Spyder Garage

Default New tires..and whats up with the brakes?

Rcvd my tires today for my Spyder. its been a long time coming since my Spyder has been garaged for the past 4 years or so. I did get it out last summer, but near the end of the summer, I did not feel safe on the tires. Ok..they are the originals from 08, so they probably werent safe anyway. Anyway, I am going with a Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 for the rear and Sumic GT-A 175/65R14 for the fronts. Now...the brakes. I was in the process of changing the front pads and those clips on the backs of the pads pushed all of my buttons. Why Can Am? Why? I guess it will be a major exercise in patience changing those out. maybe a bit of grinding here and there will do the trick. if any of you with older model Spyders have any tips or tricks, please pass the info on...it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks.

tires.jpg

Spyder Garage

No grinding needed. Just pull straight up before you compress the pistons back in. You'll prolly need to use a needle nose pliers to help you tug on them. Also, depending on which brake pads you buy, you most likely have to reuse those little clip things on the back of the pads. They're irritating to pull out, but once you do one, the rest will be easy.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed my front vredstein during the week & will have the kumho ast rear installed next week. put lamonts tire
    slop in there for flat prevention, did so on the trailer also

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
    No grinding needed. Just pull straight up before you compress the pistons back in. You'll prolly need to use a needle nose pliers to help you tug on them. Also, depending on which brake pads you buy, you most likely have to reuse those little clip things on the back of the pads. They're irritating to pull out, but once you do one, the rest will be easy.

I understand what you are saying...getting the pads out of the caliper is no problem. Its putting those clips on the new pads that is an issue. The tabs are a hair longer than the OEM pads...thats what I plan on grinding just a tad. Thanks for your input...always appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I installed my front vredstein during the week & will have the kumho ast rear installed next week. put lamonts tire
    slop in there for flat prevention, did so on the trailer also

I am really excited to see how that Kumho handles. Should be a huge improvement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jayallday01 View Post
    I understand what you are saying...getting the pads out of the caliper is no problem. Its putting those clips on the new pads that is an issue. The tabs are a hair longer than the OEM pads...thats what I plan on grinding just a tad. Thanks for your input...always appreciated.

Ahhh, gotcha. The EBC pads I have didn't need the grinding. What pads did you get?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
    Ahhh, gotcha. The EBC pads I have didn't need the grinding. What pads did you get?
    Ahh..see, thats my issue probably. I did not buy EBC brakes. I bought these...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I will just save myself the headache and get the EBCs.