Spyder Garage

Default Stone Protection and Faded Black Plastic

The nose of my 2012 RT has a layer of back "stone chip protection" paint on it, but its half gone. What can I use to refreshen it? Also much of the black plastic on my Spyder has faded to grey. Is there a product that will bring it back to deep black? Tried Armour All...didn't work.

Spyder Garage

You might want to give Mother's Back To Black a try. I came across it at an auto parts store. It won't perform miracles but it's pretty darned good at doing what it claims.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    You might want to give Mother's Back To Black a try. I came across it at an auto parts store. It won't perform miracles but it's pretty darned good at doing what it claims.
    I tried the back to black was not happy with results. Thinking of trying Hydro Dipping
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure Lamonster has a product Called Trim Renew and some demonstration videos of a product he tested and recommended for returning the faded black plastic back to black.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-03-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added link to Trim Renew
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I used Rustoleum spray on bedliner as a chip guard on my trailer. Works great, comes in a spray can. So far hasn't faded. You might also look at Plastikote spray. If you don't like it just peel it off.

Spyder Garage

Default Rattle can!

I bought a 2008 GS, the black plastic was ASH colored, it was so bad from being in the sun. Bought a couple cans of "Trim Paint" matte black at auto store. Removed the plastic (dash, nose, rear, etc.) and had a painting party. Wipe down with alcohol. Spray a coat, let dry for 5 mins, gentle warm up with a hair dryer. Repeat 2 - 3 times for a heavier application. All parts look BRAND NEW now. Doesn't fix road rash on nose or big stone chips, but you can't really see them too much now.

I also tried expensive liquids - not even close. Darkened it up, yes. But did not last a month.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    The nose of my 2012 RT has a layer of back "stone chip protection" paint on it, but its half gone. What can I use to refreshen it? Also much of the black plastic on my Spyder has faded to grey. Is there a product that will bring it back to deep black? Tried Armour All...didn't work.

Spyder Garage

Default Its a Plastic Stick On...like a Decal

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    After taking a very close look at the "nose guard" with the faded stone chip paint, I discovered that its actually part of a plastic stick on, like a decal. I can see the edges...it runs across the nose (and under) and runs up about a foot above the nose, covering all but the badge! If I knew I could get another one, I'd consider peeling it off, and replacing it...but I don't know if they're available, or if this was a custom thing. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

PS...I decided on Maquires Ultimate Black plastic restorer. Will probably take a couple of coats, but does a decent job. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Stone Protection

Ziebart offers a plastic Decal coat for Paint/Stone Protection. Not sure if this is what you already have installed.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The best stuff I have found is Dexron 4 ATF. Works wonders on black faded plastic

Spyder Garage

I use the armor all tire cleaner on the bike and my cars, works great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I bought a 2008 GS, the black plastic was ASH colored, it was so bad from being in the sun. Bought a couple cans of "Trim Paint" matte black at auto store. Removed the plastic (dash, nose, rear, etc.) and had a painting party. Wipe down with alcohol. Spray a coat, let dry for 5 mins, gentle warm up with a hair dryer. Repeat 2 - 3 times for a heavier application. All parts look BRAND NEW now. Doesn't fix road rash on nose or big stone chips, but you can't really see them too much now.

I also tried expensive liquids - not even close. Darkened it up, yes. But did not last a month.

Steve
    This sounds like a good idea. I've used back to black and the trim renew from Lamonster. While it does work ok, it doesn't last very long before it turns back to an ashy grey. Plus when it gets wet its streaky. I may paint mine this way.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Default You won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    This sounds like a good idea. I've used back to black and the trim renew from Lamonster. While it does work ok, it doesn't last very long before it turns back to an ashy grey. Plus when it gets wet its streaky. I may paint mine this way.
    I spent about 3 hours tearing down all the black plastic. Used a lint free cloth and a bottle of alcohol to wipe it all down. After spraying a layer, let it sit for about 10 minutes to flash off the solvents. Use a hair dryer about 6" from surface to warm it up and "cure" fast. Apply a second coat. Looks brand new! Mine has gotten rained on a few times, sits in the sun at work. Still brand new looking. Well worth the effort.

Steve

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Over the years, I've found all those "magic" treatment sprays are at best temporary. You have to keep using them but as soon as you stop the plastic dries out and goes grey again. The only permanent way is paint or plasti-dip.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks, All!

I found a Maguiers product that does the job on the faded black. We get some intense sun light here in NC, so I'll watch to see if it fades. Sp far, its looking good.

I used a spray of textured paint (stone chip type) from Rustoleum on the nose area. Its a rubberized sort of spray paint. The maker says its peelable, so if I don't like it, I can peel it off. Looks like I have both issues covered.

Thanks for your suggestions! Your input is much appreciated!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take the decal off and use plastic dip.

See a lot of people using that these days.