantee that it's from the tires. Maybe you need an idler arm to stabilize the belt. The speeds you describe are commensurate with a vibrating belt. Just tossing out ideas.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey