Thread: Belt Tensioner

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

Does anyone have a belt tensioner installed on an RS model? I'm researching the idea of installing a tensioner on my 2014 RS and I haven't found much. Would like to hear about or see some ideas from those that have been successful. Thanks for any and all advice provided.

Spyder Garage

Default I do...

I have the smoothspyder original tensioner and it works well. The newer ones are better and I think it's the only one for the GS,RS, RSS and ST out there...they're on the home page...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

What Gene said; I want one just have been too cheap to go there.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, I'll check them out.

Al, I just checked them out, the price is an eye opener!!

Spyder Garage

I just put a Baker Built Tensioner on my 2012 RS... Seems to work fine but only have about 120 miles on it..

Spyder Garage

I fitted a Rosta tension when I first got my GS. It has a car idler pulley attached to the arm. It's mounted to a bracket I made which is clamped by 2 bolts & plates to the swing arm. It been there for nearly 9 years. I'll be replacing the pulley at next tyre change. The arm is rubber mounted within the square section of the mounting Rosta lug.

https://www.rostaaustralia.com.au/pr...ails.php?id=71

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I fitted a Rosta tension when I first got my GS. It has a car idler pulley attached to the arm. It's mounted to a bracket I made which is clamped by 2 bolts & plates to the swing arm. It been there for nearly 9 years. I'll be replacing the pulley at next tyre change. The arm is rubber mounted within the square section of the mounting Rosta lug.

https://www.rostaaustralia.com.au/pr...ails.php?id=71

Which model rosta and do you have some better pictures?
    thanks, David

Spyder Garage

Type SE18 as shown in the link. I'll endeavour to do better pix soon - away from trike at present.

It functions not as a tensioner as such but as a 'harmonic vibration damper' for the belt. When the trike is loaded 2-up with luggage there is only very slight tension on the belt, which is enough to prevent the belt vibes which annoy us all. With the bike parked there is more tension on the belt as the suspension is unloaded. It therefore requires a third person to make the adjustment while the trike is fully loaded.
    Last edited by Freddy; 05-03-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Type SE as shown in the link. I'll endeavour to do better pix soon - away from trike at present.
    I have built my own also. Used a different type set up. Here is the one I built.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-RS-GS-Spyders
    I might one day look into the Rosta tensioner when mine goes bad. So far it has held up great. I have ordered more wheels and bearing for replacement, but still running the same wheel at present.
    David

Spyder Garage

It's mounted with a bracket like this.

The top and bottom corners of the inner plate are angled to clear the underside of the tank and the exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Freddy and Warlock, both of you have very interesting designs.

Freddy, do you have an idea of approximate cost for your design? I like the straight forwardness of it and that it doesn't require any frame mods.

Spyder Garage

Freddy, the brackets you fabricated to clamp around the frame appear to be very thick. Did you determine the thickness was necessary, or was it a matter of what was available at the time? I just bought a rosta tensioner from ebay, will be looking for other materials to fab my own tensioner following your design.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimz49 View Post
    Freddy, the brackets you fabricated to clamp around the frame appear to be very thick. Did you determine the thickness was necessary, or was it a matter of what was available at the time? I just bought a rosta tensioner from ebay, will be looking for other materials to fab my own tensioner following your design.
    Which tensioner did you get? I was looking at the SE15. I'm always looking to improve or make it simple . Keep me posted on how you come out and what materials you use. I used a roller skate wheel with double bearing for my tensioner and if I go the SE tensioner I will probably use the same type wheel.
    David

Spyder Garage

I bought the SE15. I was looking at some of the automotive idler pulleys, thought they might be a good fit because they're made for long-term high revolution use. The prices are very reasonable too. Just have to decide how I want to fab my frame clamp. freddy's design looks straight forward requiring little to no special tools to make. Also looking at this type as an alternative.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

here's an example of an idler pulley I'm looking at. Less than $10, can't beat the price, just not sure of the width yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimz49 View Post
    I bought the SE15. I was looking at some of the automotive idler pulleys, thought they might be a good fit because they're made for long-term high revolution use. The prices are very reasonable too. Just have to decide how I want to fab my frame clamp. freddy's design looks straight forward requiring little to no special tools to make. Also looking at this type as an alternative.
    My buddy has this style on his spyder. I think the SE15 is the way to go. If I had known about this piece I would have went this way instead of the way I went. His way is way cheaper and very efficient. I think I had around $175.00 in my set up. The risers and the low and brow piece was that cost. I found a place to get the SE 15 for around $35 , but haven't checked the shipping at that cost.
    David

Spyder Garage

The bracket is 8x32mm flat steel which I had lying around. The assembly only cost me the price of the Rosta SE18 tensioner and the idler pulley and an hour or 2 to make it. I believe an SE15 would also do the job nicely too.
    Last edited by Freddy; 05-03-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

The bracket is 8x32mm flat steel which I had lying around. The assembly only cost me the price of the Rosta SE18 tensioner and the idler pulley and an hour or 2 to make it. I believe an SE15 would also do the job nicely too.
    If I was looking at the SE 18 set at 10 degrees would put around 16 lbs of pressure using the standard hole and the SE 15 would apply around 5 lbs. A lot of difference in weight applied. Of course you could set the SE 15 to around 20 degrees and get around 15 lbs of pressure on the belt. So I feel either one will work. Thanks for posting the info on it.
    David

Spyder Garage

The tension applied depends on the load on the trike and the adjustment of the tensioner with that particular load. The greater the load, the less deflection of the belt. As I mentioned, I have mine adjusted to provide slight belt deflection with the trike fully loaded. This eliminates the belt vibe. I have not measured the force applied by the tensioner in that circumstance as I wasn't concerned.

Spyder Garage

The tension applied depends on the load on the trike and the adjustment of the tensioner with that particular load. The greater the load, the less deflection of the belt. As I mentioned, I have mine adjusted to provide slight belt deflection with the trike fully loaded. This eliminates the belt vibe. I have not measured the force applied by the tensioner in that circumstance as I wasn't concerned.
    Agree. If I go this route will probably like yourself play with the setting. Mine is spring loaded and really hard to tell unless I put a scale on it.
    David