Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F3 SM6 read shock question

I am needing to upgrade the stock shock on my 17 F3. I see BRP has the occasional two up shock which looks the same as the standard shock but with a beefier spring. Has anyone changed just the spring on the shock instead of spending $200 on an basically similar shock? My bike is brand new with like 300 miles on it so it’s not in need of replacement. Or does BRP not make that upsized spring available? Or has anyone put a shock from a different bike in instead? Looking for ideas.

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the 2 up shock. It works great but no compression nor damping adjustments. So if you want to "fine tune" It won't be for you.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

To clarify my question was can I get just the bigger spring and have it installed on my standard standard oem shock body?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Robocopf7 View Post
    To clarify my question was can I get just the bigger spring and have it installed on my standard standard oem shock body?

I did try but they don't list it by itself only as a complete unit.

But then I managed to get them to replace it under warranty as it was no good just for me and I am only 93kg let alone with a pillion on the back and it was sold to me as a 2 up Spyder with a back rest on it.
    Good on you BRP.
    Last edited by Bruce B; 05-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Robocopf7 View Post
    You can swap just the spring. You need to know the ID, free length of the oem spring, and spring rating (lb/in). I do not know what the F3 spring rate is; for my 2012 RTS and 2013 ST, I found a 800 lb/in rate spring worked well with my 190 lb solo riding weight. If you have to guess because noone else knows, I would use a 800 lb/in spring if you are close to my weight. You will still have to remove the shock, then remove the spring to verify free length and installed lenght. The difference between the 2 is the preload amount. If you want to be sure, I can measure the spring rate and post the results so you can be sure what spring to order. You'd have to cover shipping both ways. Eibach (red) or hypercoil (blue springs). Cost of 1 spring is only about $75-$90. Does this help?

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

I was given good info by a member.
    The Lt shock has a heavier spring and it will fit.
    part no.
    # 706001707

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Good news. I hate to see needing to buy a whole new shock for just the spring. Does anyone have a pic of the LT spring?