Thread: First Service

Spyder Garage

Default First Service

I know the manual says first service at 3000 miles but I have a question. What would happen if you wait to 6000 miles! Just seems like a waiste of oil to do at 3000!

Spyder Garage

You've laid out a lot of dough for a very expensive and sophisticated machine for which the allegedly educated designers and engineers have said you should change the oil and filter the first time at 3,000 miles, not to mention at least have a dealer check a list of things other than the oil change -- or do the whole job yourself. IMO, one of the biggest reasons you want to change it at 3K will be ovbious to you when you pull the clutch cover drain plug and see all the residual metal shavings on the drain plug magnet, and get that oil out of the machine and any contaminants the filter has trapped during the break in of the engine. Using your logic, why waste the money for an oil change at 6,000, save more dough and just run it to 9,300 miles. If anything goes wrong and you cannot prove you had that initial oil and filter change done at about 3,000 miles you could see your manufacturer's warranty going right down the drain along with a bunch of dirty oil and money you allegedly saved. It's your Spyder and your wallet.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The upside: the twin cylinders required a first service at 600 miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Is this the 1st NEW vehicle you have ever owned ?

Probably 90% of the first 100,000 miles of engine wear, is going to occur during the "break in" period.

I would say postponing the first service is like putting 2 bullets in play, in Russian roulette.

It may work for you, but not for me.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't stretch it.

Spyder Garage

You could and probably will lose your warranty.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    I know the manual says first service at 3000 miles but I have a question. What would happen if you wait to 6000 miles! Just seems like a waiste of oil to do at 3000!

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Agree with the others. Likely you'd be ok, unless you're not. If there was any internal engine component failure, it wouldn't hard to make a good case that it was due to not changing the oil. At worst you'd lose the fight and have to foot the entire repair bill. At best, you'd get it covered under warranty, but it would be a painful process and fight to endure.

That first maintenance isn't cheap but from there on out it's fairly infrequent if you abide by the manual and change at 9300 mile intervals.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First Service

For peace of mind. The 3,000 mile Service is the best way to go for your Spyder. Then follow the operation manual and you will be good to go.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default First Service

I guess what’s confusing to me is I have read several posts of people who have done there 3000 Mile service themselves! Basically an oil change. If you do the oil change yourself does that void the warranty?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    I guess what’s confusing to me is I have read several posts of people who have done there 3000 Mile service themselves! Basically an oil change. If you do the oil change yourself does that void the warranty?
    No, the 3K oil change does not have to be done by a dealer. You should simply keep records of your parts purchases (I scan and file receipts) and make some kind of memo note of when you did the oil change and the mileage. I am one of those who advocates having the dealership to the 3k service to check over all the items listed in the service schedule. After that point I do most of the stuff myself except where B.U.D.S. is needed, like at the 2 year brake fluid flush. I fork over the $$ to have the dealer do it so the complete ABS system can be flushed.

If you're interested in doing the 3K oil change yourself, there is an excellent video by a very competent, certified BRP Spyder technician at this link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeb...ature=youtu.be.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Dont know the laws in the US but here as long as you keep proof ie part receipts then no issues. During the warranty period I did do my own servicing most of the time though I used the can-am filters and oil. Once out of warranty switched to the filters Bajaron sells though still use canam oil.

I personally do oil and filter changes more frequently than the manual says, have done with all my bikes - well since I blew up an engine on a honda that was overdue a service:-)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can do your own oil changes but don't skip the 3,000 break in change. Then your next changes will be at 9.300 mile intervals.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 05-02-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You can do your own oil changes but don't skip the 3,000 break in service. Then your next changes will be at 9.300 mile intervals.
    9300 miles is what the owners manual says but I personally wouldn't wait that long. I think 5000 to 6000 miles is a more reasonable mileage interval. But like others have said, keep all your receipts for the oil and filters, if you decide to do your own oil changes.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I have been told by competent mechanics that a big reason to have the dealer do the first 3000 service is to check over the bike for missing or loose items which could cause a warranty claim down the road. The factory isn't perfect of course and just another reason to have the bike checked over by a ""company guy or gal" to protect yourself. Then the next oil change can be done by yourself.

2017 F3T Black
    2016 RT LTD Black - Traded
    2015 Indian Chief Vintage Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    9300 miles is what the owners manual says but I personally wouldn't wait that long. I think 5000 to 6000 miles is a more reasonable mileage interval. But like others have said, keep all your receipts for the oil and filters, if you decide to do your own oil changes.
    I had the oil (Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40) analyzed and it was still good at 8,600 miles.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Well I bit the bullet and scheduled my first service! They told me I need to put some miles on it cause I only have 2500 on it and I bought my F3T one year ago! Have been trying to sell it! Oh well dealer told me the cost would be $190.00

Spyder Garage

The first service is due at one year or 3000 miles which ever comes first. If your bike is a year old, take it in and get the service done. Your dealer telling you to put it off is incorrect.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame